PDA

View Full Version : Letting Hollywood do some of the work for us

Orat
09-10-2007, 11:18 AM
I just heard about this movie coming up called Rendition. It is basically about the US's program for snagging anybody they think is a terrorist and then whisking them off to a country that allows torture.

There are several movies like this which are coming out or have come out, and I think these represent a unique opportunity to reach people at the very moment they are primed for Ron Paul's message.

My idea goes something like this: If you can get there before most people enter the theater itself, you could put liberty cards or some other small (in terms of size) Ron Paul literature on the seats in as inconspicuous a way as possible. Prefferably literature that mentions Ron Paul's opposition to the PATRIOT Act, Iraq War, or specifically Gitmo, etc.

Then what happens is, Hollywood does the work of convincing the audience of the message, then we deliver the man. Consider the fact many theater auditoria hold somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-500 viewers. That is a big impact we can make in one shot. And this could potentially be repeated throughout the day or week, and at multiple screens.

Anyway, meetup organizers, please consider passing this idea to your meetups. And let me know your ideas on this.

Nefertiti
09-10-2007, 07:28 PM
I've never seen a theatre that didn't have seats that flip up, making it impossible to leave fliers, not to mention it is pretty dark and they might wind up trash on the floor

What about buying ad spots during the trailers in the beginning?

Or if you are going to hand out fliers, do it AFTER the film when they are coming out. I think it will have a lot more impact that way.

Orat
09-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Well, my idea was you could either use tape, or print the "flyer" up on a piece of paper much like a "sticky note" (I think Kinkos can do this). Usually the lights are up plenty bright to see something stuck to the seat when you are being seated.

If you flyer people as they are coming out, you'll almost certainly get shown the door right away.

I like the idea of buying ad space though. Only problem there is you want them to see/read about Ron Paul AFTER the movie, AFTER they've been convinced of the idea, not before.

Michele
09-14-2007, 08:37 PM
When I saw Sicko and came out of the theatre, a man was outside the door handing out cards about single payer health care. Since I was working for the Iraq Summer Program at the time, I asked him his strategy, so I might implement something similar in my political endeavors. He calls ahead to see when the movie gets out. And pay attention to what theatre it is playing in. Then do some research, catch a matinee of whatever movie you would like, and then check which doors you would most likely go out of from the theatre Rendition is playing in. Then, show up at that door right before it gets out and be prepared to convert some people to Ron Paul!

TruckinMike
09-15-2007, 04:49 PM
That is a GREAT idea!:D http://www.flickr.com/photos/10553040@N02/1346605955/

I met folks in the parking lot as they were walking to their cars. And as I approached them I would point to the Lit up Ron Paul sign on my truck, while wearing a Ron Paul Revolution T-shirt, to set them at ease. I didn't want any complaints, so I kept it low key. It worked quite well. I did go through the learning curve of how to a approach folks and answering "THE" question, "is he a Democrat or Republican". I learned its best to answer indirectly, "he ran as an liberatarian in '88", and go from there. And as for a Ron Paul description, I left it at "He is a protector of the Constitution". I thought it best to leave it up to him to fill in the details... So I mentioned going to Youtube and his website for more information.

Note: Some folks had a venomous reply to the Republican answer... After all, I was in UNIONVILLE, Wisconsin. They hate republicans there.

Also, Printing a flier for Democrats... and another for Republicans is needed. Ron Pauls message, for some, needs to be brought to their attention slowly. His message is so far off what we're conditioned to hearing it sounds too radical. Just a thought.

Truckinmike

Speaking of movies, Check out http://www.sickandsickermovie.com/ By Logan Darrow Clements. Its the Anti-"SICKO" movie about socialized medicine.