PDA

View Full Version : Christmas gift-giving "ritual"

RCA
12-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Every year I get stressed trying to find suitable "gifts" for my family members who are very hard to buy for. I hate the feeling of having to buy something just because it's the traditional thing to. What's the point of gift-giving if it has turned into nothing more than paying a utility bill? I wish I could say, "I don't feel like exchanging gifts this year" but then I'd feel like Scrooge. Is this feeling just mine?

RSLudlum
12-15-2008, 10:38 PM
My family solves that problem every year by doing a gift exchange where everybody brings a gift and then pulls numbers. Each person in numerical order either picks a gift from the pile, or can steal a gift from someone else that has already picked from the pile. But a gift can only be stolen twice ie the third person holding the gift is the keeper of the gift. If you get a gift stolen from you, you can either steal from someone else or pick from the pile.

It's pretty fun (and economical) if you have a very large family.

On my wife's side of the family we do Pollyanna aka Secret Santa.

Kludge
12-15-2008, 10:43 PM
We exchange presents for favor and family political clout in my family. None of that "secret santa" bologna.

Jeremy
12-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Christmas killer!!! BoooooO!!!!!11

TastyWheat
12-16-2008, 12:15 AM
I get sick of gift hunting too. Aside from my girlfriend it's gift cards all around.

BuddyRey
12-16-2008, 12:23 AM
I doubt you're alone, but I find it hard to relate, unless the relative I'm shopping for is really tough to buy for.

If it's somebody I know very well, like my sister or my dad, I get really stoked trying to come up with the "perfect" gift ideas, and I end up looking forward to Christmas just so, if nothing else, I can see their reactions and feel the satisfaction of knowing that I "nailed it"! :D

Agent CSL
12-16-2008, 01:51 AM
I get gifts that are useful. My friend, a silver ounce. My dad, some nice toilet paper (because he buys the cheap stuff we all hate). I asked for sandpaper in all grain sizes.

No one has to engage in the consumerism holiday, but I tend to feel good when I give useful items, so I take the holiday in stride.

cybloo
12-16-2008, 02:07 AM
Aside from my boyfriend, all of my family and friends will be receiving a card with a hand-written message telling them how much they mean to me. It's all I can afford and really, I think it should be enough - especially when I only have 20 dollars to buy for 15+ people.