PDA

View Full Version : Speed Reading

Nate K
12-09-2008, 12:07 PM
There's a lot of information on the internets (http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=speed+reading&btnG=Google+Search) regarding speed reading.. I actually bought 2 books and a speed reading program for my computer.

It's a tough learning process, and you really have to stick to it. But you're said to be able to read roughly 4x faster if you keep at it. You should all consider speed reading to better your education.

Anyone doing it or done it already?

youngbuck
12-10-2008, 01:35 AM
I always considered this either to be a scam, and basically too good to be true. I'd love to be wrong on that though. If it's possible, I'll put the time in to learn.

Kludge
12-10-2008, 03:04 AM
I took a speed reading course last year, but don't often speed read. Hurts my eyes, gives me a headache, and I don't get to think about the book as I read it.

acptulsa
12-10-2008, 07:38 AM
Took one course when I was a kid. Didn't think any more about it. If it holds my interest, I can finish a 250 page novel in twelve to fourteen hours.

M House
12-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Though I don't know if it's exactly speed reading. If I wanna review alotta material, I just kinda flick my eyes through some sentences focusing on the phrases. You don't really miss much tossing out a good number elements in the sentence that make it complicated. Also you can slow down on the sentences you feel are more important, detailed, or not quite getting the linking in the verbs.

John E
12-10-2008, 10:11 AM
If you simply read more often, you will learn to actually read fast (as opposed to "speed reading" where you are picking out key phrases). Chomp through a few complicated books and you'll be set.

lucius
12-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Works great, took a year long class with persistent drilling/evaluations. Don't enjoy it or use it much; I missed the nuances of the one-on-one dialog with the author that books only provide--books are the stepping-stones of civilization...love to read!

youngbuck
12-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Sounds like I'll just continue doing what I've been doing. Read more, and increase my reading comprehension and speed that way.

HOLLYWOOD
01-11-2009, 07:56 PM
I took 2 Courses on speed reading/online SR stuff... now I read Slower!

then I figured it out...

I have to triple Olived Martinis and my reading has now increased 200%

Damn... Now I have a problem with Comprehension! go figure :rolleyes:

rational thinker
01-11-2009, 11:32 PM
I consider myself a very slow reader. I don't know. I guess getting through Ayn Rand's collection may end up helping me.