PDA

View Full Version : Article 1, Section 9, Clause 8

Mesogen
12-22-2008, 02:05 PM
I suppose that this clause still stands. I was wondering how often this clause is violated.
I'm thinking it might be pretty regularly violated.

No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign State.

Obviously the title of nobility isn't granted by the United States (well, depending how you see the Drug Czar, Terror Czar, etc.) But the next section about no person holding any office of profit or trust under the united states can personally accept ANYTHING from a foreign state. This means no gifts, no presents.

I don't know, but I'm guessing this might be routinely violated, but I don't know where I might find that kind of info.

Anyone got any idea?

heavenlyboy34
12-22-2008, 04:58 PM
I suppose that this clause still stands. I was wondering how often this clause is violated.
I'm thinking it might be pretty regularly violated.

No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign State.

Obviously the title of nobility isn't granted by the United States (well, depending how you see the Drug Czar, Terror Czar, etc.) But the next section about no person holding any office of profit or trust under the united states can personally accept ANYTHING from a foreign state. This means no gifts, no presents.

I don't know, but I'm guessing this might be routinely violated, but I don't know where I might find that kind of info.

Anyone got any idea?

Is it a gift when a foreign head of state provides dinner or entertainment for a U.S. head of state? You could consider that.

torchbearer
12-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Is it a gift when a foreign head of state provides dinner or entertainment for a U.S. head of state? You could consider that.

The U.S. should pay for their ambassador's meals.

Scofield
12-22-2008, 05:48 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081222/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/rice_gifts

Is this a violation of said clause?

Pauls' Revere
12-23-2008, 12:17 AM
I'm sure this is trampled on routinely...

Ex Post Facto
12-23-2008, 12:29 AM
I wouldn't consider a hosted event a gift. Now if someone went on vacation on some foreign states tab that might raise some eye brows.

sratiug
12-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Congress can make laws allowing some gifts. But any license granted by the federal government is clearly a grant of a title of nobility and violates this clause.

nate895
12-23-2008, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't consider a hosted event a gift. Now if someone went on vacation on some foreign states tab that might raise some eye brows.

I agree. There is a big difference between being invited to dinner and a dance and a real gift. If events like that were not permitted, diplomacy would be virtually impossible. Taking it to the extreme, you'd have to forbid them for accepting coffee when they visit the head of state/government, and that is just ridiculous.