PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul fan... but his campaign site is LACKING.

barcop
09-10-2007, 11:48 AM
I have become a fan and supporter of Ron Paul. But the only reason why... is because I took the time to research him past the campaign site.

I started by visiting his campaign site after hearing about him a few months ago. I have to admit that if I didn't dig further than that site, I would have thought like many that he was a bit crazy. After hearing comments about getting rid of the IRS, CIA, etc, etc, etc... it makes one curious to see what this man is all about.

The BIG problem is... that when you visit his campaign site there is no explanation about any of this. You hear that he wants to get rid of this and get rid of that, and then there are no explanations to anything. Sadly to a large number of possible supporters... that is where they end their quest to learn about Ron Paul and dismiss him from further thought.

Then next problem arises when some of the curious do take it the next step and begin searching for more information about him from other sources on his views. Another large group of possible supporters are going to be lost upon running into the vast amount of negative information about Ron Paul, created by both the Neo-cons and Dems, without further investigation into some of the allegations (i.e. racism, abortion rights, etc.).

This goes back to the first BIG problem. A lot of these people that I believe would become supporters are lost because the campaign website doesn't do a good job explaining everything. If it covered all (or at least the biggest ones) views, including his reasoning, why's, how's, and so on then it would make a huge impact why he should be supported.

For example the section about "Life and Liberty". Why does it not explain that although Ron Paul is personally Pro-Life, he wants it to be the responsibility of each state to determine the law and not the government. Clarifying that alone would make a huge difference.

He wants "Health Freedom", but doesn't explain what his plans are to make it happen and what the ending results for the American people will be. I know what he wants... but on the campaign site all you see is a bunch of bills listed that he has opposed or supported and to the average person that really means nothing. Unfortunately it needs to be dumbed down so people understand what his visions are.

And I could go on and on.

I guess my point is, that once you research and get past all of the crap that is out there... you can find the guts of Ron Paul and become a supporter. But and it's a big BUT... the majority of people aren't going to get past the campaign site and right now it does a horrible job of explaining the 30 second statements you hear him say on the television. And to be honest without an explanation... most people unfortunately come to the conclusion that he is "To Far" out there.

I just donated a $100 to his campaign and if anyone from his campaign team reads this... I ask that you use part of my $100 to pay someone to type his entire views from A to Z, so he won't lose so many potential supporters and he might actually have a shot at winning this thing.

Sorry for the long post.

ghemminger
09-10-2007, 11:50 AM
BTW

Welcome to the Revolution!

So, you have just discovered Ron Paul. Congratulations and welcome to the revolution! Many of you have never been involved with a political movement before. I was you merely six months ago. I expect that you are much like I was a few months ago, unsure of what to do next. Hopefully this will give you a little orientation to the Ron Paul Revolution!

1)There is no national direction for our grassroots campaign- so don't wait for instructions.

This may come as a surprise to you, but we are a true grassroots movement. The signs you see, the fliers you have received, and the Internet dominance we have achieved have been independent from the national campaign. So what does this mean to you? Since no one is in charge, we have to take charge for ourselves. Ideally this would be done through your local Meetup group. These small groups are the smaller cells that make up the body of the campaign. You can access Meetup directly, or go through the www.RonPaul2008.com website. Join a local group and see what they are doing. You may find that working with a small local group is better than going it alone. This does, however, lead me to my second point

2)Ron Paul attracts many different types of people, so understand that you will disagree with some of the people you meet.

Don't feel intimidated or get angry with people who feel differently than you. Focus on the main goal of getting Ron Paul the Republican Nomination, and then the Presidency. If political differences become too much, don't be afraid of starting your own group. The worst thing you can do is give up on the movement because of disagreement with some of its members.

3)Think and operate as locally as possible, starting with friends and family

Do you know two people who are unsatisfied with our government? I doubt you could find two people who ARE satisfied. If at all possible, try to “Double Yourself” which is to say, find two people to support the Ron Paul campaign and will “Double” themselves. This sort of growth is exponential, and has been the key to our success thus far. While some meetups and online communities are collaborating on large scale media advertising, don't overlook the importance of convince your own circle of influence. Here is a little joke that might give you some insight

Q: How can you tell you are in a room with a Ron Paul supporter?
A: He'll tell you.

4)Use your talents, abilities, and skills.

During the Revolutionary War, heroes were made out of seamstresses, orators, soldiers, financiers, shopkeepers and more. There is even a place in history for Molly Pitcher, who brought water to soldiers, and manned artillery after her husband fell. Don't try to be someone your not, just use who you are to support the campaign. Bake cookies for neighbors with Ron Paul fliers, talk to your friends or pastor at church, the possibilities are as diverse- and that gives us strength.

5)Don't Forget the Basics

Put a Ron Paul bumper sticker on your car. When possible, wear a “Who is Ron Paul?” T-shirt (people WILL ask you), and keep campaign literature at the ready to give out.

Where you go is up to you. This is new territory for all of us.

Stay informed, Stay Motivated, and most of all Stay Excited!

Useful Sites:
www.RonPaul2008.com
www.Ronpaulforums.com
www.RonPaul.Meetup.Com
www.freeme.tv
www.youtube.com Ron Pauls videos under the YouChoose '08 category

Please Donate to MarchAcrossAmerica.blogspot.com

jj111
09-10-2007, 11:50 AM
They should have a link to RonPaulLibrary.com if they don't.
They should also have a link to his list of articles at LewRockwell.com

mesler
09-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Welcome! :)

LibertyEagle
09-10-2007, 11:54 AM
I've asked them for months to link to Ron Paul Library or Lew Rockwell's archive, but they don't. I don't know why. It's frustrating.

Well, I just called and asked and they said they are aware of the problem and are currently working to at least move over the most popular of his articles and speeches. YEAH!!

Alopederii
09-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Welcome!

I agree. His site is not the best. It looks like the issues page was written by Fred Thompson. Ron Paul can do better than that generic fluff!

The one redeeming factor is the links to the other sites - especially YouTube. I'll second that they really need to add a link to the library... Ron Paul has great opinions! His site should use them!

barcop
09-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Thank you for the welcomes. First I have to say that I have been reading these forums for a month and that has helped me learn a lot. Honestly if I hadn't come across the forums, I probably wouldn't be a supporter of Ron Paul now. You guys do a tremendous job.

But I hate the fact that he is probably losing so many supporters, because his campaign site is so vague on his complete views.

It just seems like such a simple fix and a huge mistake.

FrankRep
09-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Barcop, have you signed up for Meetup.com?

Go here:

http://ronpaul.meetup.com

Type in your Zip code and find a local group.

jj111
09-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Sent to 'mail@ronpaul2008.com'

Dear Campaign Staff:

The “ISSUES” section of www.RonPaul2008.com campaign website is sorely lacking in links to where you can get more detailed information on Ron Paul’s positions and writings.

I recommend you add links to the “ISSUES” section of your web site that take you to places where you can find further information about Ron Paul and his positions.

Links I would suggest include:

www.RonPaulLibrary.com

and

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul-arch.html

I also recommend on the same page, you add an additional link for video information at

http://www.youtube.com/RonPaul2008dotcom

and also this general link to Google Video clips about Ron Paul:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ron+paul

In Liberty,
Me

coastie
09-10-2007, 12:02 PM
I agree with the OP...This is a BIG problem for me right now, I cant go too far in explaining his views to people, because i dont feel I have the info to back it up. And people I've encountered(mostly military), immediately write him off the second they here the classic line "he wants to abolish the CIA, IRS, DOE, etc, etc...."

I understand the info is out there, but, the people we NEED to vote for him are not going to bother doing internet searches past "Ron Paul"....

Coastie

P.S. First post here, hi to all.

*EDIT* ^^^thatnks for that, I'll start just refering to these links.

njandrewg
09-10-2007, 12:06 PM
don't be suprised with the website...all candidates are more or less vague on their campaign sites. Hell Thompson doesn't have ANY views on his. My guess is that this is done in order to avoid alienating someone with a wrong word.

And you may want to read as much as possible...but TRUST ME you are in minority. Most people want to see generic information. "Oh he is against the war? he got my vote!"

My guess is this is done to get you hooked, and then you'll do like the rest of us...and look online for other sources.

jj111
09-10-2007, 12:09 PM
don't be suprised with the website...all candidates are more or less vague on their campaign sites. Hell Thompson doesn't have ANY views on his. My guess is that this is done in order to avoid alienating someone with a wrong word.

And you may want to read as much as possible...but TRUST ME you are in minority. Most people want to see generic information. "Oh he is against the war? he got my vote!"

My guess is this is done to get you hooked, and then you'll do like the rest of us...and look online for other sources.

I wonder if it would hurt or help to have a link to more articles or videos by Ron Paul?? I think it would only help, because only those who care enough would click the links.

maggiebott
ghemminger...what's with the 5 step program? If I were new to a forum and saw your post i would probably run the other way.

jj111
On the other hand, if they click a link to go offsite, then they might miss the "DONATE" page.

ghemminger
09-10-2007, 12:11 PM
ghemminger...what's with the 5 step program? If I were new to a forum and saw your post i would probably run the other way.

Good point - I copied it from someone else and thought it answered a lot of questions for RP noobs:D

sickmint79
09-10-2007, 12:14 PM
i agree with OP too. i think some people will take a slim jim and scoff at get rid of taxes or something of the like and chuck it. i'd like to see flyers that elaborated on points more, have been working to start them but haven't done it yet. :/

barcop
09-10-2007, 12:15 PM

I understand that concept... the problem is that the site has his personal view on abortion and his voting record as a congressman... NOT what his stance would be as president. That alone is losing ALOT of potential Dem voters.

The site doesn't have anything about the war under issues. It doesn't clarify anyting about getting rid of the CIA, etc.

I have to disagree about people wanting generic information (maybe in the past)... but I think there are more people getting involved with the election this year than ever before because everyone wants a change... and his website doesn't do a good job of explaining how he is going to make that change.

barcop
09-10-2007, 12:16 PM
On the other hand, if they click a link to go offsite, then they might miss the "DONATE" page.

target="_blank"

Just open the link in a new window.

HalogenFlood
09-10-2007, 12:25 PM
They should have a content box prominent on the home page that's updated daily or weekly that debunks a misstatement and/or explains one of Paul's positions that had been brought up in the media or at a debate. You'd also be able to click to see the archive of all the past explanations.

I think this would be a great way for people to get the truth directly from the horse's mouth about the things that have been floating around in the media.

Ron Paul Fan
09-10-2007, 12:29 PM
I know the website isn't the greatest but why did you call me out on it? I don't have anything to do with the website barcop! I suggest that you don't start wars around here, especially with me! If you have a problem with the website address that with the campaign, not me. Anyways, I think Dr. Paul is doing what is best for him. If he thinks the website is a good representation of his views then I think we should follow him, not criticize him. We are one nation under God. If we make a mistake, we make it together. We're the United States of America, not the divided states. If we lose the election, so be it. At least we will still have our honor.

Spirit of '76
09-10-2007, 12:32 PM
It's funny you say this when the nature of his site is largely considered to be the secret to his success thus far. Hosting all of the information and networking tools off-site has been hugely beneficial to building the grassroots network using already-existing social networking tools.

Fred Thompson payed big bucks to the Bivings Group to have them study Ron Paul's online strategy and attempt to emulate it. Go look at his new site; it's set up exactly the same way.

Bison
09-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Check out his House website http://www.house.gov/paul/ and check out his Texas Straight Talk column that he publishes every monday. Here is a direct link to the index of the columns http://www.house.gov/paul/legis_tst.htm

Lord Xar
09-10-2007, 12:35 PM
They should have a link to RonPaulLibrary.com if they don't.
They should also have a link to his list of articles at LewRockwell.com

yeah.. I posted this to DON and he said he'd pass it along. I agree, you shouldn't have to LOOK ELSEWHERE to get a better idea of the candidate... he should have links on that site to "ronpaullibrary.com"...

LibertyEagle
09-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Thank you for the welcomes. First I have to say that I have been reading these forums for a month and that has helped me learn a lot. Honestly if I hadn't come across the forums, I probably wouldn't be a supporter of Ron Paul now. You guys do a tremendous job.

But I hate the fact that he is probably losing so many supporters, because his campaign site is so vague on his complete views.

It just seems like such a simple fix and a huge mistake.

I just talked to them. They are aware of the problem and are working on a big update.

LibertyEagle
09-10-2007, 12:48 PM
We are one nation under God. If we make a mistake, we make it together. We're the United States of America, not the divided states. If we lose the election, so be it. At least we will still have our honor.

You're sounding too much like Huckabee there, Ron Paul Fan. :p

max
09-10-2007, 12:54 PM
I've been saying this for weeks!

I dont even refer people to his website. Instead, I show them one of Aravoth's You Tube Videos' (Stop Dreaming or Human Events)....Aravoth's videos touch the heart and mind and can actually illicit tears!

This should be the first thing people see at RP's website....BEFORE THEY EVEN ENTER!

It's very frustrating the way the national campaign is being managed. National TV commercials during primetime should already have been running. RP is up against UNIVERSAL NAME RECOGNITION of Fred Thompson and Rudy and we are still in "Who is Ron Paul" mode.

You can't expect to go from initial name recongnition to supporter overnight. national TV ads, directing people to his site where the first thing they see is Aravoth's video would be a powerful hook......

Who the hell wants to see a bunch of people marching in Iowa? To the newbie, they could be paid supporters for all he knows.

They are paying all this cash to Anita...and she hasn't noticed what we are clearly seeing?...

Don
09-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Fear not, fellow liberty lovers! The new and improved website is being polished and perfected even as I speak. Keep an eye open for it in coming days. New features, new tools, more bling!

As far as activation for new supporters goes, this is the list that I have been recommending.

http://freemansburden.blogspot.com/2004/10/initiate-activate-mobile-win.html

Initiate, Activate, Mobilize, Win!

What can I do to help elect Ron Paul President?

1. Register with the national campaign. This will allow the campaign to communicate with you directly and allow them to demonstrate the level of support for Dr. Paul. There are no dues or formal obligations associated with joining the campaign.

2. While you are there, click the links to the YouTube, MySpace, Facebook, Digg, Eventful, and Flickr Ron Paul sites, and set up accounts. Join the Ron Paul groups, participate, watch the videos, and use the discussion groups.

3. Click on the link that says 'donate.' Whether it is $5, $50, $500 or $2300, money is the life blood of politics. The campaign needs money in order to raise money and to run a fifty-state campaign.

4. Join your local Meetup Group and participate. Meetup is the great equalizer. It allows supporters to organize and stage events around the country without centrally directed planning or national campaign resources.

5. Go to Café Press, Ebay, and Google Products. Search 'Ron Paul' and order shirts, yard signs, stickers, ear muffs, and personalized back scratchers.

6. Educate yourself. Here is a list of great sites to learn about Dr. Paul, the philosophy of liberty, and the daily happenings in the campaign.

a. Ron Paul on Wikipedia
b. Daily Paul Blog
c. The Ron Paul Library
d. America: Freedom to Fascism
e. The Philosophy of Liberty
f. Ron Paul Audio

7. Pester your email list. You love your family, friends, and co-workers - right? You want them to live in a free nation with lots of opportunities - right? Then let them know that there is hope, and give them the chance to get involved themselves. Include links to the campaign site, Dr. Paul's Youtube channel, and 'America: Freedom to Fascism.' There are a number of great issues you can also use to target those things that are most important to your list, (Hemp, Alternative Health Care, 2nd Amendment, etc.), check out the issues section of the campaign web site for some ideas.

8. Sign up for Google and Yahoo News Alerts for 'Ron Paul.' When someone smears him, mischaracterizes him, or dismisses him; leave them a polite, but firm reply. Also consider sending a nice, but firm email so the media will know that we are watching and we won't let them get away with misinforming or under-informing the American people.

9. Register as a Republican and vote!

Ozwest
09-10-2007, 01:03 PM
max... I agree with you but maybe he's holding onto his contributions until this financial quarter is up hoping to get a lift from positive media coverage. He did get alot of coverage last quarter for having more money than McCain.

shadowhooch
09-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Yep, I agree. His website is weak.

I refer people to ronpaullibary.org. That site is what REALLY got me hooked - detailed and all-emcompassing.

bcmiller
09-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Absolutely right!

The front page of the site should knock you over the head with the "Dream On" video and some of the other really moving films that give the message.

It should give a down and dirty opinion on each topic but also link to long form explanations like ronpaulaudio and ronpaullibrary.

The site is lacking and the campaign should lean on the highly technical base of supporters for help.

barcop
09-10-2007, 01:59 PM
I know the website isn't the greatest but why did you call me out on it? I don't have anything to do with the website barcop! I suggest that you don't start wars around here, especially with me! If you have a problem with the website address that with the campaign, not me. Anyways, I think Dr. Paul is doing what is best for him. If he thinks the website is a good representation of his views then I think we should follow him, not criticize him. We are one nation under God. If we make a mistake, we make it together. We're the United States of America, not the divided states. If we lose the election, so be it. At least we will still have our honor.

Alright Huckapaul or is it Ronabee :D

barcop
09-10-2007, 02:02 PM
I just talked to them. They are aware of the problem and are working on a big update.

Sounds great. I think it will be a huge help.

It might have been the right strategy to keep him mysterious at first... but his name is getting around now at a rapid rate and it's time to blow all the doubters and nay sayers away now. Take away there ammunition.

Lord Xar
09-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Fear not, fellow liberty lovers! The new and improved website is being polished and perfected even as I speak. Keep an eye open for it in coming days. New features, new tools, more bling!

As far as activation for new supporters goes, this is the list that I have been recommending.

http://freemansburden.blogspot.com/2004/10/initiate-activate-mobile-win.html

Initiate, Activate, Mobilize, Win!

What can I do to help elect Ron Paul President?

1. Register with the national campaign. This will allow the campaign to communicate with you directly and allow them to demonstrate the level of support for Dr. Paul. There are no dues or formal obligations associated with joining the campaign.

2. While you are there, click the links to the YouTube, MySpace, Facebook, Digg, Eventful, and Flickr Ron Paul sites, and set up accounts. Join the Ron Paul groups, participate, watch the videos, and use the discussion groups.

3. Click on the link that says 'donate.' Whether it is $5, $50, $500 or $2300, money is the life blood of politics. The campaign needs money in order to raise money and to run a fifty-state campaign.

4. Join your local Meetup Group and participate. Meetup is the great equalizer. It allows supporters to organize and stage events around the country without centrally directed planning or national campaign resources.

5. Go to Café Press, Ebay, and Google Products. Search 'Ron Paul' and order shirts, yard signs, stickers, ear muffs, and personalized back scratchers.

6. Educate yourself. Here is a list of great sites to learn about Dr. Paul, the philosophy of liberty, and the daily happenings in the campaign.

a. Ron Paul on Wikipedia
b. Daily Paul Blog
c. The Ron Paul Library
d. America: Freedom to Fascism
e. The Philosophy of Liberty
f. Ron Paul Audio

7. Pester your email list. You love your family, friends, and co-workers - right? You want them to live in a free nation with lots of opportunities - right? Then let them know that there is hope, and give them the chance to get involved themselves. Include links to the campaign site, Dr. Paul's Youtube channel, and 'America: Freedom to Fascism.' There are a number of great issues you can also use to target those things that are most important to your list, (Hemp, Alternative Health Care, 2nd Amendment, etc.), check out the issues section of the campaign web site for some ideas.

8. Sign up for Google and Yahoo News Alerts for 'Ron Paul.' When someone smears him, mischaracterizes him, or dismisses him; leave them a polite, but firm reply. Also consider sending a nice, but firm email so the media will know that we are watching and we won't let them get away with misinforming or under-informing the American people.

9. Register as a Republican and vote!

AWESOME!! Looking forward to the new site!!!!!!!!!

ANY "real" eta on when it will be up?