PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina out of money, say not to fed Bailouts

kirkblitz
12-18-2008, 06:24 PM
This is why mark sanford is fucken awesome, Another reason to be proud of my govenor.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jnxMBzHKZu5u74KV7d_k2aSk5IHwD954MVRG0

At a time when other states are clamoring for cash, South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford is saying no thanks.

But Sanford is even balking, at least for now, at asking for a federal loan for his state's unemployment benefits, which otherwise will run out of money at the end of the year.

While the dispute is the latest chapter of a long-running fight with the state's unemployment department — Sanford doesn't believe its statistics on unemployment are accurate and wants another financial audit of the agency — the standoff threatens to halt weekly payments of up to $326 for about 77,000 people.

kirkblitz
12-18-2008, 08:25 PM

RSLudlum
12-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Do you know if we're a donor or donee state in federal funds ie taxes to the fed vs. funds recieved from the fed?

robert4rp08
12-18-2008, 10:34 PM
And this is why he isn't (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2nNSMZKv_A)... just saying.

haaaylee
12-18-2008, 11:31 PM
"If there is an ideological thread that runs through his actions, it seems libertarian. His two favorite movies — 'Gladiator' and 'Braveheart' — feature protagonists who die fighting for their causes."

Hmmm.

emazur
12-18-2008, 11:51 PM
just found this:
"I passionately believe government should only be as big as necessary...If that puts me in the category of Libertarian side of Republican...then I guess I'm guilty as charged." - Mark Sanford, after being accused of being a Libertarian by a a state senator.

And on wikipedia:
"While in Congress, Sanford was a staunch conservative (he garnered a lifetime rating of 92 from the American Conservative Union), but displayed an occasional independent streak. He often would be one of two members of Congress, along with Ron Paul, voting against bills that otherwise got unanimous support"

wiki also shows that a 3rd party (defunct Natural Law Party) got 9% of the vote against Sanford in '98 election. Not bad