PDA

View Full Version : Auto bailout dies in the Senate, for now!

QueenB4Liberty
12-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Auto bailout collapses in Senate
Negotiations to bring measure up for vote fall short, possibly dooming GM, Chrysler to bankruptcy.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Hopes for Congressional approval of a bailout of the U.S. auto industry appeared to fall apart late Thursday night as Senate leaders said Democrats and Republicans were unable to reach a compromised deal that could get the bipartisan support needed to bring the measure for the vote.

The 52-35 vote followed the collapse of negotiations between Senate Democrats and Republicans seeking a compromise that all sides could accept.

"We have worked and worked and we can spend all night tonight, tomorrow, Saturday, and Sunday, and we're not going to get to the finish line," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D.-Nev.,said on the Senate floor before the vote. "That's just the way it is. There's too much difference between the two sides."

Reid acknowledged that the bill would not survive the procedural vote.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said the sticking point was the United Auto Workers' refusal to set a "date certain" to put employees at U.S. auto manufacturers at "parity pay" with U.S. employees at foreign automakers in the United States.

Currently, analysts estimate the union workers at U.S. automakers make about $3 to $4 per hour more than the non-union U.S. employees of foreign automakers like Toyota and Honda, according to the Center for Automotive Research.

The House easily passed the bailout bill earlier this week, but it quickly ran into trouble in the Senate where Republicans objected to several provisions. Negotiations Thursday involved a compromise proposal put forward by Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., but the senators could not reach agreement.

The bill that passed the House Wednesday would have provided $14 billion in federal loans as a stopgap measure until the new Congress and the incoming Obama administration could reach a longer-term solution.

But Senate rules gave the Republican minority the ability to block a vote and and they did so by blocking an attempt to clear way for a vote on the measure.

The collapse of negotiations could possibly doom General Motors (GM, Fortune 500) to a bankruptcy and closure in the coming weeks, with Chrysler LLC potentially following close behind.

While Ford Motor (F, Fortune 500) has more cash on hand to avoid an immediate crisis, its production could be disrupted by problems in the supplier base, as could the production of overseas automakers with U.S. plants such as Toyota Motor (TM) and Honda Motor (HMC).

However, the Big Three could still wind up getting government funding. Bush officials warned wavering GOP senators earlier Thursday that if they didn't support the legislation, the White House will likely be forced to tap the Wall Street bailout to lend them money, two Republican congressional officials told CNN.

devil21
12-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Sounds like Bush is determined to give your money away, come hell or high water. I guess he still owes some favors to the Big 3's lobbyists before he leaves office.

Flirple
12-12-2008, 12:07 AM
http://www.businesspundit.com/wp-content/crisis-logos/ford.jpg

bluto20
12-12-2008, 12:32 AM
What?! No martial law threats???

TruckinMike
12-12-2008, 01:14 AM
http://www.worldofaram.com/images/gallow_cu.jpg

All hockey puck---

Too bad we didn't have this kind of scrutiny about the real bailout. What a distraction for the sheep. The Politicians get to act like they care about giving our money away on this highly publicized issue, while having tossed our whole country into a tail spin a just few weeks back. Give me a break... and a well built set gallows --- for the treasonous SOB's in congress.

TMike

Knightskye
12-12-2008, 01:56 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/12/business/12auto.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

Just read an article about it.

I had the biggest smile on my face. Especially when I read that part about "a very sad Christmas."

Ho, ho, ho.

I want to see a Peter Schiff interview (after today's failure - or success, depending on how you look at it).

Paulitical Correctness
12-12-2008, 02:03 AM
Voting "yes" were 40 Democrats, 10 Republicans and 2 independents.

Voting "no" were 4 Democrats and 31 Republicans.

Alabama

Sessions (R) No; Shelby (R) No.

Alaska

Murkowski (R) No; Stevens (R) Not Voting.

Arizona

Kyl (R) No; McCain (R) No.

Arkansas

Lincoln (D) No; Pryor (D) Yes.

California

Boxer (D) Yes; Feinstein (D) Yes.

Colorado

Allard (R) No; Salazar (D) Yes.

Connecticut

Dodd (D) Yes; Lieberman (I) Yes.

Delaware

Biden (D) Not Voting; Carper (D) Yes.

Florida

Martinez (R) No; Nelson (D) Yes.

Georgia

Chambliss (R) No; Isakson (R) No.

Hawaii

Akaka (D) Yes; Inouye (D) Yes.

Idaho

Craig (R) Not Voting; Crapo (R) No.

Illinois

Durbin (D) Yes.

Indiana

Bayh (D) Yes; Lugar (R) Yes.

Iowa

Grassley (R) No; Harkin (D) Yes.

Kansas

Brownback (R) Yes; Roberts (R) No.

Kentucky

Bunning (R) No; McConnell (R) No.

Louisiana

Landrieu (D) Yes; Vitter (R) No.

Maine

Collins (R) Yes; Snowe (R) Yes.

Maryland

Cardin (D) Yes; Mikulski (D) Yes.

Massachusetts

Kennedy (D) Not Voting; Kerry (D) Not Voting.

Michigan

Levin (D) Yes; Stabenow (D) Yes.

Minnesota

Coleman (R) No; Klobuchar (D) Yes.

Mississippi

Cochran (R) No; Wicker (R) No.

Missouri

Bond (R) Yes; McCaskill (D) Yes.

Montana

Baucus (D) No; Tester (D) No.

Nebraska

Hagel (R) Not Voting; Nelson (D) Yes.

Nevada

Ensign (R) No; Reid (D) No.

New Hampshire

Gregg (R) No; Sununu (R) Not Voting.

New Jersey

Lautenberg (D) Yes; Menendez (D) Yes.

New Mexico

Bingaman (D) Yes; Domenici (R) Yes.

New York

Clinton (D) Yes; Schumer (D) Yes.

North Carolina

Burr (R) No; Dole (R) Yes.

North Dakota

Conrad (D) Yes; Dorgan (D) Yes.

Ohio

Brown (D) Yes; Voinovich (R) Yes.

Oklahoma

Coburn (R) No; Inhofe (R) No.

Oregon

Smith (R) Not Voting; Wyden (D) Not Voting.

Pennsylvania

Casey (D) Yes; Specter (R) Yes.

Rhode Island

Reed (D) Yes; Whitehouse (D) Yes.

South Carolina

DeMint (R) No; Graham (R) Not Voting.

South Dakota

Johnson (D) Yes; Thune (R) No.

Tennessee

Alexander (R) Not Voting; Corker (R) No.

Texas

Cornyn (R) Not Voting; Hutchison (R) No.

Utah

Bennett (R) No; Hatch (R) No.

Vermont

Leahy (D) Yes; Sanders (I) Yes.

Virginia

Warner (R) Yes; Webb (D) Yes.

Washington

Cantwell (D) Yes; Murray (D) Yes.

West Virginia

Byrd (D) Yes; Rockefeller (D) Yes.

Wisconsin

Feingold (D) Yes; Kohl (D) Yes.

Wyoming

Barrasso (R) No; Enzi (R) No.

Elwar
12-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Aparently there wasn't enough pork attached to it. Don't worry, they'll add some more money and pass it.

lodge939
12-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Bush is considering using TARP money for it

Pepsi
12-12-2008, 08:23 AM
Senator Crapo voteing no on it is a surprise to me becuse he his related to William Crapo Durant, who founded General Motors and Chevrolet..

Andrew Ryan
12-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Lol Crapo.

Cowlesy
12-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Aparently there wasn't enough pork attached to it. Don't worry, they'll add some more money and pass it.

Exactly

georgiaboy
12-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Well, looky there, my two Georgia Senators voted against this paltry $15B, after voting for the $700B bailout of Wall Street.

Making mountains out of molehills. I can't wait to hear them crow during the next primary season about how they were fiscally responsible with my money by voting down this auto bailout. /sarcasm...

Awesome (not really) -- GWB wanting to use TARP for yet another reason for which it was not intended. What happened to the 'if we don't buy up these toxic assets, the economy will collapse' mantra?!?!?