PDA

View Full Version : RARE Arctic Snow Storm Heading for Southern California

dannno
12-10-2008, 06:56 PM
http://www.owsweather.com/pr120808a.html

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA - December 8, 2008 (OWSweather.com) Rare 50 year Arctic Blast Sets Sights On Southern California.

Possible historical cold air mass...

With a week away, and a sure sign of things to come, OWSweather.com is making preparations on the server to handle the traffic from this next event. UJEAS is in line with the majority if not all the other models in keeping a near historical arctic air mass into the Southern California region.

With a warm November, Southern California is finally ready for cold storms to make their way in. Resort level snow will be likely next week, and in pretty hefty amounts if things stay on track. OWSweather.com Meteorologist Kevin Martin predicts a 50 year event. While Martin is usually conservative on these events, the pattern highly favors it.

"We are in a pre-1950 type pattern, "said Martin. "We know we are due for a winter storm sometime this year. The type we may be dealing with will be ranked up there with the known years before 1950, which set record low daytime temperatures into the forecast region. With this, may come low elevation snow."

Forecaster Cameron Venable is seeing very cold temperatures in the Los Angeles areas as well. Torrance is not usually known for winter weather, thus making this an interesting event for Venable to track.

"Temperatures in Siberia, Russia will be -81 degrees this week, "said Martin. "With those type of temperatures the arctic air mass has to spill somewhere. Our answer of the exact track will become more clear this week. All residents in the mountain communities should prepare this week for very cold, winter weather, with snow."

Indications are a second, colder storm could hit near the 18th-22nd time-frame. The details on that will have to be sorted out.

OWSweather.com staff

Meanwhile the icecaps are still melting...

http://firstfriday.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/al-gore-r.jpg

Dr.3D
12-10-2008, 07:03 PM
California shouldn't be trying to grow tropical fruit anyway.

pcosmar
12-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Oh good.
at least it's on that end of the country.
It was -7 here this morning, and got up to 9 by mid day.
I had 2 wood stoves fired up today. This global warming gets any worse I'll have to fire up the 3rd.

RSLudlum
12-10-2008, 07:12 PM
and here in Charleston today we had a high around 79!!! :)

torchbearer
12-10-2008, 07:33 PM
and here in Charleston today we had a high around 79!!! :)

we are getting snow in louisiana. so much for sub-tropics.

pcosmar
12-10-2008, 07:36 PM
we are getting snow in louisiana. so much for sub-tropics.

Does it seem Globally warmer to you there?

ScotTX
12-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Don't think of it as global warming, think of it as redistribution of warmth.

BTW, it's snowing here on the Texas gulf coast tonight!

nodope0695
12-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Take that Al Gore! :D

ihsv
12-10-2008, 10:32 PM
http://robertd.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/al_gore_pinocchio1.jpg

torchbearer
12-13-2008, 02:57 PM
We got Six inches of snow in south louisiana. global warming anyone?

FindLiberty
12-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Global Warming : FAIL

Long live Climate Change! (coming to a taxing authority near you)

State secret : It's all caused by the Sun

torchbearer
12-13-2008, 03:30 PM
oh, and not even my grand parents have seen that much snow... the most ever was a half-inch that melted by lunch.
the snow has stayed on the ground for two days now.

Dieseler
12-13-2008, 03:56 PM
When I looked at the radar the other morning I could not believe my eyes.
About 20 minutes later after verifying what I saw on radar as correct but still mostly unbelieving, a wind descended down upon my house like I have rarely experienced.
I swear it must have been a good 50 mph gust that lasted about 30 seconds. It may have been stronger as the parts of my neighbors shed that have never been blown off did find the back field as I watched in an oh shit state of mind. Luckily that was the only gust of that strength throughout the event. I must assume that the jet stream decided to drop from the sky to say hello and good morning.
I don't think I have ever seen a radar signature show snow that far south before. I think it must have snowed in the Gulf of Mexico that day.
We were expecting the worst ourselves here in East Alabama, but it just sort of died away into a heavy rain event for us.

Dark_Horse_Rider
12-13-2008, 04:32 PM
It is not a linear thing.

youngbuck
12-13-2008, 05:21 PM

Exactly.

RideTheDirt
12-13-2008, 05:50 PM

This

Isn't it funny mars warmed at about the same rate...Must be all the factories on mars:rolleyes:

zach
12-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Next, it's gonna be:

The sun causes global warming! Make sure to reduce your sun usage! Go green!!

:rolleyes:

fr33domfightr
12-14-2008, 11:15 PM
http://robertd.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/al_gore_pinocchio1.jpg
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Just had to add the subtitle. :D

FF

Agent CSL
12-14-2008, 11:26 PM
The snow crystallized on the soft green winter grass, and the sun made a fiery entrance. Faint sounds can be heard, come from the 1970's, "We told you global cooling was real!" As Al Gore makes his triumphant exit back to Mars.

PatriotOne
12-15-2008, 06:34 AM
Meanwhile the icecaps are still melting...

http://firstfriday.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/al-gore-r.jpg

It's hard to make me laugh at 4:30 in the morn but......hahahaha! That's funny.

In the meantime, here in my hometown, it is 13 degrees right now with fresh snowfall on the ground. I can't remember the last time we had snow this early. Average is 29 low/40 high.

Global Warming my ass. I say bring it on because it's freezing out!

Bruno
12-15-2008, 07:49 AM
We got Six inches of snow in south louisiana. global warming anyone?

I bet a lot of kids in your area will never forget that snowstorm and how they first learned how to build a snowman.

Yesterday the temperature dropped here 11 degrees in about three minutes. It kept dropping all day, from a high of 50 degrees to a low of -3 last night. Currently the wind chill is -27.

I'm changing my size 8 Carbon Footprint to Sasquatch size in order to offset this global cooling.

akihabro
12-16-2008, 01:03 AM
Yah its suprisingly cold. Wednesday is suppose to be a high of 48. I can't recall the last time that happened. Snow level to reach 1500-2000ft in our local mountains(I remember when that happened last, rare though)

"I bet a lot of kids in your area will never forget that snowstorm and how they first learned how to build a snowman."-Bruno

I'd rather build a snow fort, add snowmen with Ron Paul 2008 signs, airsoft guns, copies of the constitution. Haha calvin and hobbes gone revolutionary!