PDA

View Full Version : The Second Amendment and Switzerland

socialize_me
12-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Great read :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland

Checkout that picture of the guy with a gun in the grocery store. That's fuckin awesome! And we're getting in a fuss over giving Plaxico Burress 3-5 years in prison for having a pissant pistol?

james1906
12-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Meh, after joining the UN, Switzerland has lost much of what made it great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland#Changes_due_to_the_Sch engen_treaty

Kotin
12-11-2008, 11:09 PM
great read.. gotta love the Swiss..

thanks!

socialize_me
12-12-2008, 06:44 AM
bump

Malakai
12-12-2008, 07:28 AM
I dream of a day I can walk with an assault rifle on my person.

Seriously, if everyone debating robbing a house or business KNOWS there is at least 1 assault rifle waiting for them inside, mm fine deterrent indeed.

xd9fan
12-12-2008, 09:13 AM
We can have that......but the people have to want it and believe a Republic is worth having and protecting.

But most dont know what a republic is.....or what liberty means.

Americans need to stop looking to washington for most things in life. be it "rights" protection or other freedoms

If americans held their money close to their collective chest........the massive Federal govt would stop in a heartbeat.

jabrownie
12-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Is there actually any law preventing openly carrying a firearm? I know a few states do, but I think the vast majority allow it. It's only concealed carry that tends to be prohibited. I think it's just that nobody does it simply because if they did they'd have 50 cops on them trying to enforce imaginary powers.

tmg19103
12-12-2008, 10:38 AM
What surprises me is that in such a pro-gun country as Switzerland one needs a permit to buy a gun, which essentially registers you as a gun owner.

In Pennsylvania where I live you walk into a gun shop, show you ID, they do an instant background check, and you walk out with your firearm(s) as long as you are not a felon, subject to a PFA, or adjudicated a danger to yourself or others as mentally ill.

Federal background check info through NICS is destroyed soon afterwards by the federal government. The point being it is none of the government's business as to who goes about exercising their constitutional rights.

Now more draconian states like NJ require you to get a permit and register your firearms, but I think PA has it right.

tmg19103
12-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Is there actually any law preventing openly carrying a firearm? I know a few states do, but I think the vast majority allow it. It's only concealed carry that tends to be prohibited. I think it's just that nobody does it simply because if they did they'd have 50 cops on them trying to enforce imaginary powers.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20081212_Gun-toting_woman_divides_community.html

steph3n
12-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Texas doesn't allow open carry and technically even a rifle in the rifle rack of a truck is illegal, but open carry violations are rarely enforced in most of the land area of Texas, now in the metro areas you'd probably get a ticket :(

Pericles
12-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Meh, after joining the UN, Switzerland has lost much of what made it great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland#Changes_due_to_the_Sch engen_treaty

Quite true. I say that as a US Citizen with Swiss residence.

Switzerland will still (as a foreigner) let me have better weapons than my own government allows.

The usual way around the ammo restriction is that military ammo is 5.6mm Swiss, but the round is interchangeable with 5.56mm NATO, which is not restricted .... guess what everybody buys?

What the article did not say was if you want more weapons than the initial permit grants, you fill out another form and the approval is rubber stamped.

pcosmar
12-12-2008, 10:51 AM
The Second Amendment and Switzerland

Not exactly. There are guns in Switzerland. However they do not have a 2nd amendment.
WE DO, but it has been violated and ignored.

Scribbler de Stebbing
12-12-2008, 10:56 AM
That was a militiaman in the store. That's like seeing cops with guns. Their carry permit system stinks:

To carry firearms in public or outdoors (and for an individual who is a member of the militia carrying a firearm other than his Army-issue personal weapons off-duty), a person must have a Waffentragschein (weapon carrying permit), which in most cases is issued only to private citizens working in occupations such as security.

I just received my MN carry permit yesterday, and we can carry concealed or open. Open carry is not advised, though legal. A friend did it, and had a neighbor calling the cops screaming, "there's a guy with a gun on the street." We need to educate.

Andrew Ryan
12-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Texas doesn't allow open carry and technically even a rifle in the rifle rack of a truck is illegal, but open carry violations are rarely enforced in most of the land area of Texas, now in the metro areas you'd probably get a ticket :(
Wtf? I thought Texas was one of the most pro gun states in the union?

steph3n
12-12-2008, 12:07 PM

Many guns yes, open carry not at all. also only licensed concealed carry.

Check out this site:
http://www.opencarry.org/

powerofreason
12-12-2008, 02:09 PM
If you were to open carry an "assault rifle" in CT you'd probably go to jail for for at least 7 or 8 years. Land of the free baby!

xd9fan
12-12-2008, 04:50 PM
That was a militiaman in the store. That's like seeing cops with guns. Their carry permit system stinks:

good point I stand corrected!!!

I just received my MN carry permit yesterday, and we can carry concealed or open. Open carry is not advised, though legal. A friend did it, and had a neighbor calling the cops screaming, "there's a guy with a gun on the street." We need to educate.

Congrats on the permit....I think the MN carry numbers are around 56,000 people.
I was at a caribou coffee today and 3 ladies (30's-40's) where talking about the conceal class that one of them went to. I was 7 feet away armed, concealed, enjoying my coffee with a warm fuzzy liberty smile on my face. The gal hit all the right logical points on why everyone should carry. She even said the word liberty........(I damn near died......nobody says that word in public anymore) I was going to walk up and thank her for joining the fight for diginity...but the right moment never happened.

It was beautiful. she rocked.
and I would have never quess she would have ever been armed......awesome
anyway check out www.twincitiescarry.com
great forum!!

tmg19103
12-12-2008, 05:06 PM

As far as laws go, I'd say Vermont, Alaska, Pennsylvania and Florida are the most pro-gun states - and in that order IMHO.

Ron Paul Vermont
12-12-2008, 07:13 PM

Nope... That is a common misconception though...

james1906
12-14-2008, 10:31 AM

We will as soon as Ron Paul gets elected governor in 2010.

Hint, hint Ron!

DFF
12-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Holy shit! Not only does Switzerland have the best banking system in the world but also the most badass gun laws as well! :D

Scribbler de Stebbing
12-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Holy shit! Not only does Switzerland have the best banking system in the world but also the most badass gun laws as well! :D

Actually, our gun laws are better. Swiss govt won't issue carry permits except to those in security fields. Militiamen get to carry to and from practice, but not otherwise without one of the hard-to-get permits.

The Concealed Carry Permit revolution shows that grassroots efforts work. We worked for years on that issue here in MN. I got on board in 1996, and the law finally passed in 2002. Now 32 states (last I knew) have "shall-issue" laws, meaning they have to give the permits to anyone who wants them if they're not a felon, etc., and complete some training,