PDA

View Full Version : Small Businesses in Jeopardy -- Please Help!

FreedomFighter8008
12-11-2008, 06:52 PM
A friend of mine just posted this on her blog about the upcoming Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act which would put tons of small business out of business:

http://growingnotes.blogspot.com/2008/12/small-businesses-in-jeopardy-please.html

More data here:

http://nationalbankruptcyday.com/

We have to act now, doing what we do best -- going totally viral -- to nip this in the bud now!

Pete
12-11-2008, 07:04 PM
This has a huge impact. There are many small and cottage businesses that make children's clothing, toys, furniture, etc.

In the future, everyone will be a criminal. :(

angelatc
12-11-2008, 07:07 PM
I posted another thread about it earlier. It passed the House with only 1 vote against it, and passed the Senate with only 2 votes against it.

It is a terrible, terrible law, and it couldn't come at a worse time. Even second hand stores are affected, because they won't be allowed to sell anything that doesn't meet the standards that didn't exist when the things they sell were manufactured.

Footed pj's are very, very dangerous, apparently.

eBay should be fighting this big time.

FreedomFighter8008
12-11-2008, 07:12 PM
No doubt! This is nothing short of criminal -- whether intentional or just the result of pure incomptence on the part of the legislators.

jake
12-11-2008, 07:37 PM
No doubt! This is nothing short of criminal -- whether intentional or just the result of pure incomptence on the part of the legislators.

the politicians are trying to earn brownie points for passing legislation to stop the red dread (chinese imports)

anyone who is harmed as a result, be damned!

Pete
12-11-2008, 08:41 PM
I posted it to my C4L blog, and will take action tomorrow.

FreedomFighter8008
12-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks Pete!

texasbelle
12-11-2008, 09:38 PM
This has been all over the boards I frequent. Mostly SAHMs who run small ebay businesses. It is going to have a huge effect on Ebay and Etsy sales.

Josh_LA
12-11-2008, 09:42 PM
instead of calling Congress why don't they?

1. Beg for people to buy up the toys before they're illegal
2. discount their toys so they can sell it while they can?

Clearly, small businesses are not thinking how to save themselves from the law, there's a reason they're small.

tropicangela
12-11-2008, 10:41 PM

Clearly, small businesses are not thinking how to save themselves from the law, there's a reason they're small.

That, but then what?

james1906
12-11-2008, 10:46 PM

If you were wrongly convicted of murder and sentenced to death, would you

1. Fight like hell to clear your name and gain your freedom, or
2. Spend your time thinking about what you want for your last meal?

angelatc
12-11-2008, 11:17 PM

Ok great - they sell through their existing inventory. Then what? A grandmother who makes baby clothes is supposed to spend $4,000 to certify every design she creates is safe?

Besides, there's more than one reason that businesses are small. Not everybody is interested in being a Fortune 500 company, believe it or not.

It's one thing for Mattel to spread that cost out over 10,000,000 units, but quite another for a cottage industry to allocate it across 25 units.

Go look at Old Navy .com, and see how many kid shirts they sell. Now realize that they need to pay a $4000 fee to get each and every variation of only one shirt approved. Different color? $4,000 please!

How about the clothes my kids are wearing right now? Should I just throw them away when they're done, since selling them in a yard sale will be illegal after February?

My grandfather used to make wooden rocking horses in his garage, and he sold them by putting a little ad on the bulletin board at the gold course. My husband could be sent to prison if he decides to do that after he retires?

This is no time to be putting small businesses out of business.

angelatc
12-12-2008, 02:10 PM
*bump*

georgiapeach
01-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Bump for support!!

Etsy's Open Letter (http://http://www.etsy.com/storque/craftivism/handmade-childrens-items-unintended-consequences-consumer-pr-3056/)

orafi
01-05-2009, 02:26 PM
so is there going to be a black market for diapers?