PDA

View Full Version : Would you pay for ANONYMOUS (encrypted) Web Surfing?

rpfan2008
12-17-2008, 05:26 PM
How many of you would consider paying for anonymous web-surfing?

With SSL secured/encryption enabled lines?

Just curious, not that I am going to start any business myself. :)

Please vote on the poll, regarding your preferred pricing, what you think might be appropriate.

mediahasyou
12-17-2008, 05:32 PM
yes.

Kotin
12-17-2008, 05:39 PM
in a heartbeat.

RCA
12-17-2008, 05:43 PM
of course

Kludge
12-17-2008, 05:46 PM
There will be no internet if need (for a law-abiding and harmless citizen such as myself, at least) ever arises.

Chase
12-17-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm hesitant to do such things. It's not the price, and it's not for a lack of need. With unprecedented government spy powers, it's hard to trust a system someone else is running to keep you anonymous.

Remember HushMail?

Peace&Freedom
12-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Try:
http://xerobank.com/promotions/stop-the-spying/

There's also anonymousspeech.com for encrypted anonymous email (and associated privacy based services like anonymous surfing); it's based in Switzerland.

rpfan2008
12-18-2008, 10:43 AM
bump for curiosity

TruthisTreason
12-18-2008, 10:49 AM
How many of you would consider paying for anonymous web-surfing?

With SSL secured/encryption enabled lines?

Just curious, not that I am going to start any business myself. :)

Please vote on the poll, regarding your preferred pricing, what you think might be appropriate.

I used a program called www.anonymizer.com/ a few years ago. I got tired of being banned on forums for my 2 cents.:D

rpfan2008
12-18-2008, 10:55 AM
I used a program called www.anonymizer.com/ a few years ago. I got tired of being banned on forums for my 2 cents.:D

LOL

I used a similar program to open multiple accounts here, I do have a rotating IP scheme but the region and IP range (225.225.X.X) stays the same. :D

Crowish
12-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Back in the day, Johan Helsingius got busted by the Scientologists for providing anonymity on the Internet. It's a lot easier now, with the WWW.

alaric
12-18-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm hesitant to do such things. It's not the price, and it's not for a lack of need. With unprecedented government spy powers, it's hard to trust a system someone else is running to keep you anonymous.

Remember HushMail?

this is my concern, too!

Dequeant
12-18-2008, 08:47 PM
There is no point. If they have a warrant, they will still get your IP address and in doing so your ISP account, thereby tracing it back to you.

Paying for this "service" is like nothing more than paying double for your ISP.

I2P and TOR are much better, free, alternatives. They are also more secure, and because the "bounce" you through different countries, a simple warrant won't cut it. They'll need nothing less than international cooperation.

gb13
12-18-2008, 08:56 PM
... I2P and TOR are much better, free, alternatives. They are also more secure, and because the "bounce" you through different countries, a simple warrant won't cut it. They'll need nothing less than international cooperation.

What are these services (I2P & TOR)?

url please.

Dequeant
12-18-2008, 09:39 PM
They are both encrypted relays.

For instance, I run TOR on another computer I have. I use Google's Chrome as my browser on that computer. I can do anything on the web I can normally do. I even have another account on here I only access from that computer. They both work similarly

You run I2P/TOR on your computer. You tell your computer to connect to a "proxy" on itself (127.0.0.1). The Proxy you're connecting to is TOR/I2P.

Now every packet you send to whatever page you are browsing (say ronpaulforums for instance) gets bounced around multiple relays...an additional layer of encryption being added at each relay. Your computer never "touches" www.ronpaulforums.com. It only "touches" some computer in another country, that computer touched a different computer, that one touched another, and finally, that computer touched ronpaulforums. These various relays are in countries all over the planet. I prefer relays from countries I know will not cooperate with the U.S. such as China or south american nations. The only IP the admins of this forum will see are the IPs of the final computer in your relay chain, never yours.

I personally prefer TOR, however, with I2P you can actually host your own web sites anonymously.

I2P (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I2P)
TOR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Onion_Router)

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention. DO NOT mistake anonymity for security. The last computer in your chain will see in clear text the message you are sending. Another words, your email login/passwords etc. It is for this reason I created a NEW email and forum accounts specifically for my computer that runs TOR. Never use your TOR browser/computer to connect to your regular accounts, and never use your regular browser to connect to your TOR accounts. Live by that rule and you will always be anonymous and secure.