PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Ways To Get Voters and Grassroot Sign ups?

newyearsrevolution08
12-14-2008, 05:12 AM
So what do you think are the top 10 ways to get voters and grassroots supporters onboard? What was it for you during the ron paul campaign that you felt was the most effective effort?

Examples.

Sign Holding Events with News Coverage
Letters to the editor
Door to Door precint walking
Precinct Calls
Local Meetup Group

and so on.

I am trying to get a strategy together for my local group and what better way to form a strategy than to use the TOP 10 methods based on many peoples opinions and personal experience.

So let's have it.

------------------------------------------

CURRENT LIST - Updated based on user input on what has been proven to work ALREADY

1. Food Drives, clean up day with media alerted for free publicity
2. "Issue Specific Locations" - Pretty girls getting sign ups and spreading the message (gun shows and other issue specific events that might have the target audience.)
3. Free food or giveaway of some type to get people to an event, location and so on.
4. Email Lists
5. DVD and Book Hand Outs
6. what works for you?
7. what works for you?
8. what works for you?
9. what works for you?
10. what works for you?

---------------------------

DirtMcGirt
12-14-2008, 06:29 AM
I believe to get new members on board we should have a coordinated volunteer effort with members of CFL in your state. Some type of can food drop, local park cleanup, etc. If we do this while having a well written press release and some type of media coverage i think it could be very effective in recruiting new members.

newyearsrevolution08
12-14-2008, 06:42 AM
I believe to get new members on board we should have a coordinated volunteer effort with members of CFL in your state. Some type of can food drop, local park cleanup, etc. If we do this while having a well written press release and some type of media coverage i think it could be very effective in recruiting new members.

Has this been a proven tactic, or something you think would work? Pretty much I am trying to get proven and battle tested recruitment ideas especially since we have local elections coming up and need to build a solid team here in Fresno. We have more and more signing up on cfl here in fresno. I am not seeing much going on currently SO I thought getting a proven list of ideas that have already been proven to work would be beneficial to everyone on here.

Conza88
12-14-2008, 06:48 AM
Best method; used by someone I know..

Government just takes a bad action.. you go to the place that people are more than likely going to congregate..

Say.. a Gun Show because Obama is now in.. You hire a few hot girls to go around, getting people to sign up to the cause. (Guys find it hard to say no... ;) )

This worked for the local libertarian party here... government was banning a drag racing venue... so they went to a car show, go the hot girls, and they needed members to sign up to the party - to become official locally..

They got like 500 new members... lol

Same method, diff reason or whatever.. and it would work wonders.

Conza88
12-14-2008, 06:51 AM
No-one is going to want to listen to you talk when they are out about some ideology or whatever. You need to get into the mind of the avg american / person...

It DEPENDS on your goal though... want just signatures for a petition? Or you actually want to find activists? Or you want to spread the message? Or you simply want email addresses - get people on the list, so they can start getting emails from Ron Paul or C4L..

Matt Collins
12-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Free food, and offering something of value.

newyearsrevolution08
12-14-2008, 02:02 PM
SO far we have

1. Food Drives, clean up day with media alerted for free publicity
2. "Issue Specific Locations" - Pretty girls getting sign ups and spreading the message (gun shows and other issue specific events that might have the target audience.)
3. Free food or giveaway of some type to get people to an event, location and so on.

Anything else that people have used already and has actually worked? I think a solid list of these activities once put together need to get emailed to everyone including the cfl and yal so they too can offer these ideas up to the volunteers and grassroot supporters.

Proven methods with proven results, why reinvent the marketing wheel anyways.

SO anyone use

1. phone bank or auto dialers
2. precinct walk
3. precinct calls
4. print advertising
5. tv or radio advertising
6. letters to the editor
7. sign holding events
8. yard signs everywhere
9. flier hand out
10. parks, malls or anywhere else with large group of people
11. bumper stickers or window clings
12. tshirts or other apparel
13. mail or letters to neighbors
14. business cards of some type

As you can see I am just looking for anything that someone has used with proven results already. This will allow those who have NO IDEA of where to start to at least start with a marketing method that has already worked for others versus them trying to "wing it".

raystone
12-14-2008, 07:58 PM
I sent out an email to everyone that signed up with an email on the original "100,000 goal" sign up site, but had not joined new C4L site. Got 50 new members in 2 days.
After that, we'll be calling everyone who voted for Ron Paul, 1.3? million target list there across the country. 19k in my state. C4L should be releasing that list soon to Precinct Leaders.

newyearsrevolution08
12-14-2008, 08:05 PM
One thing that worked in my old marketing days was "advertising co-ops"

For instance, a cool thing maybe each state or even more local could do is go in together on local tv advertising.

If there are 10 groups within a close enough area which all have 10 people per group and everyone puts in $100 a piece

100 people x $100 = $10k which could get a decent amount of advertising bought for their local group recruitment and gotv efforts.

Some groups with 100+ members could really do a huge local advertising and marketing effort to generate even more cfl members as well who can then possibly help donate money towards the next advertising co-op.

Not sure if anyone or any group tried this during the presidential campaign or not BUT if anyone did, please share your experiences and if it worked well or not.

Instead of buying ad times during the news, do it during off hours to snag up those "board at night" types who either don't care for the news or are apathetic towards politics in general and MIGHT find a reason to join their local cfl if they see a decent advertisement for it + since a local group is doing the advertising they can check the group page, contact the precinct leader and get in on the next meeting.

Pete
12-14-2008, 09:06 PM
I sent out an email to everyone that signed up with an email on the original "100,000 goal" sign up site, but had not joined new C4L site. Got 50 new members in 2 days.
After that, we'll be calling everyone who voted for Ron Paul, 1.3? million target list there across the country. 19k in my state. C4L should be releasing that list soon to Precinct Leaders.

Wow, that's good. Out of how many? I sent the CFL invitation to 40 people, with some wording changes, and had one join. Obviously, I need to change something.

newyearsrevolution08
12-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Another thing for those of us still in our meetup groups to make sure and email all of them with our local cfl information so they can realize where the ron paul groups moved to. Some are not up on the cfl yet and are still doing the ron paul group thing without even being attached to the cfl.

I think we lost a good 2/3rd or more of the grassroots "Active" supporters and need to work towards getting them back and active but within the cfl itself.

So maybe "old ron paul group" contact lists to make them aware of the cfl and how to sign up.

Elwar
12-15-2008, 10:52 AM
The New Hampshire folks had a study showing the precincts where they had precinct leaders who went out and campaigned door to door vs those that didn't. The precincts that went door to door had a higher voting percentage for Ron Paul.

Theocrat
12-15-2008, 10:55 AM
The grassroots could pass out Ron Paul DVDs and books.

newyearsrevolution08
12-15-2008, 11:09 AM
The grassroots could pass out Ron Paul DVDs and books.

What would be the best strategy behind this though. I mean I think the best strategy will be to not be so "ron paul or bust" but rather push the principles that he and many of us believe in.

What are your thoughts on doing a handout that is a blend of ron paul and other patriots and rather than propping up just a single candidate like Ron Paul it would rather prop up the principles instead and push for membership in the CFL versus a vote for a specific candidate.

I think dvd and book hand outs are a great idea or maybe just a general flier handout in some fashion with a link to a website with the video on it. Save time and money that way + be able to link them straight to the cfl with a link from the video page.

I think I might get started on writing up a small pamphlet that will sell the liberty message versus RON PAUL is the best.... Videos, I am not so good at BUT I know there are plenty of ron paul dvd's out there worth linking to through the site as well as links to actual dvd handout websites that would be more than happy to get the extra traffic in this fashion.

I think the cfl should get a "dvd handout" sheet going. Something that is maybe able to be bought through the cfl store itself and in quantity as well if needed that a volunteer could buy and hand out.

Another great idea that would be great as well that just came to my head.....

Have it so the dvd package can be dropshipped FROM the cfl store. Save on shipping + saves time and money. All you would have to do is enter your precinct list into the cart in some fashion and say I want to pay for "10" packages to be shipped and as they get shipped, they get marked off the list.

Allow someone the ability to market their precinct or just contact specific voter types whether republican or democrat. For instance we really need to get ready to attract the democrats for the next election cycle BECAUSE once obama fucks up there will be plenty of democrats wanting something different and we don't need them finding it in romney or huckabee.

I think a dropshipping or auto mailing service would be amazing.

1. Precinct List
2. Select what you want to mail - dvd, flier, handout, personalized card
3. Select how many you want to mail out.
4. Enter payment information
5. CFL mails out the packages with your return info on the box or blank if wanted.

---------------------

The CFL would be able to get a business account mailing wise so the shipping would be cheaper.

If not the cfl doing this, I see this being a great "dropship marketing" tool that could end up being very effective.

Have various types of handouts based on various topics, professionally printed as well as plain white paper with black print for those wanting the cheapest method.

fr33domfightr
12-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Here's a couple ideas:

1. Free info DVDs like AOL was giving out before. Everyone got them. The joke later was to use them as drink coasters. This would at least get the word out.

2. What about a free prize giveaway (Grand (1), 1st (10), 2nd (20), 3rd (100)). Current followers could donate a small sum of money to help pay for the prizes. This could easily spread virally via email to everyone. No purchase necessary. Only 1 entry per email address (each member in a family could enter). Open to U.S. Citizens only?? On the sign up form, there could be an opt-out checkbox (defaulted to opt-in) for future information, etc. Prizes could range from a trip to Washington D.C for the Inaguration, attend the Inagural Ball, Vacation hot spot, free books, free DVDs, SOME REAL MONEY ($50K in GOLD COINS), etc., etc.

I actually like number two. It's easy, and most people won't object to be notified of a free giveaway, so it could spread far and wide.

FF

Elwar
12-15-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm not so big on the DVD stuff. Sure it's great if people watch it but I got about 4 different DVDs during the campaign from other Ron Paul supporters mainly about the Zeitgeist movies. I think I might've started watching one but wasn't into it and the rest lay unwatched in my desk. Even then, if I wasn't already "in the scene" and one of the guys gave me those DVDs like "dude...you gotta watch this...there's a whole lot going on that you don't know about", I'd think that the guy was weird and would probably not want to watch the DVD just so I didn't become weird like him.

I was trying to think of a way I could get my family to watch Freedom to Facism without being yet another "Hey, check out yet another libertarian thing from the political guy in the family" (fortunately my mother doesn't mind me getting her Ayn Rand books for Christmas).

I think the best way to go about it is like a Netflix type of "promotional DVD". Make up a company name like "Home movie delivery" and give them their free DVD as a promotion. Though, that's a bit dishonest.

I'm still not sure, I just can't see regular folks getting a DVD with a bunch of YouTube clips watching through the whole thing. Would you watch a DVD that McDonalds gave you that had a bunch of propaganda about how great the company is?

Tatsit
12-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Best method; used by someone I know..

Government just takes a bad action.. you go to the place that people are more than likely going to congregate..

Say.. a Gun Show because Obama is now in.. You hire a few hot girls to go around, getting people to sign up to the cause. (Guys find it hard to say no... ;) )

This worked for the local libertarian party here... government was banning a drag racing venue... so they went to a car show, go the hot girls, and they needed members to sign up to the party - to become official locally..

They got like 500 new members... lol

Same method, diff reason or whatever.. and it would work wonders.

That just means the guys are in it for the girls not for the reason - out of that 500 how many are active in the movement? 1 maybe?

Conza88
12-23-2008, 07:00 PM
That just means the guys are in it for the girls not for the reason - out of that 500 how many are active in the movement? 1 maybe?

Well, the goal was membership no's - so they cld be considered an official party. I probably should have expanded or stipulated that. I'm down in Australia, we're just getting an LP party started. But making ground quickly.. :)

ShannonOBrien
12-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Calling the people in your precinct doing a poll to find liberty minded folks and then later on working to get them involved. It's a lot less effort and usually much more successful. I just took my voter list and cross referenced it with the phone book. That's how I got their numbers.