PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Mall Won't Accept CASH for Gift Cards??

Dave
12-19-2008, 10:28 AM
The owners of a big snazzy shopping center here won't let you use cash to buy a gift card - you have to use a credit card. I'm baffled. Why would they refuse cash in favor of plastic? Is this going to be a trend? If you go to the site you'll love the comment where someone talks about our gold-backed currency.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20081219/BUSINESS/812190356/1029

Jordan Creek Town Center owner won't accept cash to buy gift cards
By KAREN MRACEK • December 19, 2008

As more consumers rely on cash this year for holiday spending, one area mall is dealing strictly in credit and debit cards.

General Growth Properties Inc., owner of Jordan Creek Town Center in West Des Moines, is no longer accepting cash for purchase of the mall's gift cards.

The company implemented the no-cash policy Dec. 1, mall general manager Randy Tennison said. "General Growth made the decision based on what was in the best interest of the business," he said. He didn't elaborate on reasons for the change.

Chicago-based General Growth, which has been plagued in recent weeks by financial problems, sells American Express-backed gift cards that may be used at retail stores and restaurants throughout its 200 shopping centers nationwide. Jordan Creek Town Center charges a $2 fee for mall gift cards.

"When time is a valuable commodity, especially during the holidays, shoppers want the opportunity to swipe and go," Lesley Cheers, director of corporate communications for General Growth, said in an e-mail. "The majority of our gift customers have told us they like the ease of purchasing gift cards on credit cards."
The move to not accept cash surprised Tom Coates, executive director of Consumer Credit of Des Moines.

"There are a vast majority of people who are trying to pay down their credit cards and who are using cash this season," he said. "And now the mall is saying they aren't going to do business with them. I don't understand the logic."

The National Retail Federation released a survey Tuesday that shows nearly two-thirds of shoppers this season have primarily used cash, debit cards or checks to pay for holiday purchases, up from 64.5 percent last year.
"I can understand a policy of not accepting personal checks, because you could end up with bad paper and have to spend money collecting it, but to not accept cash, I would say is just asinine," Coates said.

But General Growth stands behind its policy.

"Those who use cash are a very small number," Cheers said.

Although gift cards are the most requested gift for the holidays, 24.3 percent of shoppers have purchased gift cards this holiday season, compared with 30.2 percent who had done so by this time last year, the National Retail Federation survey shows.
With fewer buyers, competition to get the gift-card dollars would be higher. "In this declining economic climate, I can't imagine why any mall would want to make changes that would discourage spending," Coates said.

Separately on Wednesday, General Growth said it received another extension on $900 million in loans for two Las Vegas properties.

Lenders agreed to place the loans in forbearance until Feb. 12 as the company looks to sell some of its assets or raise fresh capital to help pay upcoming debt maturities.

Dustancostine
12-19-2008, 10:31 AM
It probably has to do with employees handling the cash. They don't want it walking out the door.

And they don't want to have to worry about a change drawer.

Mort
12-19-2008, 10:36 AM
It probably has to do with employees handling the cash. They don't want it walking out the door.

And they don't want to have to worry about a change drawer.

I would agree. I don't think this has anything to do with the fear of inflation.

RonPaulCentral
12-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Come on guys you are smarter than this aren't you?

It is because CASH into a gift card is no longer cash and an easy way to move money.

Cash = No Trace

Brian4Liberty
12-19-2008, 12:48 PM
A couple of years ago a Best Buy wouldn't take cash from me. They said no one there at the time had the authority to use the cash drawer. Seems like they didn't trust many employees with cash.

Sandra
12-19-2008, 12:52 PM
GGP is going down. I think this is so they can cover their butts and have a way to refund unused or the balance of gift cards when they close the doors. I worked in a store that did this to keep from having the bejeezuz sued out of us.

John of Des Moines
12-19-2008, 05:04 PM
GGP is going down. I think this is so they can cover their butts and have a way to refund unused or the balance of gift cards when they close the doors. I worked in a store that did this to keep from having the bejeezuz sued out of us.

That's exactly what I thought when I read the article. The credit card company can issue a refund if GPP goes belly up. But I think people here in Iowa should go to Jorden Creek Mall with cash (a lot) and ask to buy a couple of gift cards flashing the cash. But a couple of weeks ago two teenage girls where robbed out there. So I'll go there and flash the cash if Dave offers to be my bodyguard. :D

RockEnds
12-19-2008, 05:14 PM
So when are you city slickers gonna talk Polk County officials into succeeding from Iowa? :D j/k Y'all sure do have funny ways of doing business up there, though. At least I know not to waste my time driving to Des Moines to do my Christmas shopping this year. Crazy.

mrwiizrd
12-19-2008, 05:33 PM
try walking up to a ticket counter at an airport to buy a ticket with cash, you won't get far.

ihsv
12-19-2008, 05:44 PM
So much for "Legal Tender" laws

bojo68
12-19-2008, 08:54 PM
I had a cell phone with Cricket, and was one of the first in town to get one. They advertised their service for a flat fee, xx.xx/mo. When it came time to pay the first bill, I was informed that it would cost 5$ extra for CASH. I closed the account, will never go back.

jonahtrainer
12-19-2008, 10:03 PM
So much for "Legal Tender" laws

Someone does not understand how 'Legal Tender' laws function.

NolanLawson
12-19-2008, 10:51 PM
I guess it makes sense that credit would be more valuable than cash, since due to the Fed's pump-priming M1 (cash) has gone through the roof, while M3 (credit) has been contracting due to banks gearing up for losses. The supply of cash goes up, so its value goes down. Conversely, the supply of credit goes down, so its value increases. That still really sounds crazy to me, though.

Btw, those guys at the Mises Institute who are much smarter than me talk about the money supply here :) : http://mises.org/story/3236

Matt Collins
12-19-2008, 11:12 PM
try walking up to a ticket counter at an airport to buy a ticket with cash, you won't get far.Have you tried it?

satchelmcqueen
12-20-2008, 01:52 AM
I had a cell phone with Cricket, and was one of the first in town to get one. They advertised their service for a flat fee, xx.xx/mo. When it came time to pay the first bill, I was informed that it would cost 5$ extra for CASH. I closed the account, will never go back.

our verizon here charges $3 for paying in cash. when the contract is up, we are done forever with cell phone companies. they cheat all the time.

Malakai
12-20-2008, 09:31 AM
The post offices recently removed their old dollars and change operated stamp machines for new ones that only accept cards.

Now, since I don't use cards or bank accounts for the time being, I have to stand in line for a half hour to get a 40 cent stamp.

FUCKING RETARDED OMG

Oh I killed my cell long ago, combination of them giving away private info with no warrants and immunity from prosecution, huge prices and overage fees, constant billing mistakes, ect.

Verizon had the best service and billing departments, and I still had varying levels of problems with them. If they would have charged extra for paying bill in cash i would have laughed in their face & put my money back in my pocket =)

HOLLYWOOD
12-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Come on guys you are smarter than this aren't you?

It is because CASH into a gift card is no longer cash and an easy way to move money.

Cash = No Trace

http://www.ggp.com/default.aspx (http://www.ggp.com/default.aspx)

I'll have to do some forum searching, but this isn't the first time we've reported problems/collusion/conspiring actions.

BINGO! This is exactly why government wants their hands on what you do, how you spend, where your at, and complete financial disclosure.

Add this to the Spy on Depositors Act of 2005, and you have your new Soviet Union/Warsaw pact government policies that track Everything you do!