PDA

View Full Version : Seattle refuses to use salt; roads "snow packed" by design

angelatc
12-23-2008, 02:18 PM
So, Seattle isn't going to provide streets that are safe for the cute little green cars their liberal residents love?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008551284_snowcleanup23m.html

To hear the city's spin, Seattle's road crews are making "great progress" in clearing the ice-caked streets.

But it turns out "plowed streets" in Seattle actually means "snow-packed," as in there's snow and ice left on major arterials by design.

"We're trying to create a hard-packed surface," said Alex Wiggins, chief of staff for the Seattle Department of Transportation. "It doesn't look like anything you'd find in Chicago or New York."

The city's approach means crews clear the roads enough for all-wheel and four-wheel-drive vehicles, or those with front-wheel drive cars as long as they are using chains, Wiggins said.

The icy streets are the result of Seattle's refusal to use salt, an effective ice-buster used by the state Department of Transportation and cities accustomed to dealing with heavy winter snows.

I swear to god, liberals are their own worst enemies.

nate895
12-23-2008, 02:23 PM
You don't live in the Northwest, obviously. See, up here, they tax you to death and then spend that money to convince that they need even more money. If you think Seattle is bad, Portland and the entire State of Oregon is really bad. The airport is shutdown from a foot of snow, and they can't get it up and running. I haven't even seen a snow plow in the few snow storms I have lived up here for.

RickyJ
12-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Maybe they prefer pepper.

LibertyEagle
12-23-2008, 03:01 PM
Why wouldn't they use the salt?

Brian4Liberty
12-23-2008, 03:25 PM

It will flow into the ocean and pollute it. ;)

acptulsa
12-23-2008, 03:28 PM
It will flow into the ocean and pollute it. ;)

Lol. God forbid the ocean develop a saline content!

torchbearer
12-23-2008, 03:28 PM

They use salt on the bridges in louisiana to keep them from freezing.

Dr.3D
12-23-2008, 03:31 PM

I could imagine the water on the bridges freezing, but unless the bridge itself was made of water, I doubt it would freeze. :p

torchbearer
12-23-2008, 03:33 PM
I could imagine the water on the bridges freezing, but unless the bridge itself was made of water, I doubt it would freeze. :p

When we have cold weather, it is also wet weather. (humidity here is always high and the dew point is alway met)
Our bridges freeze over.
You will slide off a bridge without the salt preventing the freeze.
No kidding.

Agent CSL
12-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Yep, Washington is bad. I haven't gotten into work for 9 days because of it (except today). Our roads look like someone snot all over them. Except for the major highways and I-5, the roads are pretty bad. I'm sitting in Everett at the moment and the roads are slushy and pavement is visible, but there is snow and ice in between lanes. In Snohomish, the roads have about 3-5" of compact snow and ice and it's absolutely impossible to get around unless you have 4x4s.

The first days of the snow hitting there were pictures of people abandoning their vehicles on streets and it looked like something out of a Zombie movie.

Yeah, in Chicago and Denver you guys PLOW and SAND and SALT your roads, making driving less severe. Here we just sit home and watch movies and fuck making a living wage for a week... But I'm not going to kill myself for a few hundred dollars.

Dr.3D
12-23-2008, 03:47 PM
When we have cold weather, it is also wet weather. (humidity here is always high and the dew point is alway met)
Our bridges freeze over.
You will slide off a bridge without the salt preventing the freeze.
No kidding.

If you think you have it bad where you are, try living where it snows and the bridges have ice on them most of the winter. We have learned how to drive on ice and it takes practice. Every year when we get our first snow or ice storm, people who have forgotten how to drive are in the ditch or running into others on the road.

As I understand it, some of the southern states have one heck of a time when they get even an inch of snow. It's like an emergency or some kind of crisis to them.

angelatc
12-23-2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah, in Chicago and Denver you guys PLOW and SAND and SALT your roads, making driving less severe. Here we just sit home and watch movies and fuck making a living wage for a week... But I'm not going to kill myself for a few hundred dollars.

Chicago actually switched to some leftover-from-processing-sugar-beets- environmentally friendly stuff. I was obviously skeptical and cynical, but it really does seem to work better than salt.

And the guy who developed it intentionally didn't copyright or patent it - he left it in the public domain to do good rather than make millions.

torchbearer
12-23-2008, 03:53 PM
If you think you have it bad where you are, try living where it snows and the bridges have ice on them most of the winter. We have learned how to drive on ice and it takes practice. Every year when we get our first snow or ice storm, people who have forgotten how to drive are in the ditch or running into others on the road.

As I understand it, some of the southern states have one heck of a time when they get even an inch of snow. It's like an emergency or some kind of crisis to them.

Everything closes down with an inch of snow.

It doesn't happen often enough to justify the expense of full blown preventive measures... so you just wait it out.
Usually, its gone by lunch...
Of course, this year we've already had 6 inches that last for a few days... I'm so glad we are having a global warming. :rolleyes:

Agent CSL
12-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Chicago actually switched to some leftover-from-processing-sugar-beets- environmentally friendly stuff. I was obviously skeptical and cynical, but it really does seem to work better than salt.

And the guy who developed it intentionally didn't copyright or patent it - he left it in the public domain to do good rather than make millions.

Snohomish county is using some "dairy by-product" but it isn't working. Oh wait, LOL, listen to this!

"Dr. Mingruo Guo has been working with dairy products since 1982, when he started pursuing his PhD in dairy science chemistry. Since 2002, Guo has been working on a project to synthesize an environmentally safe de-icer for roads from whey, a dairy byproduct.

Each year, approximately 90 billion pounds of whey byproduct is produced in the dairy industry. Of these 90 billion pounds, about 40% is not used, and must be dumped into bodies of water.

When the whey interacts with the water, the organic compounds in whey are oxygenated, taking oxygen out of the water supply and decreasing the capacity of the water to support marine organisms. Furthermore, whey contains the elements nitrogen and phosphorus, which can also pollute water.

Dr. Guo's attempts to utilize this excess whey not only help to decrease the amount dumped into bodies of water, but they aim to create a de-icer for roads and sidewalks which is not harmful."

WHAT A GENIUS!! Dear God... The stupidity!

torchbearer
12-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Snohomish county is using some "dairy by-product" but it isn't working. Oh wait, LOL, listen to this!

"Dr. Mingruo Guo has been working with dairy products since 1982, when he started pursuing his PhD in dairy science chemistry. Since 2002, Guo has been working on a project to synthesize an environmentally safe de-icer for roads from whey, a dairy byproduct.

Each year, approximately 90 billion pounds of whey byproduct is produced in the dairy industry. Of these 90 billion pounds, about 40% is not used, and must be dumped into bodies of water.

When the whey interacts with the water, the organic compounds in whey are oxygenated, taking oxygen out of the water supply and decreasing the capacity of the water to support marine organisms. Furthermore, whey contains the elements nitrogen and phosphorus, which can also pollute water.

Dr. Guo's attempts to utilize this excess whey not only help to decrease the amount dumped into bodies of water, but they aim to create a de-icer for roads and sidewalks which is not harmful."

Why not use the whey to feed the poor who have no food?

Dr.3D
12-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Everything closes down with an inch of snow.

It doesn't happen often enough to justify the expense of full blown preventive measures... so you just wait it out.
Usually, its gone by lunch...
Of course, this year we've already had 6 inches that last for a few days... I'm so glad we are having a global warming. :rolleyes:

LOL, around here, we just drive on up to 4 or 5 inches of snow. It doesn't shut us down at all. It isn't like the plows and salt trucks get out and clean all of that up right away. We just continue cautiously on with our lives and by a day or so, the plows have gotten out and cleaned up most of it. Right now, my road has 8 inches of snow on it and the plow still has not been down it. It's had that much snow and drifts of up to 2 feet on it for the past week. (we just get up enough speed to blast though the drifts) I still get out and buy groceries and such.

cybloo
12-23-2008, 04:04 PM
In Southeastern Iowa, it seems hit or miss with the snow clearing. Last year, the city I live in decided they didn't have to clear the roads or put down salt until after one major ice storm and two snow storms. If my memory serves me correctly, the ice and then the snow layers were about four to five inches deep and covered a lot of roads completely. Where I lived, it stretched from the curb to about three and a half to four feet into the street.

This year it isn't so bad and the snow plowing seems more timely, but I'm worried about all the new construction the city did on a main street. They started late and didn't finish pouring the concrete until after it got really cold. They did the same thing last year and had to completely redo that stretch of the road because of cement cracking and amount of potholes.

Agent CSL
12-23-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm not against trying new things, but you can't have these people understand the sheer stupidity of their actions, even if you hit them in the face with it.

libertarian4321
12-23-2008, 04:05 PM

I don't know how effective his product will be, but why is it "stupid" to try?

emazur
12-23-2008, 04:15 PM
You don't live in the Northwest, obviously. See, up here, they tax you to death and then spend that money to convince that they need even more money. If you think Seattle is bad, Portland and the entire State of Oregon is really bad. The airport is shutdown from a foot of snow, and they can't get it up and running. I haven't even seen a snow plow in the few snow storms I have lived up here for.

I just moved to Portland from the bible belt, don't know how it usually goes but there are snowplows and trucks spreading gravel on the roads. Residential roads are terrible though. I hope your statement "tax you to death" is an exaggeration - I guess I'll see. No sales tax though - gotta like that.

LibertyEagle
12-23-2008, 04:18 PM

Oh heck, I'm originally from northern Oklahoma. We used salt AND sand every winter. Sand is good for the snow, but does squat for ice. Need salt for that.

Now I live in Austin and the few times that it DOES actually ice up, they use sand. lol. It used to tick me off; now it makes me laugh. But, you do want to stay off the roads. Texans don't know how to drive on that stuff already, but now that we have so many California imports, OMG.

nate895
12-23-2008, 04:21 PM
I just moved to Portland from the bible belt, don't know how it usually goes but there are snowplows and trucks spreading gravel on the roads. Residential roads are terrible though. I hope your statement "tax you to death" is an exaggeration - I guess I'll see. No sales tax though - gotta like that.

Wait until you get your income tax statement. BTW, you can get a deduction if a dear put two hooves on your property, no joke.

Edit: As far as the snow plows go, I am not sure how it is in Portland, but up here in Vancouver the only place they were putting gravel down on (as well as plowing) was the park-and-ride. Also, the stores seem to be able to clear out their parking lots. They are also on the freeways.

axiomata
12-23-2008, 04:23 PM
The salmon.

LibertyEagle
12-23-2008, 04:24 PM
The salmon.

Does it honestly hurt them?

Agent CSL
12-23-2008, 04:25 PM
I don't know how effective his product will be, but why is it "stupid" to try?

Did you read the last two paragraphs? It said whey is dangerous in water (just like anything organic that breaks down and creates nitrogen, thus why it's called the nitrogen cycle), and depletes oxygen, yet they are spreading it on roads in Washington that when eventually thaw out, the water off the roads and run-off will go into streams directly into salmon habitat.

So instead of using this whey to create food products for humans or animals, they are instead dumping it as an ineffective deicer that will go directly into streams and deplete the already oxygen-starved streams where Northwest salmon spawn.

He says that it's harmful to dump into the water supply, but in the next paragraph he says it's not harmful to dump on roads and sidewalks in the snow and ice. Snow and ice eventually becomes water, which dissolves the whey and carries it with it down into streams and eventually into the estuaries where it wasn't before. So how can it work two ways?

That is where the stupid comment comes from.

Does it honestly hurt them?
Salmon are creatures of both salt and freshwater. Plain salt does not hurt them. However I am not sure about salt with additives.
Salt, however, does a great deal to kill the plants on the side of the road which is actually a double-edged sword because instead of harmful herbicides to keep plants down on the roadside and money to pay workers to scrape the sides, the salt just prevents anything from growing for awhile.
Again, salt is a double-edged sword.

Mesogen
12-23-2008, 04:51 PM

Aren't bridges always frozen? I'd hate to drive over a liquid bridge. :)

dannno
12-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Wow, CSL, you guys have another huge storm hitting you on Christmas..maybe later in the day.. probably bigger than the last one.

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=pac_height

dannno
12-23-2008, 05:19 PM

Because our country does not protect property rights and we let them dump it in bodies of water, which is cheaper than giving it to poor people. If we protect property rights, then they would have to find something better to do with their waste than dumping it.

It's probably better to dump the whey on the roads than to dump it straight into bodies of water. It ends up in water, but at least it will spread out a bit more. I imagine they dump thousands of gallons into a body of water, but they could spread that same amount over thousands of miles of highway and it wouldn't be as concentrated. If it is more environmentally friendly than salt, they should probably give it a go. Poor people is a good idea, though, too.

Chosen
12-23-2008, 05:21 PM
I live here and its quite annoying right now. The problem is that there is a snow pack on many streets which is okay if you have chains or a 4x4. But, all the major roads have been cleared, so you will ruin your chains on them. It is an idiotic situation. On the cleared roads you can see broken tire chains scattered around.

The real reason they aren't using salt is that sand costs 1/5 the price. Sand is actually worse because it chokes up things, but this anti-salt thing is really just some sort of eco PR.

This Mayor, Chub Rock MikNikels, is very corrupt. He is about as anti-Second Amendment as Obama and every bit the woman Pelosi is. He created a false Monorail project which never had the potential to be completed to round up hard to get properties (intended for monorail boarding stations). When the monorail "failed" suddenly the properties went to condo developers, almost overnight. He essentially ruined some historic Seattle properties by promising restoration and preservation, plus integration with the monorail stations.

They give him an open pass in the press because he is a Democrat with hard collectivist leanings.

nate895
12-23-2008, 05:40 PM
I live here and its quite annoying right now. The problem is that there is a snow pack on many streets which is okay if you have chains or a 4x4. But, all the major roads have been cleared, so you will ruin your chains on them. It is an idiotic situation. On the cleared roads you can see broken tire chains scattered around.

The real reason they aren't using salt is that sand costs 1/5 the price. Sand is actually worse because it chokes up things, but this anti-salt thing is really just some sort of eco PR.

This Mayor, Chub Rock MikNikels, is very corrupt. He is about as anti-Second Amendment as Obama and every bit the woman Pelosi is. He created a false Monorail project which never had the potential to be completed to round up hard to get properties (intended for monorail boarding stations). When the monorail "failed" suddenly the properties went to condo developers, almost overnight. He essentially ruined some historic Seattle properties by promising restoration and preservation, plus integration with the monorail stations.

They give him an open pass in the press because he is a Democrat with hard collectivist leanings.

I am not sure if he is corrupt, but Mayor Potter of Portland is on a holy crusade to rename the streets after civil rights leaders. He renamed Portland Blvd. "Rosa Parks Way" (WTF does Rosa Parks have to do with Portland?) despite the ordinance that you can't name streets proper names. People still call it Portland anyway, and a few protesters have people address letters to them with a Portland Blvd. address. He was going to name Interstate Blvd. "Caesar Chavez," but that failed when the Polish community (who actually live there, unlike the Mexicans who they want to name it for) wanted to change the name to Lech Walesa (mainly demonstrating the ridiculousness of his crusade). He also wanted to rename Third Street downtown. Because of his crusade for that and stronger Mayoral authorities, he didn't even run for reelection. He is also a bit off the deep end. He thinks the Feds are out to get him because he rode in "critical mass" and was opposed to the Iraq War. I don't think the Feds are out to get anyone who wants to increase executive powers.

Agent CSL
12-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Here is a picture of the road I live on

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/4550/s8000199jt9.jpg

dannno
12-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Well make sure you get stocked up before the next one. It's going to be a doozey.

Agent CSL
12-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Well make sure you get stocked up before the next one. It's going to be a doozey.
I don't think it'll be as bad as last Saturday and Thursday. Just will add more on top of what's already there. Then Washington will have a major melt-off.

IM MAKING AN IGLOO

dannno
12-23-2008, 06:04 PM
I don't think it'll be as bad as last Saturday and Thursday. Just will add more on top of what's already there. Then Washington will have a major melt-off.

IM MAKING AN IGLOO

Did you watch my forecasts?

Based on the forecasts, this one looks much worse than the last one.. I was tracking it, too (not to hit seattle but for wave riding purposes)

Dr.3D
12-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Aren't bridges always frozen? I'd hate to drive over a liquid bridge. :)

Yeah, I guess you are correct at that. It would have to be pretty hot to melt a steel or concrete bridge.

dannno
12-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Yeah, I guess you are correct at that. It would have to be pretty hot to melt a steel or concrete bridge.

I could do it with a kerosene camping stove.

Agent CSL
12-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Did you watch my forecasts?

Based on the forecasts, this one looks much worse than the last one.. I was tracking it, too (not to hit seattle but for wave riding purposes)

:I Am I going to die?

dannno
12-23-2008, 06:12 PM
:I Am I going to die?

Nah, but if I lived up there I'd make sure I had enough food and firewood to last a few days.

nate895
12-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Nah, but if I lived up there I'd make sure I had enough food and firewood to last a few days.

What that didn't show you was that it will warm above freezing Christmas Night, and the storms after that will be rain, helping the melt.

dannno
12-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Oh ya, and be sure to rent the movie "Hurricane" (1979) :D

danberkeley
12-23-2008, 06:15 PM
All hail the government! For it is protector of all beings and resolver of all problems. For it is the the salt to your happiness and the snow on your shoulders.

dannno
12-23-2008, 06:17 PM
What that didn't show you was that it will warm above freezing Christmas Night, and the storms after that will be rain, helping the melt.

Could be, but the storm is diving from the north just like the last one. I'm predicting cold temperatures... on the other hand I just checked out weather.com and they are predicting semi-cold temps over the next few days, but not THAT cold, then they show the weather warming back up by Friday, so maybe it won't be too bad.

nate895
12-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Could be, but the storm is diving from the north just like the last one. I'm predicting cold temperatures... on the other hand I just checked out weather.com and they are predicting semi-cold temps over the next few days, but not THAT cold, then they show the weather warming back up by Friday, so maybe it won't be too bad.

Don't go with weather.com, they have been off all week (at first they predicted a trace of snow). I am going with local media, which for once has been on target. Last snow storm was the other way around. The media, however, has been constantly lowering their temperature predictions, they said it would rain today and tomorrow on Saturday, but by Monday it was snow. We are on track for another week of storms if the same thing happens again, since they have been lowering the predictions since Sunday for Christmas and beyond.

angelatc
12-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Again, salt is a double-edged sword.

Like I said, Chicago was switching to some beet juice based formula, and they said their main concern was the damage that salt did to the roads.

But in a city where it snows once every 20 years, i suspect that wouldn't be as much of a concern.

angelatc
12-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Don't go with weather.com, they have been off all week (at first they predicted a trace of snow).

I used to work for a company that depended on weather reports, and they used accuweather.com .

nate895
12-23-2008, 06:56 PM
I used to work for a company that depended on weather reports, and they used accuweather.com .

Accuweather looks to be above weather.com's predictions. They have it above freezing Christmas morning and beyond. Nobody else has that. I guess we'll see.

nate895
12-23-2008, 06:59 PM
But in a city where it snows once every 20 years, i suspect that wouldn't be as much of a concern.

I am not sure about Seattle, but down here we get at least one snow event every year, mostly in January, but December isn't unheard of, we even got snow in March once (about .5" it melted off by noon). I could understand us not being as prepared as the Midwest, but it is ridiculous that major arteries (I-84 though the gorge, which has snow all the time, and US-26) have been shut down for days, and only now are starting to reopen.

fedup100
12-23-2008, 09:02 PM
All of this green speak here in Seattle is code for "we are slack ass broke". The people can tear their cars up on 8 inch deep pot holes because governor gorgoyle doesn't give a rats. Oh by the way, she thinks we need an income tax, the billions she rakes in now for non services such as plowing the roads just aren't enough.

The_Orlonater
12-23-2008, 09:50 PM
I am not sure if he is corrupt, but Mayor Potter of Portland is on a holy crusade to rename the streets after civil rights leaders. He renamed Portland Blvd. "Rosa Parks Way" (WTF does Rosa Parks have to do with Portland?) despite the ordinance that you can't name streets proper names. People still call it Portland anyway, and a few protesters have people address letters to them with a Portland Blvd. address. He was going to name Interstate Blvd. "Caesar Chavez," but that failed when the Polish community (who actually live there, unlike the Mexicans who they want to name it for) wanted to change the name to Lech Walesa (mainly demonstrating the ridiculousness of his crusade). He also wanted to rename Third Street downtown. Because of his crusade for that and stronger Mayoral authorities, he didn't even run for reelection. He is also a bit off the deep end. He thinks the Feds are out to get him because he rode in "critical mass" and was opposed to the Iraq War. I don't think the Feds are out to get anyone who wants to increase executive powers.

That's actually pretty funny. :D

sdczen
12-23-2008, 11:45 PM
So, Seattle isn't going to provide streets that are safe for the cute little green cars their liberal residents love?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008551284_snowcleanup23m.html

I swear to god, liberals are their own worst enemies.

So let me get this straight. The environmentalists have eliminated the usage of salting frozen roads, forcing people to purchase gas guzzling SUV's in order to drive on the ice/snow packed roads, all caused by global warming of course.:rolleyes:

libertarian4321
12-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Did you read the last two paragraphs? It said whey is dangerous in water (just like anything organic that breaks down and creates nitrogen, thus why it's called the nitrogen cycle), and depletes oxygen, yet they are spreading it on roads in Washington that when eventually thaw out, the water off the roads and run-off will go into streams directly into salmon habitat.

It said "Since 2002, Guo has been working on a project to synthesize an environmentally safe de-icer for roads from whey, a dairy byproduct."

He isn't using whey, he is using a synthetic product derived from whey, which would presumably have significantly different chemical characteristics.

Presumably, when he says "environmentally safe", it means the synthetic derived from whey is not going to be dangerous?

satchelmcqueen
12-24-2008, 12:48 AM

yes it is. but you have to know that we have tons of very steep roads here as well. you might also iDK.

bojo68
12-24-2008, 12:52 AM
So let me get this straight. The environmentalists have eliminated the usage of salting frozen roads, forcing people to purchase gas guzzling SUV's in order to drive on the ice/snow packed roads, all caused by global warming of course.:rolleyes:

At least part of that is wrong. Here in Oregon they didn't STOP salting simply because they never started salting the roads. The way I see it, that's just as it should be, keep all that damn salt the heck of my car, I don't want some rusted out hulk like you see in the east. We have cars around here left over from the 50's without much rust.
Bye the way, I saw 4 snowplows and a sweeper clean whe whole runway at the airport in one swipe a day or two ago.

asimplegirl
12-24-2008, 02:24 AM
Bad thing about here in Louisiana, is that it gets too cold with the combination of humidity to snow, then it will be hot the next day. I know one day it sleeted for a few hours, all roads were frozen solid- looked like glitter, and was extremely slick, and the next day it got to above seventy. Wonderful isn't it?

Worst part? I have never seen snow in my entire life..never. :(

angelatc
12-24-2008, 02:55 AM
Bad thing about here in Louisiana, is that it gets too cold with the combination of humidity to snow, then it will be hot the next day. I know one day it sleeted for a few hours, all roads were frozen solid- looked like glitter, and was extremely slick, and the next day it got to above seventy. Wonderful isn't it?

Worst part? I have never seen snow in my entire life..never. :(

Get on a greyhound, right now and come north. It's really pretty here right now, We can stay inside and not spend money!

angelatc
12-24-2008, 02:58 AM
At least part of that is wrong. Here in Oregon they didn't STOP salting simply because they never started salting the roads. The way I see it, that's just as it should be, keep all that damn salt the heck of my car, I don't want some rusted out hulk like you see in the east. We have cars around here left over from the 50's without much rust.

Cars here in the midwest don't seem to rust like they used to. I don't know why.

But you can wash salt off. It's much cheaper than getting the frame straightened after you slide slowly off the freeway into a pole.

asimplegirl
12-24-2008, 03:09 AM
Get on a greyhound, right now and come north. It's really pretty here right now, We can stay inside and not spend money!

I'm on my way, hon...as long as we can eat some good ole southern food? lol..My ancestors would roll over in there graves if I didn't have catheads and grits for breakfast. :)

angelatc
12-24-2008, 03:36 AM
I'm on my way, hon...as long as we can eat some good ole southern food? lol..My ancestors would roll over in there graves if I didn't have catheads and grits for breakfast. :)

Sho nuff! And the hubby likes to cook, so we can just sit here and stare at the snow!

asimplegirl
12-24-2008, 03:54 AM
Hells yes...:)

Are there no kids? I am trying to pass a petition for life sentences in prison for annoying 6 yr old boys at this moment, lol.

Really, does it snow much there? How does it look?? Is it all white a glittery like in the movies?

Crash Martinez
12-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Hmm... he must really NOT be on to something then!!

Kalifornia
12-25-2008, 01:25 AM
I moved up here from California this summer. I grew up in Missouri, where they actually plow the streets and salt and cinder them. You NEVER needed front wheel drive or 4wd for more than half a day in the midwest.

Here, I was trapped at home for 3 days. 9 out of 10 drivers agree. Hippies suck.