PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul's Weaknesses?

rp4prez
09-10-2007, 07:32 PM
After watch BO be typical BO *sigh* I think RP did well but not as well as he could have. So it got me to thinking that the only weakness I can see in RP is that he doesn't have down the quick come backs. In almost every interview I've seen him in he's pretty long winded. Probably not his fault because in almost every situation he has to educate someone about history in order to support his point of view! At any rate are there any other weaknesses that RP could work on?

PMatt
09-10-2007, 07:33 PM
My opinion is foreign policy due to the fact that to explain his position actually takes time compared to that "WE NEED TO TAKE THEM OUT BEFORE THEY TAKE US OUT" which takes 5 seconds. You saw it on O'Reilly.

0zzy
09-10-2007, 07:34 PM
My opinion is foreign policy due to the fact that to explain his position actually takes time compared to that "WE NEED TO TAKE THEM OUT BEFORE THEY TAKE US OUT" which takes 5 seconds. You saw it on O'Reilly.

Pretty much.

dmitchell
09-10-2007, 07:38 PM
If I could only give a single piece of advice it would be to slow down and not try to say so much so quickly.

chiefsmurph
09-10-2007, 07:38 PM
I would disagree about RP's quick comebacks. I have been surprised about his quick wit even at his age.

However, I would have to agree with you about the last interview. Could have been a little better, but didn't end up hurting him.

Vvick727
09-10-2007, 07:39 PM
I've noticed he does look around a lot

TruePatriot44
What was up with his eyes during the interview? They kept darting back and forth - made him look very unprofessional. It distracted from his message (what little there was due to Bill interrupting so much).

Ron Paul Fan
Yeah, I mean Dr. Paul is campaigning to be the President of the United States, not the new host of the Daily Show. Maybe Jon Stewart should run for President if all people are interested in is one liners and witty comebacks. I would never classify Ron Paul as weak when he uses facts and history to support his arguments. Maybe if more people did that we wouldn't be in the mess we're in today.

Elwar
Ron Paul's only weakness is Chocolate Chip cookies.

Qiu
09-10-2007, 07:40 PM
I would say that a major problem is his tendency to form incomplete sentences.

Matt Collins
09-10-2007, 07:41 PM
What was up with his eyes during the interview? They kept darting back and forth - made him look very unprofessional. It distracted from his message (what little there was due to Bill interrupting so much).See this: http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=17229

hard@work
09-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Whoever is his debate coach needs to prep him more. That's the real problem. I could have seen those O'reilly rebuttals a mile away. He should know that when O'reilly makes mistatements he needs to call him out with a question, such as "who" and keep down the line looking for a name. Really though at this point he should have called them out for misleading the public while being aware of the truth.

RJB
09-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Every candidate has bad interviews now and then. Dr. Paul is doing a hell of a lot better than Bush ever did. Clinton was a good talker but I felt like he was trying to sell me a used car. Hopefully the rest of America will wake up that this is the first politician not BSing them.

lapi7
09-10-2007, 07:56 PM
There are ways to disarm bullies like O'Riley.

NEVER, NEVER raise your voice or yell as they love that sort of tactic and it only makes a wise man look like a fool.

Actually, just the opposite is true. Be softly condecending in order to make your point.
As the bully blows up just smile politely and when he's just about finished pontificating pull soimething like putting your finger to your lips and softly saying
"Shhhhh.....Shhhhhhh....it's okay Bill....Shhhhh...just relax. Please be careful, I wouldn't want you to pop your blood preassure or anything...relax...good boy...now onto your question...etc

This, of course would piss him off royally and would cause him to protest yell even more...in which case one could come up with a whole plethrea of great ways to settle the little mans hash down...)

jjschless
09-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Ron Paul is fine as he is. He literally confounds the attack dogs. It is really quite amusing. Bill was just fishing for a sound bite and Dr. Paul denied him. Thanks for the free air time Bill.

RJB
09-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Ron Paul is fine as he is. He literally confounds the attack dogs. It is really quite amusing. Bill was just fishing for a sound bite and Dr. Paul denied him. Thanks for the free air time Bill.

You nailed it!

stevedasbach
09-10-2007, 08:10 PM
I've noticed he does look around a lot

It's hard to understand why this happens if you've never done a remote interview before. Dr. Paul was probably in a room about the size of a closet alone with the camera. There is no monitor, so he couldn't see BO (no body language or facial expressions to react to). He could hear BO in his earpiece -- that's it.

In media training, you learn to look straight at the camera and react to it like it's the person you're speaking with. If you don't force yourself to stay completely focused on the camera (which is VERY unnatural), you will find your eyes darting around.

I don't know if Dr. Paul has gone through professional media training recently. They might have thought it wasn't necessary, given his experience in Congress. However, remote interviews are very different and difficult -- some extra training never hurts.

Magsec
09-10-2007, 08:11 PM
There's virtually no way to win against BO when you disagree with him. He's the puppetmaster and will say anything at any cost to make you think he's right.