PDA

View Full Version : omg lolololollawlLOLZ something at mises.org

Jeremy
12-08-2008, 11:52 PM
http://www.mises.org/content/fun.asp

scroll down to about the bottom and read the thing near the Roller Coaster Tycoon image

Kludge
12-08-2008, 11:54 PM

scroll down to about the bottom and read the thing near the Roller Coaster Tycoon image

IIRC, they had an entire article on why RCT kicks ass in teaching kids economics. Game must be approaching a decade in age, though...

Edit: Duh... It's linked to in that little blurb. http://mises.org/article.aspx?control=772

Jeremy
12-08-2008, 11:59 PM
IIRC, they had an entire article on why RCT kicks ass in teaching kids economics. Game must be approaching a decade in age, though...

Edit: Duh... It's linked to in that little blurb. http://mises.org/article.aspx?control=772

you can buy it for $3 online... less maybe

I had it as a kid... then I got #2. There was even #3... came out ages ago too. So ya, maybe they need to update their site.

John of Des Moines
12-09-2008, 01:56 AM
IMHO a better computer game to learn economics, business, etc. is Railroad Tycoon.

Just saying.

Kludge
12-09-2008, 02:16 AM
RTIII is fantastic and in-depth. RCT lost a lot of its complexity as the series progressed.
http://images.macworld.com/images/legacy/images/content/decgame1.gif

Of course, nothing compares to the in-depth-ness of Wall Street Raider (http://roninsoft.com/) :p

http://www.newfreedownloads.com/imgs/4756-w520.jpg

Conza88
12-09-2008, 03:24 AM
RTIII is fantastic and in-depth. RCT lost a lot of its complexity as the series progressed.

You are your games.. :eek:

werdd
12-09-2008, 06:00 AM
i liked the original theme park, and theme hospital.

make fries really cheap, and really salty. Then charge 100 bucks for a drink. YEP!

Nate K
12-09-2008, 06:14 AM
theme hospital hell yea

acptulsa
12-09-2008, 06:48 AM
I have Empire Builder, which I believe was the inspiration for Railroad Tycoon. It's a board game, and damned fun to play. It also taught my neices and nephew U.S. Geography--or at least gave them a good foundation in it (with the aid of some commentary from my brother and me).

Elwar
12-09-2008, 07:42 AM
On Roller Coaster Tycoon you can open the park with one ride and a gift shop and make really really cheap admission prices and you'll make a whole lot of money without doing anything. The roller coaster eventually breaks down, people get pissed and leave because there's no bathroom but they pay to get in and sometimes buy something at the gift shop.

Easy money. I let it run over night like that and woke up rich.

brandon
12-09-2008, 08:08 AM
i liked the original theme park, and theme hospital.

make fries really cheap, and really salty. Then charge 100 bucks for a drink. YEP!

Yep I was just about to post this. I spent a whole summer playing Theme Park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theme_Park_(computer_game)) on Sega when I was about 11 years old. Great game.

I have never played roller coaster tycoon, but I assume it is very similar to theme park.

brandon
12-09-2008, 08:13 AM
I learned so much from games like Sim City, Theme Park, and Civilization as a kid. These games really are much more valuable than a public school education in related subjects. I still play civilization once in a while.

Andrew Ryan
12-09-2008, 08:14 AM

omg lolololollawlLOLZ

Conza88
12-09-2008, 09:12 AM
I learned so much from games like Sim City, Theme Park, and Civilization as a kid. These games really are much more valuable than a public school education in related subjects. I still play civilization once in a while.

Sim City & Civilization = central planning.. :eek:

ClayTrainor
12-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Age of Empires 3 has a great economic system built in as well. It's simple, but you understand the basics of producing vs consuming.

You have to store multiple resources for different reasons, and each one can be complicated to get especially when resources become limited. You can form alliances with other nations, conduct trade and all sorts of other stuff.

Rome: Total War also had a pretty sweet political and economic system as well.

We should make a thread for good "Economic Games"

Jeremy
12-09-2008, 09:30 AM
I played AoE II (as well as someone else here.... forgot who lol)

didn't like AOEIII....

torchbearer
12-09-2008, 09:34 AM

from an analytical point of view, its actually a person learning the mechanism of the programming and playing to the conditions.

Conza88
12-09-2008, 09:51 AM
from an analytical point of view, its actually a person learning the mechanism of the programming and playing to the conditions.

Yes, its just frustrating when the games are presented as "real" with real life scenarios or historical ones - which contain amazingly flawed premises, and the inability to have a "hands off" or capitalist approach to the game..

:)

Original_Intent
12-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Yes, its just frustrating when the games are presented as "real" with real life scenarios or historical ones - which contain amazingly flawed premises, and the inability to have a "hands off" or capitalist approach to the game..

I agree with you, but it wouldn't be much of a game if "the less you do, the better you do". That wouldn't be much of a "god game".

brandon
12-09-2008, 10:22 AM

The games do simulate real life scenarios. Almost all of history is based on central planning. Free markets are far and few between. Civilization helps one understand central planning, foreign policy and scarcity of resources among other things. It is important to understand how central planning works if you want to argue against it. :D

haaaylee
12-09-2008, 03:22 PM
they make any of these games on nintendos? 'cos that's all i've got.

Conza88
12-09-2008, 05:47 PM
The games do simulate real life scenarios. Almost all of history is based on central planning. Free markets are far and few between. Civilization helps one understand central planning, foreign policy and scarcity of resources among other things. It is important to understand how central planning works if you want to argue against it. :D

Yes, central planning exists - but so do free markets... in a real life scenario. There are some games that use gold as currency aswell.. :o

nate895
12-09-2008, 05:54 PM

However, Sim City teaches you lowering taxes attracts people to your city, and boosts the economy.

I personally like Railroad Tycoon and Civilization, even though it has little to do with real economics, but if you took out a good chunk of the buildings, you have an Austrian economy.

I hope the new Total War edition has more to do with economics than the old ones, where the economics were very basic and only meant to fund your military.

Theocrat
12-09-2008, 05:55 PM

I've enjoyed playing Roller Coaster Tycoon in the past, but I have to say that SimCity 4 (http://simcity.ea.com/index.php) is just as challenging and educational in learning how to work an economy on a larger scale.

Conza88
12-09-2008, 06:38 PM
However, Sim City teaches you lowering taxes attracts people to your city, and boosts the economy.

I personally like Railroad Tycoon and Civilization, even though it has little to do with real economics, but if you took out a good chunk of the buildings, you have an Austrian economy.

I hope the new Total War edition has more to do with economics than the old ones, where the economics were very basic and only meant to fund your military.

What Sim City teaches me is... you can't centrally plan an economy, and thats why I always "lose". Not because I suck. But because the premise of the game does.

If you want to play a real game - Capitalism II. :)

Arklatex
12-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Conza, haha I agree Sim City is central planning at it's finest.

JVParkour
12-09-2008, 10:19 PM
One interesting game that has definitely seen the effects of monetary policy is runescape. I used to play a few years ago (I am 19 now) and it was amazing to see. Money was created as people killed things and got items, money was removed by people buying things in shops and dying. It was completely free trade and you could do whatever. Then the company regulating the game started adding all these monetary regulations to try and stop people from illegally trading gold, and prices went up people got mad. It eventually got to the point where all of the serious players left because they ruined the essentials of the game, and it was now left boring and riskfree.

I always thought that was pretty cool to see firsthand...

Andrew Ryan
12-09-2008, 10:27 PM
One interesting game that has definitely seen the effects of monetary policy is runescape. I used to play a few years ago (I am 19 now) and it was amazing to see. Money was created as people killed things and got items, money was removed by people buying things in shops and dying. It was completely free trade and you could do whatever. Then the company regulating the game started adding all these monetary regulations to try and stop people from illegally trading gold, and prices went up people got mad. It eventually got to the point where all of the serious players left because they ruined the essentials of the game, and it was now left boring and riskfree.

I stopped playing in July of '07. I heard they removed pvp. That's gotta suck.

Conza88
12-10-2008, 02:05 AM

Yep, I played an online mafia game called Bootleggers..

Guy who made it was apparently still a teenager, nerd... 16 or so.. it was fairly popular.. won one of those mmporg voting competitions..

Anyway.. NO idea about monetary policy.. You do missions you get money, 5% each 24hr period interest etc.. inflation was insane... each individual could have billions of dollars eventually.. lol finish the game easy too.

I paid him out about it.. amongst other things.. lol. Got banned :)