PDA

View Full Version : Activist With Possible KGB Ties Visits Staff of Ron Paul

Knightskye
12-15-2008, 01:28 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hMnyhi271aAK4L-atLf9LMYKFNZAD9536TR80

Article showed up in my "Ron Paul" RSS feed.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Lira Tskhovrebova flew nearly 6,000 miles to Washington on a mission: The self-described independent activist from South Ossetia wanted to challenge the strong U.S. support for Georgia in its war with Russia over the breakaway region and describe atrocities by Georgian troops.

Backed by an expensive public relations firm, Tskhovrebova lined up meetings with U.S. officials, including staff for Sen. Patrick Leahy, chairman of a panel overseeing foreign aid. The U.S. government itself paid for an academic event where she plans to speak this week.

Aside from Leahy's office, Tskhovrebova also visited the staff of Republican Rep. Ron Paul and the Helsinki Commission, which helps formulate U.S. policy on the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe. The OSCE, which had funded Tskhovrebova's work, has been barred from South Ossetia by the separatist government.

SamuraisWisdom
12-15-2008, 02:03 PM
A little lobbying going on there probably.

Elwar
12-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Umm, why would anyone who wants any special consideration made visit Ron Paul? I mean, sure he gives great speeches and probably supports what the lady wants, but he has no pull among the good ol' boys.

Maybe she just liked his YouTube vids?

Sandra
12-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Russian media took sympathy with the US noncoverage of Ron Paul.

Knightskye
12-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Umm, why would anyone who wants any special consideration made visit Ron Paul? I mean, sure he gives great speeches and probably supports what the lady wants, but he has no pull among the good ol' boys.

I remember reading something about a woman from Texas asking Ron Paul about his position on a homeschooling bill.

Maybe if she read the Constitution, she'd know where Ron Paul stands on everything.

ShannonOBrien
12-15-2008, 08:36 PM

I know! How weird is that? How is it that the Russian media took sympathy on us for the censorship in our media?

The world has gone mad.

Bruno
12-15-2008, 08:38 PM
I know! How weird is that? How is it that the Russian media took sympathy on us for the censorship in our media?

The world has gone mad.

Maybe because they know what it is like to live under censorship?

dannno
12-15-2008, 09:13 PM
This is ad hominem.. what this woman is doing is really important whether she worked for the KGB or not. Ron Paul is probably one of the few people who is willing to listen.

Ron Paul, Pat Buchanan and Alex Jones are the only prominent people I can think of off the top of my head who actually spoke rationally about the Georgia conflict.

paulitics
12-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Does Russia still have a central bank? Who prints the money over there?

Conza88
12-15-2008, 09:24 PM

The world has gone mad.

Maybe because they know what it is like to live under censorship?

Nope. They never took sympathy with the non US coverage of Ron Paul.

Their use of Ron Paul in their media is in their own self interest. Remember that :)

Knightskye
12-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Does Russia still have a central bank? Who prints the money over there?

I don't know, but I watched something about Russia last night on CNBC or CNBC World, and it said most Russians pay in cash, and very few use credit cards.

But sales of vodka have dropped sharply.

sparebulb
12-15-2008, 11:40 PM
The reason that US foreign policy has been that of provocation to Russia is rooted in the fact that Russia has an emerging middle class and is taking measures to improve their language and national identity as well as returning their church to it traditional role. The neo-globalists hate this and are demonizing them.