PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry... Ron Paul is not a slick politician!

barcop
09-10-2007, 08:00 PM
And thank God. He is an intellect, a statesman... a gentleman.

I don't get everyone the people who are saying he got owned by BO. His personality is what makes him... well him.

He doesn't come across as trying to sell you a car or wanting to rape your bank account.

He comes across as sincere and honorable. He tries to answer questions with a thought process, so everyone can understand the truth. What should he have done... acted like a babbling lunatic like BO to make a point? No.

People are tired of the same old political scammers... and one line answers. We need the long answers and even if he doesn't get to finish them... it makes people want to find out the rest. At least that's what it did for me.

Ron Paul did great... because he was himself. Period.

FrankRep
09-10-2007, 08:01 PM

Amen to that.

Prez4TheNet
09-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Unfortunately, America has been weaned to vote for the "slick" politican... thats what they have been doing for years... if you can't make your point in a 30 second soundbyte then you aren't fit to be president apparently

michaelwise
09-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Trolls, Ron handled BO very well for the time he was alloted.

barcop
09-10-2007, 08:04 PM

Who are you referring to being a troll? Do you even read posts before you respond?

Qiu
09-10-2007, 08:05 PM
The days of crowds standing patiently beside a platform for 2 hours watching Lincoln and Douglas debate are gone. Now all we've got is a bunch of joke making, slogan spewing would be presidents. Frankly, I think Ron is just fine the way he is- he stands out from the crowd this way.

Ron Paul Fan
Agree 100%. Someone in the another thread wanted Dr. Paul to get in a shouting match with O'Reilly and use his own tactics against him. I say that we let Ron Paul be Ron Paul. He's not going to yell and shove his ideas down peoples throats. He uses facts and reason to explain his arguments and that's what we need more of in this country. There was a whole thread started that said Dr. Paul was weak because he wasn't coming up with enough one liners. Give me a break.

max
NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT "BEING SLICK"

You can be bold without being slick....YOU MUST NEVER CONCEDE POINTS THAT SHOULD BE CHALLENGED

Watch how this guy handles neo-cons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=249JaIaubVw

Brasil Branco
09-10-2007, 08:06 PM
NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT "BEING SLICK"

You can be bold without being slick....YOU MUST NEVER CONCEDE POINTS THAT SHOULD BE CHALLENGED

Watch how this guy handles neo-cons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=249JaIaubVw

Dude, you're trying to compare Ron Paul to George Galloway... that's like comparing apples and oranges.

TheEvilDetector
09-10-2007, 08:07 PM
The days of crowds standing patiently beside a platform for 2 hours watching Lincoln and Douglas debate are gone. Now all we've got is a bunch of joke making, slogan spewing would be presidents.

In other words monkeys?

On second thought saying that would be an insult to monkeys.

barcop
09-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Agree 100%. Someone in the another thread wanted Dr. Paul to get in a shouting match with O'Reilly and use his own tactics against him. I say that we let Ron Paul be Ron Paul. He's not going to yell and shove his ideas down peoples throats. He uses facts and reason to explain his arguments and that's what we need more of in this country. There was a whole thread started that said Dr. Paul was weak because he wasn't coming up with enough one liners. Give me a break.

Exactly. People are waking up and want informed and truthful answers... not one line jokes. There is a reason why there is a Ron Paul movement and it's not because he's got a bridge to sell you. He's speaks with passion and truth.

Prez4TheNet
09-10-2007, 08:09 PM
The days of crowds standing patiently beside a platform for 2 hours watching Lincoln and Douglas debate are gone. Now all we've got is a bunch of joke making, slogan spewing would be presidents. Frankly, I think Ron is just fine the way he is- he stands out from the crowd this way.

Amen brother Amen.

Thats exactly why I don't have an optimistic view of Ron Paul's chances.

Seriously, at what point in time did the electorate get dumbed down to the point of only being able to accept catch phrases and slogans.

Reminds me of an Episode of West Wing where presidential candidates Matt Santos (played by Jimmy Smitts) had a debate with Arnie Vinnick (played by Alan Alda). They actually had a live free for all debate and I was like, "Wow... if only real life politics was like this!"

EvoPro
09-10-2007, 08:14 PM

QFT ^

Lord Xar
09-10-2007, 08:14 PM
You know what I am noticing.....

Posts with NEGATIVE HEADLINES and then a soft tone on the inside..

"RON PAUL BLEW IT.." --> then, I don't know why people think that.. he did great..

or

"OH MY GOD! FUNDRAISING IS DOWN!!!!" --> then on the inside.."well, he is not top tiered so we can understand that. But I have faith he will get better.."

Its subliminal messaging AND for casual observers.. who do not go into every thread but they see these headlines...

Personally, I think there is a reason.. but that is just me... I am paranoid.

im_a_pepper
09-10-2007, 08:15 PM
I agree totally, but it IS politics and he has to come across to the other half of the US as a "take charge" kinda guy and not someone who gets flustered when faced with opposition, even if he has all the right answers. Older people who grew up on propaganda media don't understand the Age of Information we live in and rely on the media to tell them what they need to know. When people like (most of us) our mothers and fathers see the O' Reilly Show they tend to phase out the issues and see someone cornered by "media." If they can't push back and survive they don't see the strength necessary to be a president. I see it in the debates and every interview by a political pundit. Ron gets flustered, stutters a bit, and reins in passion by politeness and generally those listening well enough hear his message awaken or as in my case find some bit of truth and a place to park what you had already believed in the first place but those few sheep who have yet to be shorned generally block his message out and grasp on to the old prop media of quick quips and heartfelt gunnery behind a 24 carat smile.

LibertyEagle
09-10-2007, 08:18 PM

"RON PAUL BLEW IT.." --> then, I don't know why people think that.. he did great..

or

"OH MY GOD! FUNDRAISING IS DOWN!!!!" --> then on the inside.."well, he is not top tiered so we can understand that. But I have faith he will get better.."

Its subliminal messaging AND for casual observers.. who do not go into every thread but they see these headlines...

Yeah, I've been noticing that myself. Hopefully, it is just lack of thinking on the thread-starter's part, because more than a few have been started by people who have been on this forum for awhile.

Nathan Hale
09-10-2007, 08:20 PM

I don't get everyone the people who are saying he got owned by BO. His personality is what makes him... well him.

He doesn't come across as trying to sell you a car or wanting to rape your bank account.

He comes across as sincere and honorable. He tries to answer questions with a thought process, so everyone can understand the truth. What should he have done... acted like a babbling lunatic like BO to make a point? No.

People are tired of the same old political scammers... and one line answers. We need the long answers and even if he doesn't get to finish them... it makes people want to find out the rest. At least that's what it did for me.

Sorry, but I disagree. Paul didn't make any points on the Factor. He conceded quite a few points. He ducked a few questions by falling back on his stump speech. But he didn't make any real points.

I'm a Ron Paul voter, and I love the guy, but he needs to handle these things better. No, we don't want him to be a greasy politician, but we do want him to be able to handle situations like this.

lost_in_samoa
09-10-2007, 08:20 PM

barcop
09-10-2007, 08:21 PM

or

How is stating Ron Paul is not a slick politician negative? I was making a counter statement to other posters stating he should have used one liners. Slick politicians are what have ruined this country. There was no double meaning in my title and my posts stands behind that. Mods are free to change the title if they feel it is negative... as I do not want to look that way.

fj45lvr
09-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Seriously, at what point in time did the electorate get dumbed down to the point of only being able to accept catch phrases and slogans.

It may come down to who has the hottest looking celebrities, biggest pyrotechnic show, most awesome soundtrack, nicest crib, and coolest limo!!!!

thats about where we are today....what else isn't already just a facade of silicon and botox highlighted by the right camera angles and lens filters??

EvoPro
09-10-2007, 08:24 PM
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS. No matter how sincerely they beg for it.

Seriously.

speciallyblend
09-10-2007, 08:27 PM

Amen,i concur

blazin_it_alwyz
09-10-2007, 08:34 PM

Dude you can live life through rose colored glasses, but the truth is, we as Ron Paul supporters shouldn't have to be advertising him. We shouldn't have to explain why people have unalienable rights granted by the Constitution that cannot be taken away.

People should be interested in the freedoms that they are losing, the wars we are fighting, the wealth we are losing, the health we are losing. But guess what, they are not. People are more interested in doing whatever, but bitching and complaining when they have to pay high insurance prices for cars/health care, bitching about high gas prices, bitching about video games being censored, and bitching about all the taxes they have to pay all the time.

But when it comes down to it, America at large really doesn't care anymore. You can argue this point all you want, but that is the world we live in.

You can play professional basketball all you want, but when you go to the HOOD, you are playing on someone else's court, and you have to play by their rules. Ron Paul can be the best candidate, but to win, he has to play on someone else's court, we can call that the uninformed American/biased media/governments court.

Why do you think Ron Paul ran republican? Because there is no chance of him being libertarian. Is it wrong? Yes. But did Ron Paul recognize that he has to play on someone else's court to win this election? YES.

And when you are playing on these guys court, you need to be clear and concise, if not, you are not playing by their rules, and they win.

We shouldn't even have to be campaigning. People should be flocking to Ron Paul, but they don't. So you guys need to recognize that most people are brainwashed, and the only way you can reach a lot of these people, is through soundbites, but informative sound bites, such as "I take my marching orders from the Constitution" or "Blowback of our foreign policy is one of the reasons 9/11 happened".

If people are not willing to research, they don't want to hear long explanations in the first place......Ron Paul has been doing great mixing it up, up until this o'Reilly video, but I expect Ron to bounce back...

barcop
09-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Sorry, but I disagree. Paul didn't make any points on the Factor. He conceded quite a few points. He ducked a few questions by falling back on his stump speech. But he didn't make any real points.

I'm a Ron Paul voter, and I love the guy, but he needs to handle these things better. No, we don't want him to be a greasy politician, but we do want him to be able to handle situations like this.

I see your point, but at the same time when BO asks a 2 minute question, with 2 other questions in the middle... I feel Ron Paul did a great job. Did he get every point... no. Was he given the opportunity to... no.

It was what it was... and he was himself... which it what attracts people to him. I don't think he ducked anything... I think he tried to answer parts of the questions that he thought he could explain the best. My head would have been spinning being bombed with that many questions in that amount of time. As soon as you start collecting your thoughts and speaking... you're cut off and the next question is already asked.

Tough situation for anyone to think straight.

The way I look at it... after living through 7 years of Bush speak... Ron Paul could speak is views in pig latin and still look like a genius.

ButchHowdy
09-10-2007, 08:35 PM
How is stating Ron Paul is not a slick politician negative? I was making a counter statement to other posters stating he should have used one liners. Slick politicians are what have ruined this country. There was no double meaning in my title and my posts stands behind that. Mods are free to change the title if they feel it is negative... as I do not want to look that way.

Actually, I liked YOUR approach and the excellent post that followed! Welcome to the Forum!

Nathan Hale
09-11-2007, 07:51 AM
I see your point, but at the same time when BO asks a 2 minute question, with 2 other questions in the middle... I feel Ron Paul did a great job. Did he get every point... no. Was he given the opportunity to... no.

Actually he was given the opportunity. I've seen people take charge against O'Reilly and refuse to allow themselves to be talked over or redirected. Paul just let it all happen.

It was what it was... and he was himself... which it what attracts people to him.

I consider myself a pretty good empath, capable of stepping outside of my bias and looking at a situation from other perspectives. Taking off my bias as a Ron Paul supporter, and watching the video of his interview from that perspective of neutrality, I did not find Paul appealing.

I don't think he ducked anything...

Twice he fell back on his stump speech to avoid the question asked.

I think he tried to answer parts of the questions that he thought he could explain the best. My head would have been spinning being bombed with that many questions in that amount of time. As soon as you start collecting your thoughts and speaking... you're cut off and the next question is already asked.

As I said above, this only happens if you let it. Plenty of people go on O'Reilly and refuse to let him jump around. Galloway did it without even raising his voice.

Tough situation for anyone to think straight.

Agreed. I've been on the air, and I'll be the first to say it's tough to think straight under that kind of pressure. But you know what? He should have to. This is the guy who's running for the presidency, and he needs to be able to keep control when in the line of fire.

The way I look at it... after living through 7 years of Bush speak... Ron Paul could speak is views in pig latin and still look like a genius.

I agree, and probably most people on this board agree. But what we think is irrelevant. It's what O'Reilly's 2,000,000 viewers think that matters.

glts
09-11-2007, 08:04 AM
Ron Paul was brilliant as usual! O'Reilly doesn't care about history. He supports only the agenda his owners (Rupert Murdock, etc.) tell him to. Anyone that has watched O'Reilly more than a couple of months without figuring him out NEVER will and they would have to be morons to watch him that long to start with.

Original_Intent
09-11-2007, 08:56 AM
I thought he did a great job, but also realize a lot of this is new experience to him. Yeah he has been a congressman for 20 years so he has given tons of well prepared speeches on CSPAN without interruption. I think he has handled himself exceptionally well and represented. I am glad he handles things the way he does, and I wish people would quit playing Monday morning QB so much. It is easy to look back and say "he should have, he could have..." but RP did not have the luxury of giving it even 15 seconds of thought, let alone the hours some of you have had to dissect his responses and craft what you think he should have said.

Seriously, if you think you can handle that kind of pressure and respond better, you really need to be campaigning, not advising.

We also don't know what is on the cutting room floor at Fox.