PDA

View Full Version : Outreach: Impeach Bush & Cheney

Pepsi
12-16-2008, 03:48 AM
H.Res. 1345 says Bush should be impeached because he "deceived Congress with fabricated threats of Iraq Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) to fraudulently obtain support for an authorization for the use of force against Iraq and used that fraudulently obtained authorization, then acting in his capacity under Article II, Section II of the Constitution as Commander in Chief, to commit US troops to combat in Iraq."

The evidence that Rep. Kucinich has presented for this charge is overwhelming. It is imperative to impeach George Bush both to hold him accountable for his crimes and to deter future Presidents from committing similar crimes.

As your constituent, I urge you to cosponsor H.Res. 1345 and H.Res. 1258: Impeaching George W. Bush, President of the United States, of high crimes and misdemeanors

Senate torture report confirms Bush, top officials guilty of war crimes

A report issued Thursday by the Senate Armed Services Committee has provided official and bipartisan confirmation that the infamous acts of torture carried out by US personnel at Abu Ghraib and Guantánamo were planned, ordered and orchestrated by the highest-ranking officials in the US government. Based on the Senate's own conclusions, those named in the document, including President George W. Bush, former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, are guilty of war crimes.

The key findings of the Senate panel's report on "Treatment of Detainees in US Custody" [PDF] are summed up in the introduction to its 29-page executive summary:

"The abuse of detainees in US custody cannot simply be attributed to the actions of ‘a few bad apples' acting on their own. The fact is that senior US officials in the United States government solicited information on how to use aggressive techniques, redefined the law to create the appearance of their legality, and authorized their use against detainees."

The product of multiple hearings and interviews carried out by committee staff members with more than 70 people over the course of 18 months, the final report was approved late last month. While the panel has not identified the 17 (out of 25) members present for the vote, given the committee's composition, at least four Republicans voted to endorse the findings, while none sought to register opposition.

Most of the information contained in the report had previously been made public, either through official testimony or media exposures. Nonetheless, the compilation of this information in a report endorsed by a Senate committee without dissent has undeniable significance. It amounts to official recognition that the US government followed a deliberate and systemic policy of torture.

The report begins by placing principal responsibility for torture on Bush himself in a section somewhat delicately entitled "Presidential order opens the door to considering aggressive techniques."

The reference is to a February 2002 memorandum signed by Bush, which announced to the world that Washington would not be bound by the Third Geneva Convention in its treatment of prisoners taken in its war in Afghanistan.

Bush's unilateral and extralegal proclamation that those captured in the so-called "war on terrorism" were not covered by the Geneva Conventions was the essential preparation for a regime of torture directed from the top. The administration was signaling that it would not be bound by the terms of an international statute that stated explicitly, "No physical or mental torture, nor any other form of coercion, may be inflicted on prisoners of war."

The timeline provided by the report makes clear that Bush's declaration followed less than two months after Defense Secretary Rumsfeld had initiated a program to "reverse engineer" techniques used by the Pentagon's Joint Personnel Recovery Agency, an outfit assigned to train military personnel to hold out against interrogation by regimes acting in violation of the Geneva Conventions.

These methods were derived largely from the experience of US POWs captured during the Korean War, whose treatment Washington at the time denounced as "torture" and "brainwashing." The Senate report comments: "It is particularly troubling that senior officials approved the use of techniques that were originally designed to simulate abusive tactics used by our enemies against our own soldiers and that were modeled, in part, on tactics used by the Communist Chinese to elicit false confessions from US military personnel."

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2008/dec2008/tort-d13.shtml

H. RES. 333=Impeaching Richard B. Cheney, Vice President of the United States, for high crimes and misdemeanors.

Resolved, That Richard B. Cheney, Vice President of the United States, is impeached for high crimes and misdemeanors, and that the following articles of impeachment be exhibited to the United States Senate:

Articles of impeachment exhibited by the House of Representatives of the United States of America in the name of itself and of the people of the United States of America, against Richard B. Cheney, Vice President of the United States of America, in maintenance and support of its impeachment against him for high crimes and misdemeanors.

H.Res. 799 =Impeaching Richard B. Cheney, Vice President of the United States, of high crimes and misdemeanors.

Resolved, That Richard B. Cheney, Vice President of the United States, is impeached for high crimes and misdemeanors, and that the following articles of impeachment be exhibited to the United States Senate:

Articles of impeachment exhibited by the House of Representatives of the United States of America in the name of itself and of the people of the United States of America, against Richard B. Cheney, Vice President of the United States of America, in maintenance and support of its impeachment against him for high crimes and misdemeanors.

Cheney admits authorizing detainee's torture

Outgoing VP says Guantanamo prison should stay open until end of terror war, but has no idea when that might be.

Monday, outgoing Vice President Dick Cheney made a startling statement on a nation-wide, televised broadcast.

When asked by ABC News reporter Jonathan Karl whether he approved of interrogation tactics used against a so-called "high value prisoner" at the controversial Guantanamo Bay prison, Mr. Cheney, in a break from his history of being press-shy, admitted to giving official sanctioning of torture.

"I supported it," he said regarding the practice known as "water-boarding," a form of simulated drowning. After World War II, Japanese soldiers were tried and convicted of war crimes in US courts for water-boarding, a practice which the outgoing Bush administration attempted to enshrine in policy.

"I was aware of the program, certainly, and involved in helping get the process cleared, as the agency in effect came in and wanted to know what they could and couldn't do," Cheney said. "And they talked to me, as well as others, to explain what they wanted to do. And I supported it."

He added: "It's been a remarkably successful effort, and I think the results speak for themselves."

ABC asked him if in hindsight he thought the tactics went too far. "I don't," he said.

The prisoner in question, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who the Bush administration alleges to have planned the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, is one of Guantanamo's "high value targets" thus far charged with war crimes.

Former military interrogator Travis Hall disagrees with Cheney's position.

"Proponents of Guantanamo underestimate what a powerful a propaganda tool Guantanamo has become for terrorist groups such as Al Qaeda, despite several Department of Defense studies documenting the propaganda value of detention centers," he said in a column for Opposing Views.

"For example, West Point’s Combating Terrorism Center has monitored numerous Al Qaeda references to Guantanamo in its recruitment propaganda materials," continued Hall. "Improvements to Guantanamo’s administration of judicial mechanisms will not make its way into Al Qaeda propaganda. Nothing short of closing Guantanamo will remove this arrow from its quiver."

President-elect Barack Obama has promised to close the prison and pull US forces out of Iraq. Cheney, however, has a different timeline for when Guantanamo Bay prison may be "responsibly" retired.

"Well, I think that that would come with the end of the war on terror," he told ABC.

Problematic to his assertion: Mr. Bush's "war on terror" is undefinable and unending by it's very nature, and Cheney seems to recognize this as fact.

Asked when his administration's terror war will end, he jostled, "Well, nobody knows. Nobody can specify that."

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Cheney_admits_authorizing_detainees_torture_1215.h tml

Pepsi
12-16-2008, 03:50 AM
I know it is probley to late, but nothing wrong with demanding that Congress move to impeach those bums!

cybloo
12-16-2008, 04:01 AM
Sadly, I doubt it will ever happen. Until it comes crashing down on our heads, DC will be status quo for awhile yet to come. And that means any talk of impeaching Bush will be tossed aside as fringe-craziness. I could see someone saying that we need to have solidarity in our time of financial crisis.

Whatever, though. I'll still be bugging my reps about it, that's for certain.

Pepsi
12-16-2008, 04:04 AM
Send them the info in the Senate torture report and Cheney admits authorizing detainee's torture.

Pepsi
12-16-2008, 05:34 AM
Why We Must Prosecute Bush And His Administration For War Crimes

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article21473.htm

acptulsa
12-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Impeach impeach impeach, my God. Damnation. What part of Congress does impeachment do we not understand. What part of it takes Congress a month to blow its nose do we not understand. There's one month left of the Dubya administration and in that month, Congress might be able to get an exploratory committee together to figure out where to begin and they could conceivably (if they act real fast) get a preliminary report out of that committee. If they act real fast.

Fuck impeachment. Who cares if they leave office a day early? Their Constitutional protection from indictments will end in one month, and indictments can send them to jail. That's what we need to be supporting.

Ex Post Facto
12-16-2008, 02:17 PM
I love how most people say it's too late. I sometimes want to scream at them, and tell them "Wake Up!" Every crime is prosecuted after the fact. Impeachment is the only way to make sure another president doesn't pardon him.

Pepsi
01-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Cheney: Bush's actions legal if not impeached

If you don't get punished, you didn't go anything wrong, right?

That's the message Vice President Dick Cheney gave in an interview with CBS' Bob Schieffer on Sunday, suggesting that a president's actions are legal if those actions didn't result in his impeachment.

Asked by Schieffer if he believed that anything the president does in time of war is legal, Cheney said there is "historic precedent of taking action that you wouldn't take in peacetime."

Cheney referenced Abraham Lincoln as an example of another president who "suspended the writ of habeus corpus" during a war, prompting this exchange:

###

SCHIEFFER: But nobody thinks that was legal.

CHENEY: Well, no. It certainly was in the sense he wasn't impeached. And it was a wartime measure that he took that I think history says today, yeah, that was probably a good thing to do.

###

The vice president spent much of the interview defending eight years of the Bush administration's policies, including its surveillance and interrogation programs.

When Schieffer asked if the Bush administration had gone "too far" in its surveillance program, Cheney said no.

"I don’t believe we violated anybody’s civil liberties," he said.

Cheney also urged President-elect Barack Obama to continue the Bush administration’s interrogation policies.

"I would hope [Obama] would avoid doing what others have done in the past, which is letting the campaign rhetoric guide his judgment in this absolutely crucial area," Cheney said. "We were very careful, we did everything by the book, and in fact we produced very significant results."

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Cheney_Presidents_actions_legal_if_hes_0104.html

Aratus
01-06-2009, 01:14 PM
andrew johnson had ten days in 1868 for his defense, and this is
after repeated attempts to impeach him. acptulsa is succinct... we all
know the clock is ticking down as we speak concerning bush and his veep!

Sandra
01-06-2009, 01:25 PM
If we don't, 27 other countries have jurisdiction over this since they committed crimes against 27 governments. Each one can bring him to trial for his crimes against their countries.

acptulsa
01-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Heh. Where'd you dig this up, good lady?

Two weeks. Where's the clamor for indictment? The guy should by all rights be two weeks away from Leavenworth, Kansas and his damned father is crowing about how his damned brother will be the next to bend us over!

Bro.Butch
01-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Heh. Where'd you dig this up, good lady?

Two weeks. Where's the clamor for indictment? The guy should by all rights be two weeks away from Leavenworth, Kansas and his damned father is crowing about how his damned brother will be the next to bend us over!

THX, saved me some typing--> INDICT the sorry SOBs and include is old buffoon of a daddy TOO.,.