PDA

View Full Version : What to say when GOP asks you to support something you dont agree with?

Matt Collins
12-18-2008, 01:10 PM
So I am becoming more and more active within my local GOP (as you all should be doing). And it looks like in the near future I might be on the executive committee of my local GOP organization. If and when this happens, I am pretty positive at some point they will ask or expect me to get on board with a candidate or an issue that I do not agree. For instance both of our Republican Senators voted for the bailout (Alexandar and Corker). I cannot support these two individuals in anything in the future because they have essentially violated their oath of office - to uphold the Constitution.

So my question to everyone here is, when the day comes, how do I eloquently refuse to support a GOP candidate or issue as a member of GOP leadersip without getting myself outcast or alienated?

Melissa
12-18-2008, 01:15 PM
we worked on campaigns that we agreed with, some they wanted us to make phone calls for like McCain, we just said we were busy or worked on another candidates election. Find a candidate that you can work with and just stick with them, none of the GOP (well a few do) but most don't expect you to agree on everything so work where you can and be polite when you say you are busy

Brian4Liberty
12-18-2008, 02:30 PM
What does support mean? You can support the GOP, but don't go out of your way for issues or candidates you don't agree with.

When there is a time for input or debate on issues, give your constitutional option/opinion in a positive manner. Support GOP candidates you like in primaries, don't be too negative on others. Promote ideas more than criticizing others. Don't be like some of the establishment jerks that refuse to listen to Ron Paul supporters. Basically, don't make enemies, and stick with your principals.

LittleLightShining
12-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Good question. I'm going to have to deal with this, too. Unless something really unexpected happens I should be named Finance Chair for my county committee at tonight's meeting. Luckily for me I like all of our candidates. The committees don't seem to be very active on issues right now so that shouldn't be a problem.

dannno
12-18-2008, 02:41 PM
I'd say don't do it.

Ron Paul has been taking this avenue for years. I'm sure you'll do great :)

That is unless you want to compromise your values to become a career infiltrator. That's another option.

LittleLightShining
12-18-2008, 02:43 PM
I should add that I have no intention of caving on any issue. But it's something o think about. THIS is why it's so important for us to be involved in the local parties.

RPTXState
12-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Look up your state platform and find something good (Ours says get out of the UN, repeal the War Powers Act, and oppose the TTC/NAFTA Superhighway). If someone attacks you for straying from the platform, bring those up.

ingrid
12-18-2008, 08:46 PM
So I am becoming more and more active within my local GOP (as you all should be doing). And it looks like in the near future I might be on the executive committee of my local GOP organization. If and when this happens, I am pretty positive at some point they will ask or expect me to get on board with a candidate or an issue that I do not agree. For instance both of our Republican Senators voted for the bailout (Alexandar and Corker). I cannot support these two individuals in anything in the future because they have essentially violated their oath of office - to uphold the Constitution.

So my question to everyone here is, when the day comes, how do I eloquently refuse to support a GOP candidate or issue as a member of GOP leadersip without getting myself outcast or alienated?

I was working as the Anne Arundel coordinator for Collins Bailey's (a Ron Paul supporter and liberty candidate) congressional run, so I wasn't asked to help out with McCain and Co. I do remember Collins said there was an issue where he and the MDGOP Chairman disagreed on, but the two of them just agreed to disagree.

If you're just an average supporter, they probably won't care, but if you're in a position of power, it would be harder to avoid supporting them. But without specifics, it's hard to say. I guess avoid the fundraising and events subcommittees.

Matt Collins
12-19-2008, 03:20 PM
If you're just an average supporter, they probably won't care, but if you're in a position of power, it would be harder to avoid supporting them. But without specifics, it's hard to say. I guess avoid the fundraising and events subcommittees.The chair just created a position and appointed me as CIO to the local GOP. Basically that means I'll be doing their website stuff, but in the next couple of months it looks more and more like I'll have a position on the executive committee where I get to vote.