PDA

View Full Version : What Internet Browser do you guys recommend?

BCR_9er
12-16-2008, 09:14 PM
According to this yahoo news article http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/111811 Internet Explorer has major security flaws! What Browser would you guys recommend now? Please go into detail what browser is most secure, most userfriendly, etc. Please specify if you choose 'other'. Thank you.

BuddyRey
12-16-2008, 09:32 PM
I've never tried Chrome, but I do know that I'm ever-so-glad I switched over from Internet Explorer to Firefox. It's incredibly well-designed and user-friendly.

DamianTV
12-16-2008, 09:32 PM
IE has flaws. Firefox has flaws. Chrome has flaws. Point is they ALL have flaws.

Browsing safely on the internet is more of a state of mind over what browser you use. Stoopid people do stoopid things and it doesnt matter which browser you use, if people are going to get a virus, odds are they do something like download MP3's that are really .EXE's that contain viruses, and thus they deserve to get fried. Having a better browser doesnt help because if you make something more idiot proof than before, the world just builds a better idiot.

And while we are on the topic, why is it that everyone seems to think that TOOLBARS are just fine to install? Do they not get that is where a good portion of crap that gets on peoples computers comes from? Oh but its free! Free always has a price...

wizardwatson
12-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Switched to Firefox a couple years ago.

Never looked back.

inibo
12-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Lynx

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3008/3114504511_80de758c7b_b.jpg

heavenlyboy34
12-16-2008, 11:30 PM
heavenlyboy34 luvs Firefox best, but occasionally flirts with Safari and IE.

Roxi
12-17-2008, 11:36 AM
firefox does have its flaws, but it is FAR superior to IE and not just for security reasons.

there are a lot of ways to get a virus, not just exe's.... you can get them from your friends too ;)

chrome is completely tracked by google..... every thing you look at is logged forever in googles database, so i guess that only matters to you if you don't want people knowing what your looking at on the internetz

Andrew Ryan
12-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Firefox all the way!

Matt Collins
12-17-2008, 12:02 PM
FF for sure. I'll try Chrome one of these days because I tend to like almost anything that Google puts out. But I will still stay with the FF / Mozilla platform probably.

Mini-Me
12-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Lynx

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3008/3114504511_80de758c7b_b.jpg

Now that's what I call a man's browser. Launch it from a terminal-only distro without X for extra man points! :D

Kludge
12-17-2008, 02:18 PM
I only just dropped Chrome and switched back to Firefox... It has some very unique features that Firefox will hopefully implement soon... So that I don't ever think of using Chrome again.

DamianTV
12-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Myth 4: Privacy (google Chrome)

We’ve heard authoritative opinions that Chrome is not sending any information from a user’s computer to Google’s servers but this myth was also debunked pretty soon. The thing is that Chrome’s address and search bar “Omnibox” with auto-suggestion enabled actually sends all the characters typed by a user to Google servers (even before the user hits enter) if Google is set as a default search engine. And even after Google provides suggestions based on those keystrokes, Google will keep about 2% of this information along with the IP addresses that send those characters to Google. This is certainly supposed to raise concerns in those users already worried about the volume of information Google already has for almost every internet user.

Myth 5: Malware and phishing protection

I feel so much safer now that they only store 2% of the URL's I just type in the box up top. Why the fu*ck are they doing that in the first place? Along with my IP?

Myths about google's chrome browser (http://profy.com/2008/09/05/10-myths-about-google-chrome-browser/)

werdd
12-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Fuck chrome, I use IE.

dannno
12-18-2008, 06:00 PM
IE has always had security flaws and it has always been an inferior browser.

rpfan2008
12-18-2008, 06:00 PM
Opera's eye-candy beats FF, but the later have many many extensions. Both are almost similar in performance.

werdd
12-18-2008, 06:05 PM
IE has always had security flaws and it has always been an inferior browser.

For home use firefox might be fine, but if your in a business enviroment and run any kind of web based apps IE is the way to go. It is the most supported, for better or worse. L

Kind of like using a mac, yeah it looks cool and yeah theres no viruses, but it's nothing you will ever be able to get any work done on or collaborate with 95% of the population.

FunkBuddha
12-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Whatever you do, don't run any browser with administrator credentials. You can create a user level account and right click the browser icon to run it with alternate user credentials.

rpfan2008
12-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Whatever you do, don't run any browser with administrator credentials. You can create a user level account and right click the browser icon to run it with alternate user credentials.

You mean "Run as" the following user...?

but why?:confused:

DamianTV
12-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Running a browser as Admin means that any programs or apps that run in the browser also run with admin priviledges. Running as a restricted user that cant install apps partially compensates for these security holes by not allowing apps that want to install themselves thru the security holes to be installed.

One thing I recommend is if you use IE, NEVER run web with LOW security settings.

Something else is to use SPYBOT SEARCH & DESTROY (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/) and use the IMMUNIZE function to restrict known malware websites from having any priviledges. This also affects other browsers like Firefox and Opera. Highly recommended.

**If you search for SPYBOT, be damn careful of the links because most of them are ads for spyware programs. I've met numerous people that have gotten infected because they clicked on one of those links instead of just typing www.spybot.com in the address bar like I told them. If youre not sure, then I recommend downloading programs like these from known sources like download.com.

Andrew-Austin
12-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Don't bother with chrome, go with the fox.

american.swan
12-18-2008, 07:41 PM
I use Firefox, but I would like to use Elinks more.

hypnagogue
12-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Chrome is blazing fast until it encounters some snag. It doesn't handle bumps in the road very well. Firefox will work it's way through most difficulties, while still being faster than IE. I use Firefox.