PDA

View Full Version : Matt Stone and Trey Parker... Ron Paul supporters?

madcat033
09-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Matt Stone and Trey Parker have identified themselves as both Republicans and Libertarians at times. Check out this interview from Reason Magazine:

Reason: Each of you at various points have called yourself libertarian. Is that an apt description?

Parker: People started throwing that word around to describe us right around the second or third season. They would sit us down and go, “So are you libertarian?” And I would always say, “I don’t know, am I? You’ve seen my stuff.”

I still don’t really know the answer to that question. I think I am, though.

Stone: I think it is an apt description for me personally, and that has probably seeped into the show. But we never set out to do a libertarian show.

Stone: ...I guess that defines my political philosophy. If anybody’s telling me what I should do, then you’ve got to really convince me that it’s worth doing.

http://www.reason.com/news/show/116787.html

It seems to me like they are VERY likely to be Ron Paul supporters. They have both identified as libertarian / conservatives, plus they seem to be very supportive of independent thinkers and reason. If you watch South Park, they always cut through all the modern bullshit and really get down to the heart of issues, the logic behind them.

Any word on if they are confirmed Ron Paul supporters? We should email them or something if not. I think they would be GREAT to have on our side.

Kuldebar
09-10-2007, 02:43 PM
It's really hard to tell, I have never heard either of the two speak seriously about any thing in regards to their philosophy. Irreverence can be mistaken for a lot of different things, but are there solid principles behind it?

LibertyOfOne
09-10-2007, 02:43 PM
It's unknown if they know who Paul is. You are right in saying that they are Libertarians. There is no question about where they fall in terms of politics.

madcat033
09-10-2007, 02:44 PM
It's unknown if they know who Paul is. You are right in saying that they are Libertarians. There is no question about where they in terms of politics.

Is there anything we can do to tell them about him? Can we email them?

LibertyOfOne
09-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Is there anything we can do to tell them about him? Can we email them?

From what I gather they are extremely hard to reach, but it would be worth a try.

jumpyg1258
09-10-2007, 02:55 PM
It's unknown if they know who Paul is. You are right in saying that they are Libertarians. There is no question about where they fall in terms of politics.

I highly doubt those two are unaware of Ron Paul, they are usually some of the only people on television that are on top of things regarding current events. If I had to guess who they support, it would be either Paul or Kucinich.

madcat033
09-10-2007, 02:57 PM
I highly doubt those two are unaware of Ron Paul, they are usually some of the only people on television that are on top of things regarding current events. If I had to guess who they support, it would be either Paul or Kucinich.

I donno, I would highly doubt Kucinich. They said in the interview that they were as politically opposite from Michael Moore as you could be. So, I think that rules out Kucinich.

theseus51
09-10-2007, 03:17 PM
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/1393750/posts

The term "South Park Conservative," of course, doesn't apply to Parker and Stone, who quite obviously are not conservatives (another quote of theirs is, "We hate Republicans, but we really f***ing hate Democrats.")

Nash
09-10-2007, 03:19 PM
They'd absolutely support Paul based on their politics. The problem is they are also nihilists and don't really care enough to bend over backwards to support a candidate, especially one whom "can't win" according to the MSM.

I doubt they are the types of people who would go out and change registration to bother voting for Paul, but they'd defin vote for him in the general assuming they even bother voting these days.

Zydeco
09-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Another unsubstantiated thread title. No evidence at all to support the headline.

Let's be a little smarter with our thread titles, please.:mad:

madcat033
09-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Another unsubstantiated thread title. No evidence at all to support the headline.

Let's be a little smarter with our thread titles, please.:mad:

Definitions of question mark on the Web:

a punctuation mark (?) placed at the end of a sentence to indicate a question

I was asking if they were Ron Paul supporters. I wasn't claiming to have substantial evidence of anything. I merely pointed out that their politics were pretty much a direct match with Ron Paul's. Since my headline was a question, there is no statement to be substantiated or evidence required.

Let's be a little smarter... please.

stones88
09-10-2007, 04:43 PM
South Park is my favorite show, they'll bash anyone and everyone. So even if they support Ron, they're not the type who would publicly announce it. They hate celebrities who do so and after watching Team America, I'm not sure they'd be big supporters of the Dr's foreign policy.

Inflation
09-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Matt & Trey aside, South Park Republicans & Arnold's Army are both part of the Ron Paul Coalition.

Zydeco
09-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Yesterday, madcat titled a thread:

"The ACLU and NORML: endorse Ron Paul?"

Bad habit, madcat.