PDA

View Full Version : WWOOF Anyone tried it?

steve005
12-23-2008, 03:01 PM
World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms.

Anyone heard of it?

I ordered the list of farms in USA as a back up incase SHTF,

they give you a place to stay and food in exchange for you working 15-40 hours a week depending on farm, some make you bring a tent.

it really makes me want to get some land and list it as a farm, build a few earthships and just live off FRN's

zach
12-23-2008, 04:17 PM
That sounds like the best job I would love to do for the time being.

Wow!

But do they pay in terms of money?

LittleLightShining
12-23-2008, 04:35 PM
I met one of my best friends when she was wwoofing. She worked on a dairy farm in Norway before she came to VT. We thought about doing it but we have kids and dogs-- which is ok on some farms, we just didn't want to be stuck somewhere with our whole family.

On the other hand, the farm she worked on when I met her was run like a prison camp. She and her boyfriend camped n my land for free so they could get away from the place.

DEFINITELY look into your potential farms before you go.

Sandra
12-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Yes! There were some teens on TV about a year ago that say they are easily turned into prisons. They inflate the price of the things they give you and make you work it of at 1.00 an hour. They are slave camps, some have armed guards.

dannno
12-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Yes! There were some teens on TV about a year ago that say they are easily turned into prisons. They inflate the price of the things they give you and make you work it of at 1.00 an hour. They are slave camps, some have armed guards.

Ahhh man, you mean organic produce comes from slave labor camps, too?!?!

GOD :mad: DAMMIT!!

I imagine that's where the organic produce from big grocery stores comes from... I shop at local places and TJs.. probably less slave labor stuff there.

Sandra
12-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Ahhh man, you mean organic produce comes from slave labor camps, too?!?!

GOD :mad: DAMMIT!!

I imagine that's where the organic produce from big grocery stores comes from... I shop at local places and TJs.. probably less slave labor stuff there.

No Danno, not all of it. Some are great places to make a living. We didn't have an organic farm but the only slave labor was us kids. (until we turned 16 at least, then we got paid):p

steve005
12-23-2008, 08:35 PM
I guess you guys ignored the last part of my post, the part about getting land and build extra space for wwoofers to come and help us tend the gardens etc, its hard work but I'd only require they work 15-25 hours, thats how most farms seemed, some do sound bad like when they start talking about "9 extra hours to get fed, 11 extra for a roof,

I want to go in on some land with some fellow RP supporters and live off grid, I see WWOOF as something that could tremenduosly help expansion

LittleLightShining
12-23-2008, 08:48 PM
I guess you guys ignored the last part of my post, the part about getting land and build extra space for wwoofers to come and help us tend the gardens etc, its hard work but I'd only require they work 15-25 hours, thats how most farms seemed, some do sound bad like when they start talking about "9 extra hours to get fed, 11 extra for a roof,

I want to go in on some land with some fellow RP supporters and live off grid, I see WWOOF as something that could tremenduosly help expansionThis is kind of what we decided to do once my friend and her beau moved to our land. They camped and helped us with our gardens in exchange. I'm sure you could find some young people who would be willing to come work for you in exchange for a place to stay. Depending on the climate you could offer just a campsite. Just make sue you lay out what exactly you're looking for and what exactly you have to offer.