PDA

View Full Version : Now was the time to plan your garden!

Dieseler
12-25-2008, 12:02 PM
You see the threads pop up all through the Summer growing season but all good gardeners know that now is the time to plan.
If you're looking to start a garden this year don't wait!
Plan it now and do your research early.
It will pay off when the time to harvest comes.
I'm just a newb at this myself but I have learned my lesson on garden planning and trust me, now is the time to get your stuff together.

Everyone interested should find a good gardening thread and bump it to the top.
I have a feeling this is the year that the home gardener will truly shine.
Oh yeah, and Merry Christmas!

Melissa
12-25-2008, 12:34 PM
thanks great idea, I am new at gardens too and wanted to do it last year but kept seeing it was too late so thanks for reminding me and Merry Christmas

angelatc
12-25-2008, 12:41 PM
I bought a tiller at a closeout price while Chirstmas shopping. Now I am scoping out the places to put it, and considering if I should put in some sort of auto watering system in. We have 5 acres, and there are spigots in several places out and about.

pacelli
12-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Definitely. Check with your county cooperative extension office (online) and get an idea of the last spring frost dates. Then plan ahead for starting seeds in advance of that frost date.

smithtg
12-25-2008, 01:25 PM
yeah, us southerners in Houston can plant "spring" crops after jan 1. I start my tomato seeds mid to end of january so that I can transplant them by march 1 lol

its so hot here in june and july it just kills everything though besides okra

ingrid
12-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I'm doing the same. Researching what different crops need. Planning on having a more self-sufficient garden this year. We usually just had tomatoes and radicchio in the past.

Acala
12-28-2008, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the reminder. I read this post, got up and started my tomato and hot pepper seedlings. Then I pulled all the dead plant material out of the garden and used it to start a new compost pile. I turned the old pile over on top of the new material and shoveled a wheel barrow full of compost off the bottom of the old pile into the garden. When it warms up I will work it in and plant the winter/spring crop.

I don't have much land in cultivation so I am leaning toward using the garden to grow things that add flavor and vitamins to food rather than trying to produce substantial protein and carbs.

But maybe a group of RP supporters will buy a little chunk of workable land together where we can grow a substantial amount of food . . .

MrNick
12-29-2008, 01:09 PM
I've always wanted a garden even as a little kid, but never have the time. I think I might start this spring. It seems relaxing and home grown food taste so much better. My grandpa used to grow most his vegetables and they were amazing.