PDA

View Full Version : GOP: My State GOP Chair is active on Facebook (UGH)

Matt Collins
12-20-2008, 09:56 PM
My State GOP has a Facebook Group. As I was posting around in there trying to spread "Ron Paul Republican" ideas I discovered my State chairman is active on Facebook. This could potentially be problematic to me because I am a member of MANY Ron Paul / libertarian / freedom groups etc. I also have posted items, photos of the RP campaign, etc. I also use FB to keep in contact with my fellow RP'ers across the US.

Any ideas on how I go about dealing with this!

My profile is here:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=38407710

TruthisTreason
12-20-2008, 10:04 PM
My State GOP has a Facebook Group. As I was posting around in there trying to spread "Ron Paul Republican" ideas I discovered my State chairman is active on Facebook. This could potentially be problematic to me because I am a member of MANY Ron Paul / libertarian / freedom groups etc. I also have posted items, photos of the RP campaign, etc. I also use FB to keep in contact with my fellow RP'ers across the US.

Any ideas on how I go about dealing with this!

My profile is here:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=38407710

This is the way I see it:

a. democrats - believe in democracy, ruled by the people
or

b. republicans - SHOULD believe in a republic, ruled by law

It's a or b, because c or d isn't viable in our neck of the woods. ;)

Matt Collins
12-20-2008, 11:47 PM
make him have a limited profile view.How do I do that?

mport1
12-20-2008, 11:50 PM
How do I do that?

Go to "Settings" at the top then "Privacy Settings" and then "Profile." From there you can make sure that you exempt him from seeing select parts of your profile.

mediahasyou
12-20-2008, 11:52 PM
Get a second account.

Matt Collins
12-21-2008, 12:53 AM
Go to "Settings" at the top then "Privacy Settings" and then "Profile." From there you can make sure that you exempt him from seeing select parts of your profile.But this person isn't my "friend" yet, I would like to add them, but don't want to until I am sure they can't see all of my Ron Paul links, photos, groups, etc.

AJ Antimony
12-21-2008, 02:40 AM
who gives a shit what he thinks? ask him where the McCain people are on facebook and he'll concede defeat

tremendoustie
12-21-2008, 02:48 AM
But this person isn't my "friend" yet, I would like to add them, but don't want to until I am sure they can't see all of my Ron Paul links, photos, groups, etc.

If you make him your friend he'll be able to see all your stuff. That's the way it is :-/.

I don't think there's any way to make one friend see some things that other friends can't.

So, I guess you could make another account, or just not friend him, or let him see your stuff and deal with the fallout.

smileylovesfreedom
12-21-2008, 03:29 AM
Why do you need to hide anything? Is he/she even going to care about who supported Ron Paul or not now the election is over and McCain was swept into the dustbin of history?

LibertyEagle
12-21-2008, 05:36 AM
Matt, I would think your bigger problem is that if he searches on your name, he will see all the stuff you have posted HERE on RPFs. Which I'm guessing is probably much more damning than anything you have on Facebook.

evilfunnystuff
12-21-2008, 05:59 AM
i dont think you have anything to be ashamed of it is he who should be ashamed

if we act shamefull and hide our views how can we expect to be taken seriously

be proud of what you are

TruthisTreason
12-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Matt, I would think your bigger problem is that if he searches on your name, he will see all the stuff you have posted HERE on RPFs. Which I'm guessing is probably much more damning than anything you have on Facebook.

:D

Muhahahahaha....!

Matt Collins
12-21-2008, 12:30 PM
The problem is that I'm about to be in a leadership position within the local GOP. And I'll eventually start mingling with my State GOP people here pretty soon. I don't want them to have any preconceived notions about me before they ever meet me in person because it would derail and marginalize anything I ever do within the GOP.

ingrid
12-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Yep (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&fkt=1495&fsdt=12651&q=%22matt+collins%22+republican&aq=f&oq=&aqi=)

But this person isn't my "friend" yet, I would like to add them, but don't want to until I am sure they can't see all of my Ron Paul links, photos, groups, etc.
If they did want to find out about you, it's pretty obvious from a quick google search that you're a Ron Paul supporter...

LibertyEagle
12-21-2008, 10:17 PM
The problem is that I'm about to be in a leadership position within the local GOP. And I'll eventually start mingling with my State GOP people here pretty soon. I don't want them to have any preconceived notions about me before they ever meet me in person because it would derail and marginalize anything I ever do within the GOP.

Yeah, people need to think about those kind of things, before they use their real name on forums.

Matt Collins
12-22-2008, 12:53 AM
If they did want to find out about you, it's pretty obvious from a quick google search that you're a Ron Paul supporter...Oddly enough, I had never done that before. Geeze... didn't realize I had such a footprint on here. And when I searched "Matt Collins Nashville" it REALLY shows everything... hmmm..

Matt Collins
12-22-2008, 12:54 AM
Yeah, people need to think about those kind of things, before they use their real name on forums.Well, I have nothing to hide, I just don't want to go into the GOP waving a big red flashing banner with neon lights that says "I'm a Ron Paul supporter and I'm here to take over" :p

Matt Collins
12-22-2008, 12:55 AM
If they did want to find out about you, it's pretty obvious from a quick google search that you're a Ron Paul supporter...One other point about this... absolutely. I am not trying to prevent people from digging about me, I can't really stop that.

But I do want to prevent a specific someone on Facebook from casually noticing that I am a large RP person.

AJ Antimony
12-22-2008, 12:59 AM
Well, I have nothing to hide, I just don't want to go into the GOP waving a big red flashing banner with neon lights that says "I'm a Ron Paul supporter and I'm here to take over" :p

You have two options.

1. Be proud of everything you've said online and if anyone doesn't like it, tell them to go fuck themselves. If this somehow prevents you from having any influence/movement in the GOP then oh well, you're at least proud of your past.

2. Be afraid of your past and take measures to hide it so you can advance politically.

Let me translate these options into other words.

1. Be a Ron Paul revolutionary

2. Be a typical politician

Guess which option everyone on these boards wants you to be?

Nyte
12-22-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm probably going to make a run for my county's chair this spring, so I can sympathize.

Don't worry about it Matt. You are who you are and you believe what you believe.

Show them through your actions that you are your own man. If they are too shallow to understand that (which they probably will be) then that's their problem.

You only have to answer to your constituents.

Matt Collins
12-22-2008, 09:39 PM
You have two options.

1. Be proud of everything you've said online and if anyone doesn't like it, tell them to go fuck themselves. If this somehow prevents you from having any influence/movement in the GOP then oh well, you're at least proud of your past.

2. Be afraid of your past and take measures to hide it so you can advance politically.

Let me translate these options into other words.

1. Be a Ron Paul revolutionary

2. Be a typical politician

Guess which option everyone on these boards wants you to be?

Don't be ignorant. We are talking real political strategy for taking over the GOP. One doesn't do that by waving a neon flag and yelling a the top of their lungs as soon as they walk in the door. :rolleyes:

And I am not going to compromise my beliefs / values in anyway what so ever, but I don't need to give anyone the opportunity to instantly write me off, or discredit myself right off the bat.

nbhadja
12-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Block him so he cannot see your profile or even know you exist on facebook. Screw limited profile, just block him.

Matt Collins
12-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Block him so he cannot see your profile or even know you exist on facebook. Screw limited profile, just block him.But I would like the interaction however. That's one of the advantages of FaceBook is that you can meet & greet people you normally wouldn't.

Brian4Liberty
12-23-2008, 01:43 AM
Welcome to the future kids. There was a thread about technology recently. I said that this is something that has never existed before in the history of mankind (i.e. all of your history, communications, etc. being stored forever, sometimes viewable by the general public, always viewable by those with the power).

You are truly breaking new ground. We'll see how it turns out...

american.swan
05-21-2009, 06:29 AM
Doesn't your local members already know you agree with Ron Paul's ideology? Isn't that how you got elected?

Before I run for office, I personally would not clean out my accounts. What I would do is make it clear that I'm my own man. What your setting up is that your not yourself so much as a Ron Paul clone. That sadly is how people will look at you. My goal is to say that I'm for freedom not for Paul. I'm for limited government and sound money, not for Ron Paul. I'm controlled by my desire to further free market economics, not do whatever Paul tells me.

In my humble opinion that is the real challenge here. For us to be ourselves.

Matt Collins
05-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Doesn't your local members already know you agree with Ron Paul's ideology?Yes they do.

Before I run for office, I personally would not clean out my accounts. What I would do is make it clear that I'm my own man. What your setting up is that your not yourself so much as a Ron Paul clone.I don't discuss Ron really. I talk about his ideas, not about him. I don't agree with him on everything, but most things. This isn't about Ron or the election, but it is a continuing campaign for the Constitution and limited government.

My goal is to say that I'm for freedom not for Paul. I'm for limited government and sound money, not for Ron Paul. I'm controlled by my desire to further free market economics, not do whatever Paul tells me.Very good point and very true.

Did you notice the date on the original post? ;)