PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Arrested Over Head Scarf In Courtroom

socialize_me
12-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Wednesday, December 17, 2008 – updated: 10:04 am EST December 17, 2008

DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. -- A head scarf landed a Muslim woman in jail Tuesday after she refused to remove it during a hearing at the Douglasville Municipal Court.
Lisa Valentine, also known by her Islamic name, Miedah, 40, was arrested for 'violating a court policy of no headgear', Chris Womack, deputy chief of operations for the Douglasville Police Department said on Wednesday.

Valentine was in court with a nephew who was facing a traffic citation. She was wearing a hijab, the head covering worn by Muslim women.
When she refused to remove it she was handcuffed and taken to Judge Keith Rollins' chambers. He cited her for contempt and ordered her held in jail for 10 days.

Omar Hall, Valentine's husband, said she had been released late Tuesday.
"I can't believe someone would do this in America," Hall said, adding the couple plans to file a lawsuit.
Many Muslim women cover their heads, following an Islamic custom. The practice has created conflict and headlines in courtrooms and schools across the country.

And the courts are viewed by many Americans to protect us from unconstitutional acts?? Heh...

LibertyEagle
12-17-2008, 09:50 AM

And the courts are viewed by many Americans to protect us from unconstitutional acts?? Heh...

Nothing and I mean NOTHING will protect our liberties, if all we're going to do is sit on our asses and just bitch and moan on a message board. Apathy is what allowed our government to be taken over. We were TOLD to be ever vigilant and we weren't. So now, we complain that a piece of paper couldn't do it ALL for us? Oh, give me a break.

socialize_me
12-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Nothing and I mean NOTHING will protect our liberties, if all we're going to do is sit on our asses and just bitch and moan on a message board. Apathy is what allowed our government to be taken over. We were TOLD to be ever vigilant and we weren't. So now, we complain that a piece of paper couldn't do it ALL for us? Oh, give me a break.

*coughs* Meanwhile...you're still here.

Danke
12-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Nothing and I mean NOTHING will protect our liberties, if all we're going to do is sit on our asses and just bitch and moan on a message board.

What's the point of being a Moderator if no one is posting on the "message board" to moderate?

sratiug
12-17-2008, 10:16 AM

I'm gonna wear me a Saints hat to court next time I go... and tell em I'm Catholic.

They should send that judge to Afghanistan to be a traffic cop.