PDA

View Full Version : Ordered Not to Engage at the Border...Unbelievable!!

PennCustom4RP
09-10-2007, 08:05 PM
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0709/10/ldt.01.html

Also, who bears the burden of enforcing the law at our southern border with Mexico? We'll discuss that issue when we return.

PILGRIM: And Border Patrol agents in Texas last week were involved in the pursuit of a drug suspect along our border with Mexico. They called local sheriffs for assistance. Now, during the pursuit, automatic gunfire was heard coming from the Mexican side of the border. And, according to Hudspeth County Sheriff Arvin West, his men conducted a search of the area alone because he said the agents, "were ordered not to engage on the border."

Joining me to discuss this issue and security along the border is Congressman Ted Poe, Republican from Texas, and sheriff of Hudspeth County, Texas, Arvin West.

And thank you for being here with us.

This does sound like a disturbing incident.

Let's start with you, Sheriff West.

What do you think should have been done at this juncture?

SHERIFF ARVIN WEST, HUDSPETH COUNTY, TEXAS: At that point, we should have all -- everybody should have engaged and went down there and -- to see if we could have got a hold of it or got -- apprehended this man or subjects that were down there shooting.

PILGRIM: So you feel that your men were left exposed in the situation?

WEST: Well, this ain't the first time. This has happened several times. We're kind of getting used to it now, I guess you might say.

PILGRIM: Representative Poe, do you believe that there is a real problem with the way the sheriff's office functions with the Border Patrol in this area?

REP. TED POE (R), TEXAS: Well, the sheriff's department wants to patrol the border to keep the crime out of the United States. Sometimes they don't have cooperation from the Border Patrol, who are supposed to do that for the United States. And apparently the Border Patrol sometimes doesn't engage the problem, but leaves and flees from the problem. That's very disturbing.

PILGRIM: You know, you recently returned -- you went to El Paso with one of our reporters, Casey Wian. You assessed the situation down there and then you shared your impressions on the floor of the House of Representatives last week.

So let me inform our viewers what you said: "The Border Patrol agents that work on our border do as good a job as our government will let them do. They are fine people, but they have to follow policies of somebody else. They do what they are told to do and it would seem to me that we ought to have our Border Patrol working more hand in hand with the locals, like the sheriff's department, and patrolling closer to the border."

So do you believe that the basic definitions of the job ought to be reconfigured?

POE: No question about it. The Border Patrol, mainly in that area, patrols Interstate 10, which is five to six miles from the border. That's too far away from the border. They need to be down on the border. And I think those decisions are being made by somebody else, not the good personnel that are working in the area. But it's probably made by somebody in Washington, D.C.

We need to work together. The sheriff's department are willing to help. They understand the people in that area. They grew up -- they were born in that area. They want to work with the Border Patrol. The Border Patrol needs to be closer to the border, not five miles away.

PILGRIM: You know, let me -- we did speak to the Border Patrol. So let's get their viewpoint into this discussion. Sheriff West, if you'll bear with me for a second, I would like to read this statement: "We, as law enforcement professionals, considered all factors during the incident. We considered the suspected smuggler, the narcotics and the vehicle were all secured and the roots of egress from the border area were also secured. The smart thing to do was not to place our personnel in further danger."

What do you think of that statement?

WEST: Well, here's the issue of it. Not 200 yards from where the shooting was taking place, there was two farm workers working on tractors out there oblivious as to what was going on around them, as bullets was going by their heads, I guess you might say. Prior to us getting there, they were never warned about the situation or pulled out of the hot zone, so to speak.

PILGRIM: You know, I'd like to move beyond this incident to just the general assessment of the border area, given the vast expertise of both of you gentlemen. And the White House says that security along the border is getting better.

Congressman Poe, do you believe that's true?

POE: No, I don't believe it's true. I've been up and down the 1,250 miles of the Texas/Mexico border several times. And when I go down there, I see very disturbing facts about how the violence is continuing. Drugs are coming in. Criminals are crossing the border and then going back into Mexico. So I think it's imperative that we deal with the situation the way it is. It is a troubled spot. It is a hot spot and when we have gunfire from the Mexican side coming to the American side, we need to be taking notice of that and not flee the scene.

PILGRIM: All right. Sheriff West, I need to ask you about another fact. There are footbridges spanning the Rio Grande River connecting the United States to Mexico. And we're showing pictures of them right now for our viewers. Now, these footbridges have been in place for a long time. But I understand you're quite concerned about this, as is Congressman Poe.

What do you think should be done?

Are they patrolled properly?

Do you think that they are -- they're giving open access to the U.S. border?

WEST: Well, first of all, I'll even furnish the torch. Just give me the OK to go down there and cut them down and we'll eliminate them. That's real simple to take care of. They've been there for a long time. Most of them crossings down there have names now that have been called -- that have been named for years. They need to go away and the Border Patrol needs to be allowed to move down on the levees and work the levees.

PILGRIM: Congressman Poe, the duration of their existence doesn't seem to be a recommendation for keeping them in place.

What would you suggest?

POE: I think those bridges -- there's 10 of them that I'm aware of in the area. They all need to be taken down. The way -- when I went down there and saw them, of course, those are footbridges for pedestrians to come across. They're out in the middle of no place. They serve, the only purpose, for allowing people to come into the United States illegally. Many of those people could bring drugs in their backpacks as they cross into the United States. They need to be removed.

PILGRIM: It seems fairly ill-advised.

Let me get your thoughts on another issue. The Mexican trucking deal allows Mexican trucks to -- unfettered access to the American highways.

What do you think about this policy, Congressman Poe?

POE: I think it's certainly unwise. It doesn't help the United States. The system is not reciprocal. American trucks are not yet allowed to go into Mexico. But having trucks that are overweight, with people who may not be able to read a street sign is not going to be advantageous to the United States. We need to study this longer and make sure that each truck is secure. We've got word from homeland security they're going to inspect all these trucks. They're not even inspecting the people that come into the United States now adequately. They're not going to be able to inspect these vehicles for safety and pollution and for who is on those vehicles, must less what cargo they're carrying.

PILGRIM: Sheriff West, does this complicate your job a bit?

WEST: Oh, absolutely. I've been in the trucking business myself. These people are real low paid. They drive several hours. Some of these people come as far as from Mexico City trying to meet their deadlines. And when road fatigue hits them, we're going to see several problems with them, yes.

PILGRIM: All right, thank you very much for your assessment of the situation, candid and frank. Representative Ted Poe, Sheriff Arvin West.

Thank you.

POE: Thank you.

WEST: Thank you, now.

Lord Xar
09-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Chertoff, Bush and the whole CFR clan LOVE the open borders -- forbid we actually enforce our borders. When a palestianian tries to cross the border they are shot to pieces --- over here we invite you right in, give you access to all of our services much to the chagrin of the voters!

This is the the most heinous thing in modern times.. the destruction of our sovereignty.....

ChooseLiberty
09-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Mexico is at war with the US.

It's like a little kid that keeps kicking a grown up in the leg. How many times before the grown up whacks the kid?

With the new ultra-feminized USA governed by the chickenhawk dynasty? Maybe never.