PDA

View Full Version : TSHTF Scenario Now Hitting DETROIT!

sharpsteve2003
12-24-2008, 04:38 AM
From george4title on YouTube
TSHTF Scenario Now Hitting DETRIOT! Average home price $18,513 - Unemployment rate 21%
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r_NMqm1ZPA

Average home price $18,513 - Unemployment rate 21%
http://www.tribbleagency.com/?p=3598
Detroit is facing a crisis of epic proportions that officially puts Detroit statistically (and real term) on par with the great depression.

It has become the center of all that is wrong with America… and nothing of what is right.

It's a Grim Economy
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28358676/

Blame the banking meltdown. Tight credit is a Christmas problem. And it's hurting car sales. Toyota today reported its first loss since 1941!! Bad news for Chrysler and g-m, who are promising more cars like Toyota makes. "It's not just small cars - everybody says that's the key to the future. that's not the answer. It's cost cutting." The 17 billion cost of the Detroit bailout... 700 billion for the Wall Street bailout... and at least 850 billion for soon-to-be-president Barack Obama's second stimulus package. "I can't predict whether it's going to be $1 trillion or something less than that. It's going to be large."

nobody's_hero
12-24-2008, 05:21 AM
Oh man, that's so misleading it's wrong.

Yeah, things are bad in Detroit, but we need a RPF glossary of what terms like "SHTF" means.

Update me when government buildings are burning and tear gas is being launched—that's what I'd call SHTF.

Everyone around here thinks their homes are worth 7-digit figures. Which is why they still haven't sold. The free market can't set the prices with government coming in and propping them up. I suppose the other side of the coin is having an 18,000 dollar house and it being in an area where a quarter of the people are unemployed. Detroit has been a bit of a shithole for a while now, and I don't mean any offense to anyone who lives there. It just isn't like I'm surprised at the deteriorating conditions.

I do agree that it will spread. So soon, we'll all be living in shitholes.

Cowlesy
12-24-2008, 07:09 AM
SHTF in ghemminger's mind maybe

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
12-24-2008, 07:11 AM
yeah that is not good but it is nowhere near as bad as things are probably going to get in 09. I hope I am wrong but I tend to doubt it!

FindLiberty
12-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Happy Holidays - here is a 12/24/2014 future SHTF scenario to be avoided:

...apple pie scented nerve agent wafting down the streets, tanks rolling along, snow plows pushing bodies into piles, wide spread gasoline, natural gas and electricity outages, burning homes and cities, overloaded hospitals, total monetary collapse, food shortage, mass panic, riots and wandering homeless struggling to survive in sub-zero weather.

The living will be calling these "the good old days" (conditions in Detroit on 12/24/2008).

Agent CSL
12-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Yeah.. My SHTF scenario is basically WW3. Detroit does look like the former soviet union, though.

ghengis86
12-24-2008, 08:30 AM
detroit (and flint) have been shitholes for years.

ghemminger
12-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Bump!

ihsv
12-24-2008, 11:05 AM
SHTF is where everybody goes postal, and the post office stops delivering bills to your door :D

Seriously, a depression-level economy in itself doesn't constitute SHTF.

angelatc
12-24-2008, 11:20 AM
detroit (and flint) have been shitholes for years.

Yeah, it amazes me that people from Mexico can walk to Illinois, find jobs, and take over entire towns, but the fine folks in Detroit can't.

That's one of the arguments against illegal immigration - it harms the black community.

And the state government doesn't help either. They should be eliminating business taxes, and instead they raised them so high that businesses simply packed up and left.

Detroit is a port city. They should be thriving and vibrant with all the stuff that we buy from everywhere else.

ghemminger
12-24-2008, 01:54 PM
SHTF is where everybody goes postal, and the post office stops delivering bills to your door :D

Seriously, a depression-level economy in itself doesn't constitute SHTF.

ok..maybey SHTF is over the top...what title would you suggest?

LiveToWin
12-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Just incase you have not taken the slight hint that the other posters are trying to convey, but cheap houses and high unemployment is not a SHTF sceneraio. When the SHTF, assuming we still have internet connection, everyone on this forum will make it quite clear that the S has indeed HTF.

Kotin
12-24-2008, 03:32 PM
SHTF in ghemminger's mind maybe

+1

ghemminger
12-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Just incase you have not taken the slight hint that the other posters are trying to convey, but cheap houses and high unemployment is not a SHTF sceneraio. When the SHTF, assuming we still have internet connection, everyone on this forum will make it quite clear that the S has indeed HTF.

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=SHTF

Sorry, but your definition is not exact, actually it is open to interpretation...

nobody's_hero
12-25-2008, 11:08 AM
I thought SHTF is when government wrecks your life and you throw it right back in the government's face.

When the government wrecks your life and you and your whole city are running right back to that same government for help and hand-outs, that's not SHTF. That's just insanity. You might call it the 'battered-wife syndrome', but definitely not 'SHTF.'

If I had to pick a title, it'd be too long, but:

More government-induced crap happening to "we the people" that "we the people" are going to simply grin and bear because that's just the way we handle tyranny these days—not doing anything about it.

xd9fan
12-26-2008, 11:17 AM
whats new here???

hotbrownsauce
12-26-2008, 02:49 PM
SHTF I thought meant "Sh*t hits the fan"

libertarian4321
12-26-2008, 04:44 PM
From george4title on YouTube
TSHTF Scenario Now Hitting DETRIOT! Average home price $18,513 -

Okay, I keep seeing this number thrown around, but its never attributed to a reputable source. It seems highly unlikely that the average home price is $18k for the entire city- you might see that in sections of the city that are extremely run down, but not the entire city.

Last week's copy of Business Week gave the avg. home value for most of the major cities in the USA- it had Detroit at the bottom, but at $83,000, not $18,000.

Matt Collins
12-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Who cares? If it isn't doing well, then move out of the area. Why is that so difficult?

Kludge
12-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Who cares? If it isn't doing well, then move out of the area. Why is that so difficult?

20-60% hit in house value is hard to swallow. Easily a loss of 20-80k for people should they choose to sell if where they move isn't being hit as hard, not including agent fees, and assuming you can actually sell your house. I doubt many people could even pay their bank back after selling.

Dustancostine
12-26-2008, 10:38 PM
20-60% hit in house value is hard to swallow. Easily a loss of 20-80k for people should they choose to sell if where they move isn't being hit as hard, not including agent fees, and assuming you can actually sell your house. I doubt many people could even pay their bank back after selling.

Your stuff (including your house) is only worth what someone will pay for it. If what people will pay for it is down 20-60%, then you have already lost.

And I think Matt was talking about the 21% of people with no jobs. Get the heck out and go to a place to where there are jobs.

Just don't migrate to Texas, we have no jobs. :D

Matt Collins
12-26-2008, 11:26 PM
No, I meant who wants to live in a filthy scumhole impoverished cold northern wasteland with a bunch of Yankees? Not me! Unless I'm making a ton of money (or working in DC), I'll NEVER live north of the Mason Dixon line.

ingrid
12-27-2008, 01:31 PM
I saw this thread and thought rioting had broken out there. House prices have been low there for a long time. I do think that when things get really bad Detroit will probably be the first city (or one of them) where large scale rioting will break out.

angelatc
12-27-2008, 03:25 PM
I saw this thread and thought rioting had broken out there. House prices have been low there for a long time. I do think that when things get really bad Detroit will probably be the first city (or one of them) where large scale rioting will break out.

Oh yeah, they burn the city down once every 25 years or so. And they're due.

angelatc
12-27-2008, 03:26 PM
No, I meant who wants to live in a filthy scumhole impoverished cold northern wasteland with a bunch of Yankees? Not me! Unless I'm making a ton of money (or working in DC), I'll NEVER live north of the Mason Dixon line.

I don't blame you. Employers up north make you work harder and smarter than employers in the south. It is hard for southerners to adapt.

slacker921
12-27-2008, 03:36 PM
I don't blame you. Employers up north make you work harder and smarter than employers in the south. It is hard for southerners to adapt.

lol.. I was reading a month or so ago about the auto workers who relocated to work in the Southern (non-union) plants. They had to go through training to learn to work again since they were used to union paced work from the North.

ingrid
12-30-2008, 02:36 PM
This thread made me remember an older article I read

Grocery closings hit Detroit hard
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070705/METRO/707050349/1003

RevolutionSD
12-30-2008, 02:40 PM
This thread made me remember an older article I read

Grocery closings hit Detroit hard
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070705/METRO/707050349/1003

Shouldn't we bail them out too??

I mean, people are losing JOBS! We MUST rob other people to make sure jobs are not lost!! :eek:

ingrid
12-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Shouldn't we bail them out too??

I mean, people are losing JOBS! We MUST rob other people to make sure jobs are not lost!! :eek:

The coalition is calling on the community to assist in securing the funding necessary for purchasing land, making renovations, and purchasing needed items to open the business...To ensure the task force receives wide community support, the public is invited to a meeting with elected officials to secure commitments to ensure a healthier Detroit.

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS184411+17-Sep-2008+PRN20080917

:rolleyes:

mediahasyou
12-30-2008, 03:35 PM
http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1864272_1810098,00.html