PDA

View Full Version : Ronald Reagan: The Speech

nodope0695
12-19-2008, 02:51 AM
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/images/reagantimeforchoosingaa.JPG

A Time for Choosing, also known as "The Speech", was presented on a number of speaking occasions during the 1964 U.S. presidential election campaign by Ronald Reagan on behalf of Republican candidate Barry Goldwater.

Interesting how NOTHING has changed since Reagan gave this speech. It is as applicable today as it was in 1964.

The video in it's entirety:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1777069922535499977

Ex Post Facto
12-19-2008, 03:02 AM
Watching it now...you're right just the opening line matches Ron Paul. Hell, Bush sounded like Ron Paul in a lot of ways during his first run. You wonder why Ron Paul was dismissed as a 'kook' when he spoke the words of our founders and previous great presidents.

"Those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent it's happening." -Ronald Reagan

nodope0695
12-19-2008, 03:05 AM
Best Quote:

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it just that they know so much that isn't so.

xd9fan
12-19-2008, 10:34 AM
Reagen was a GOP fluke. Reagen was not a RINO. The party will never again let a guy like this get ahead.

emazur
12-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks for sharing, I submitted to digg, hopefully will get some attention:
http://digg.com/political_opinion/1964_Ronald_Reagan_s_excellent_speech_calls_for_li berty#

"A government can't control the economy without controlling the people. When a government sets out to do that, it must use force and coercion to achieve it's purpose... The more the plans fail the more the planners plan"

Pericles
12-20-2008, 12:43 AM
Not only has nothing changed, it has gotten worse.

hypnagogue
12-20-2008, 04:26 AM
I still think Reagan was all talk. His actual presidency wasn't very impressive.

LibertyEagle
12-20-2008, 04:30 AM
I still think Reagan was all talk. His actual presidency wasn't very impressive.

There were parts that were good, IMO. Keep in mind that he had a lefty Congress to deal with, so he couldn't implement a lot of what he wanted.

He was never the same after he was shot.

emazur
12-20-2008, 02:15 PM
shit, Murray Rothbard really seemed to despise Reagan:
http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard60.html

Mesogen
12-20-2008, 03:14 PM

He he , it wasn't the actual Reagan running that actual presidency.
After he was shot and survived, I don't think they left him alone after that.

nodope0695
12-21-2008, 04:57 AM
There were parts that were good, IMO. Keep in mind that he had a lefty Congress to deal with, so he couldn't implement a lot of what he wanted.

He was never the same after he was shot.

Shit, can you blame him. He was shot, IMHO, because he stood against the established elite. TPTB wanted Bush Senior in there, and if Reagan had died, they'd have had Bush.

I think after he was shot, Reagan realized who was really in charge, and deferred alot of his power to the evil elites.

nodope0695
12-21-2008, 04:58 AM
Thanks for sharing, I submitted to digg, hopefully will get some attention:
http://digg.com/political_opinion/1964_Ronald_Reagan_s_excellent_speech_calls_for_li berty#

"A government can't control the economy without controlling the people. When a government sets out to do that, it must use force and coercion to achieve it's purpose... The more the plans fail the more the planners plan"

Muchos gracias!

LibertyEagle
12-21-2008, 04:59 AM
Shit, can you blame him. He was shot, IMHO, because he stood against the established elite. TPTB wanted Bush Senior in there, and if Reagan had died, they'd have had Bush.

I think after he was shot, Reagan realized who was really in charge, and deferred alot of his power to the evil elites.

I didn't say I blamed him. I was just noting something I saw.

He goofed when he chose Bush for his running mate though. But, he probably didn't have any choice in the matter.

It's hard for me to hate Reagan, even though I'm very aware that he talked MUCH better than he acted. But oh, how he could talk. :)

nodope0695
12-21-2008, 05:03 AM
I didn't say I blamed him. I was just noting something I saw.

He goofed when he chose Bush for his running mate though. But, he probably didn't have any choice in the matter.

It's hard for me to hate Reagan, even though I'm very aware that he talked MUCH better than he acted. But oh, how he could talk. :)

Oh, I wasn't being critical of your comment....I was just saying that being shot would change anybody. Hell, if I were him, I'd be ducking behind stuff every time a car backfired. Hell, I bet he stayed inside with the dogs during the 4th of July!

Pericles
12-21-2008, 11:05 AM
He also went through two really hard fights with Congress, and the momentum ran out.

The first hard fight was to cut marginal tax rates, and that used a lot of political capital.

Next was defense and foreign policy - the idea of directly challenging communism was not popular with the Democrats (there were still some "hawks" among Democrats then). Iran - Contra and sending weapons to fighter against the Soviets in Afghanistan cost the rest of stack of chips.

It was impossible to get Congress to cut spending, with Gramm - Rudman - Hollings being the closest that he could get.

By '86 Congress was passing gun control legislation with a substantial majority of votes. You could argue that he could have vetoed the budget, that was the only card he had left. He was being undercut by Republicans in Congress that would not push the agenda - again very little has changed there.

LibertyEagle
12-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Next was defense and foreign policy - the idea of directly challenging communism was not popular with the Democrats (there were still some "hawks" among Democrats then).

There still ARE. Democrats overall aren't for peace. They just differ a bit on who they want to attack. And it's no surprise that many of the Dems didn't want to challenge Communism, as it meant fighting their own kind. :p

Pericles
12-21-2008, 02:12 PM
There still ARE. Democrats overall aren't for peace. They just differ a bit on who they want to attack. And it's no surprise that many of the Dems didn't want to challenge Communism, as it meant fighting their own kind. :p

It is just painful to be reminded of that.

nodope0695
12-21-2008, 05:41 PM
bump