PDA

View Full Version : A New Constitutional Convention???

BuddyRey
12-16-2008, 07:52 PM
I just heart on the radio that a proposal for a new Constitutional Convention has already been quietly passed by 33 states, and that if it clears 2 or 3 more, it will be a done deal, the first Constitutional Convention since 1913, when the 17th Amendment removed the election of U.S. Senators from State Legislatures. However, I have been unable to find any news or additional information about this potential Constitutional Convention, and I'm wondering if there are any sources to substantiate it.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Zippyjuan
12-16-2008, 08:34 PM
No, I haven't heard a thing outside the four or five (or is it more now?) threads on it. If two thirds of the states agree, they can call for a Constitutional Convention to propose amendments to the Constitution. These proposals must then be ratified by three fourths of the states to become part of the Constitution. Some of the state's votes on calling for a Convertion are decades old now and may be questionable as to whether they still apply. Some were for the Equal Rights Amendment (which never passed) from the 1970's and some were from the Balanced Budget Amendment (also not passed) from the 1980's. Should those votes still count as presently favoring a Convention or should they be required to vote again?

Anyhow, as said, you still need three fourths of the states to aprove anything which comes out of the Convention.

TinyMachines
12-17-2008, 12:00 AM
There are currently 32 states that called for the convention. The last was in 1983. That means two more states need to call for the convention. People are looking at Ohio as the probable next state to call. If that happens another could just be waiting for that moment.

I believe the last Constitutional Convention was in 1787.

nate895
12-17-2008, 12:16 AM
No, I haven't heard a thing outside the four or five (or is it more now?) threads on it. If two thirds of the states agree, they can call for a Constitutional Convention to propose amendments to the Constitution. These proposals must then be ratified by three fourths of the states to become part of the Constitution. Some of the state's votes on calling for a Convertion are decades old now and may be questionable as to whether they still apply. Some were for the Equal Rights Amendment (which never passed) from the 1970's and some were from the Balanced Budget Amendment (also not passed) from the 1980's. Should those votes still count as presently favoring a Convention or should they be required to vote again?

Anyhow, as said, you still need three fourths of the states to aprove anything which comes out of the Convention.

If they counted standing proposals from multiple different purposes, there would have been a convention already. Before the adoption of the repugnant 17th amendment, 29 states had called for conventions related to the matter. After Baker v. Carr, 31 states called for a convention to amend the Constitution so the Supreme Court couldn't determine the exact form of government for each state, it fell one state short since the man who led the effort died. 32 have called (though 3 have rescinded) for a balanced budget amendment related Constitution.

AdamT
12-17-2008, 12:29 AM
Ohio activists are putting up a fight against it. A ConCon would be a bad bad thing.

BuddyRey
12-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Ohio activists are putting up a fight against it. A ConCon would be a bad bad thing.

Wow! If this is for real, we really need to spread the word, especially to freedom-loving Ohioans.

TinyMachines
12-17-2008, 01:37 AM
I would ask for a new Constitutional Convention with open arms. I know that the Convention is almost sure to be packed with people who are very different politically from me. The Convention is almost sure to go the way of "freedom from" not "freedom to."
No one alive has seen this country do something so drastic politically. It will surely shock many people into getting somewhat educated on politics. The foremost thing the freedom movement is lacking is numbers. It will be hard to keep people apathetic if there is a new Con-Con and the economy is tanking. If it happens we should focus all our efforts on educating as many people as we can as fast as we can, because things are sure to change pretty quickly after the convention is over. We may have the manpower to change large things, because for every win we get in the freedom movement, the government gets 10. Maybe we can turn those numbers around.

Matt Collins
01-21-2009, 09:50 PM
There are currently 32 states that called for the convention. The last was in 1983. That means two more states need to call for the convention. People are looking at Ohio as the probable next state to call. If that happens another could just be waiting for that moment.

I believe the last Constitutional Convention was in 1787.I need some information on this.

Where can I get some rock solid info?

A state rep has asked me for it!

heavenlyboy34
01-21-2009, 09:56 PM
I need some information on this.

Where can I get some rock solid info?

A state rep has asked me for it!

Librarians are usually pretty helpful with this. Try asking your local branch. :)

Matt Collins
01-21-2009, 10:17 PM
I found it in another thread...

http://foavc.org (http://foavc.org/file.php/1/Amendments/112_cg_r_00199_1966_HL.JPG) has it all