PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul vs. Fred Thompson

X_805
05-30-2007, 01:22 PM
What are some issues they agree on and what are some they disagree on? How can we convince Thompson supporters to support Dr. Paul?

winston_blade
05-30-2007, 01:25 PM
"How can we convince Thompson supporters to support Dr. Paul?"

Tell them to wake up.

Thompson isn't even the most qualified person on the Law and Order series to be a candidate for president (Ice T is), let alone most qualified person in the country.

X_805
05-30-2007, 01:28 PM
"How can we convince Thompson supporters to support Dr. Paul?"

Tell them to wake up.

Thompson isn't even the most qualified person on the Law and Order series to be a candidate for president (Ice T is), let alone most qualified person in the country.

We need more than just telling them to wake up. Most "conservatives" I know really want him.

qednick
05-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Yup, I've also had the exact same problem lately. My biggest selling point is the fact that he's still a pro-war neo-con and member of the CFR. Seems to some people though that a famous face from a TV show is all they need to make up their minds and close out all other possibilities. :mad:

lucky
05-30-2007, 01:32 PM
We need more than just telling them to wake up. Most "conservatives" I know really want him.
Many love actors and think if they look good then they must be good. If he decides to run then we will see if he has the sincerity and honesty (facts can be checked and refuted) to be the next president. So far he is just like any other candidate except Ron Paul and Thompson will fail. He will dilute the candidates though that are running against Ron Paul.

X_805
05-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Yup, I've also had the exact same problem lately. My biggest selling point is the fact that he's still a pro-war neo-con and member of the CFR. Seems to some people though that a famous face from a TV show is all they need to make up their minds and close out all other possibilities. :mad:

Dr. Paul's strongest aspect is that he is very much for individual liberty and freedom (which I think is the true desire of all Americans). If Mr. Thompson can appear weak on that issue, as every other candidate besides Dr. Paul does, then there is a possibility to bring some people over.

Many love actors and think if they look good then they must be good. If he decides to run then we will see if he has the sincerity and honesty (facts can be checked and refuted) to be the next president. So far he is just like any other candidate except Ron Paul and Thompson will fail. He will dilute the candidates though that are running against Ron Paul.

Yeah. Ron Paul is so far the only peace candidate the Republican party has, and I believe that a large segment of the conservative base is now for peace, but I do not know for sure.

rg123
05-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Thompson needs to be attacked through the NAU and connections to the CFR Council of Forgein Realtions, and his Illegal Immigrations stances does not grade well there is plenty of info to be had on him @ http://www.alipac.us/index.php

do a search there for Fred Thompson you will find alot of info

The Gop and Michelle Malkin, Hot Air, Pajamas Media, Fox, whom so happen by the way are 90% of Freds support
in the polls are heavy Bush backers more of the same stuff Neo-con Globalism
when ever Fred speaks he say global this n gobal that. He will be Rons biggest
challenge. He has face recognition and is a excellent speaker But a definite NAU
guy

X_805
05-30-2007, 01:49 PM
Thompson needs to be attacked through the NAU and connections to the CFR Council of Forgein Realtions, and his Illegal Immigrations stances does not grade well there is plenty of info to be had on him @ http://www.alipac.us/index.php

do a search there for Fred Thompson you will find alot of info

The Gop and Michelle Malkin, Hot Air, Pajamas Media, Fox, whom so happen by the way are 90% of Freds support
in the polls are heavy Bush backers more of the same stuff Neo-con Globalism
when ever Fred speaks he say global this n gobal that. He will be Rons biggest
challenge. He has face recognition and is a excellent speaker But a definite NAU
guy

I am so glad to be free for the summer so I can work on building up support for a true freedom candidate instead more of the same stuff that I believe the American people are tired of.

I think we need to make "soundbites" for Ron Paul. It's a sad state that our country is in when people only listen for a few seconds to determine the issues, but we must appeal to the electorate. Thompson has good soundbites because he already has a huge political machine attached to him. Paul doesn't quite have any good ones... yet. ;)

Freedom
05-30-2007, 01:59 PM
What are some issues they agree on and what are some they disagree on? How can we convince Thompson supporters to support Dr. Paul?

You can use the 2008 SelectSmart.com Presidential Candidate Selector (http://www.selectsmart.com/president/2008.html) web tool to help them find how various candidates compare to their own views. Once you have answered the questions about the various issues, the tool shows you how the candidates compare to your ideal candidate. At that point you can compare one candidate against the other.

Kuldebar
05-30-2007, 02:01 PM
As I read in another blog, everything you need to know:

Fred Dalton Thompson . . . is being backed by insiders from the past three Republican administrations. . . ."

I am sure having an actor to add "realism" to the political theater that passes as substance would be a great move and having a person that can complete a whole sentence without butchering the English language would be a plus in the eyes of political handlers...but American's are finally waking up to reality that smooth, polished, tepid answers and oh so carefully tailored sound bite driven politicians do not equate to truth in politics.

Korey Kaczynski
05-30-2007, 02:04 PM

Democracy.

angelatc
05-30-2007, 02:07 PM
My limited experience with the Thompson supporters is that they happily think that globalism is a myth.

X_805
05-30-2007, 02:10 PM
You can use the 2008 SelectSmart.com Presidential Candidate Selector (http://www.selectsmart.com/president/2008.html) web tool to help them find how various candidates compare to their own views. Once you have answered the questions about the various issues, the tool shows you how the candidates compare to your ideal candidate. At that point you can compare one candidate against the other.

I know where he stands on most issues, but thanks. I'm mainly wondering about strategies to bring Thompson supporters to Paul, and also wondering how to prevent people from being swayed by emotional ads when not even backed up by truth.

I am sure having an actor to add "realism" to the political theater that passes as substance would be a great move and having a person that can complete a whole sentence without butchering the English language would be a plus in the eyes of political handlers...but American's are finally waking up to reality that smooth, polished, tepid answers and oh so carefully tailored sound bite driven politicians do not equate to truth in politics.

Soundbites are not truth plenty of times, but many American people still trust those over a long but well thought out opinion on the issues.

X_805
05-30-2007, 02:11 PM
My limited experience with the Thompson supporters is that they happily think that globalism is a myth.

I wonder what we can do to convince them it isn't without appearing radical.

Korey Kaczynski
05-30-2007, 02:22 PM
This was a good thing; the dumbass neocon types, who are unsaveable and deserve death, will take their pick of which establishment clown they want to support, while everyone with a higher IQ will go for Ron Paul.

lucky
05-30-2007, 02:39 PM
This was a good thing; the dumbass neocon types, who are unsaveable and deserve death, will take their pick of which establishment clown they want to support, while everyone with a higher IQ will go for Ron Paul.

Some of dumbass neocon types are going with Ron Paul.

dude58677
05-30-2007, 02:46 PM
I would just say that we have a second coming of Thomas Jefferson, his name is Ron Paul.

Bossobass
05-30-2007, 03:02 PM
Fred Thompson passed the bar in 1967. 2 years later he became assistant US attorney.

He was the Senate Watergate Committee's chief minority counsel in 1973 and 1974. In 1975 he wrote a Watergate memoir entitled "At That Point in Time."

After Watergate, Thompson served as special counsel to former Tennessee governor Lamar Alexander and special counsel to both the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and the Senate Intelligence Committee.

Thompson chaired the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee, which held hearings in 1997 on the 1996 campaign finance controversies from 1997 to 2001.

In his first foray into electoral politics, in 1994, he won the special election for former vice president Al Gore's Senate seat.

Sound like he's always been connected? It does to me.

We can expect to 'stay the course' in Iraq and Iran if he's elected.

Bosso

DjLoTi
05-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Good call bosso. Always like your posts.

qednick
05-30-2007, 03:09 PM

That's exactly the problem - the only hope the Republican party has of winning the general election is if Ron Paul wins the GOP nomination IMO. Then, if Hillary/Obama gets in instead (highly likely if RP doesn't get nominated), we will continue war making in Iraq/Iran. :mad:

Bruehound
05-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Thompson should be attacked using issues conservatives care about.

Thompson was one of the orginal co-sponsors of McCain-Feingold'

Thompson was pro-abort in the early nineties.

angelatc
05-30-2007, 03:16 PM
YOu missed the part where he was a Washington lobbyist for 10-12 years.

He's a big flip-flopper. Last year, he was pro-amnesty, and favored a "virtual" fence rather than a physical barrier.

Suddenly, he's releasing sound and video bites condemning the immigration bill pending in Congress.

This is what makes me want to bang my head, hard, into a wall.

drinkbleach
05-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Fred Thompson passed the bar in 1967. 2 years later he became assistant US attorney.

He was the Senate Watergate Committee's chief minority counsel in 1973 and 1974. In 1975 he wrote a Watergate memoir entitled "At That Point in Time."

After Watergate, Thompson served as special counsel to former Tennessee governor Lamar Alexander and special counsel to both the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and the Senate Intelligence Committee.

Thompson chaired the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee, which held hearings in 1997 on the 1996 campaign finance controversies from 1997 to 2001.

In his first foray into electoral politics, in 1994, he won the special election for former vice president Al Gore's Senate seat.

Sound like he's always been connected? It does to me.

Bosso

Good lord, that guy is the typical behind the scenes Karl Rove type. It's fascinating what a minimal amount of research can turn up.

tnvoter
05-30-2007, 04:53 PM

Until I found out about Ron Paul, I was supporting Fred.

Also finding out that Fred has flip flopped on a few issues kinda opened me up to considering someone else, and RP blew my mind-so to speak. Lol.

tnvoter
05-30-2007, 04:54 PM
YOu missed the part where he was a Washington lobbyist for 10-12 years.

He's a big flip-flopper. Last year, he was pro-amnesty, and favored a "virtual" fence rather than a physical barrier.

Suddenly, he's releasing sound and video bites condemning the immigration bill pending in Congress.

This is what makes me want to bang my head, hard, into a wall.

We also need to remind the Neocons is this-- He will be painted a flip flopper by the left, just like Kerry was painted in the '04 election, he simply will not win.

angelatc
05-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Until I found out about Ron Paul, I was supporting Fred.

Also finding out that Fred has flip flopped on a few issues kinda opened me up to considering someone else, and RP blew my mind-so to speak. Lol.

We're soul mates. The longer I hang out here, the more I know that I made the right decision.

You probably know that Fred has a plan to use the internet to communicate directly. That was evidenced in the video retort to Michael Moore.

But he controls the spin. When the video came out, I innocently wondered about the cigar on one of his "unofficial" forums. (And I really was an innocent - now I'm snarky - but I was indeed an innocent then.) That quickly disappeared. So then I asked about it on YouTube. That forum had lots of snarky Fred comments from Michael Moore supporters. All those comments disappeared, and now the forum is closed for comment, although there are lots of "Run Fred Run!" type comments still there.

Now that I'm snarky, I posted on a right-wing forum where lots of candidates are represented. That thread also disappeared.

Apparently Fred wants to communicate with us, but he doesn't want us to communicate with each other.

literatim
05-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Ron Paul isn't a "peace candidate". Ron Paul fully supports going after Al Qaeda and is against illegal and worthless wars.

Shmuel Spade
05-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Ron Paul isn't a "peace candidate". Ron Paul fully supports going after Al Qaeda and is against illegal and worthless wars.

True, but I think when people say "the war" these days they're likely referring to the Iraq War and not Afghanistan. So anyone against "the war" is by default the peace candidate.

4Horsemen
05-30-2007, 06:35 PM
What's next when "Freddy" falls on his CFR face? John Wayne comes back from the dead to save America?