PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts? - Oath Of Allegiance For Naturalization

yongrel
12-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Today I went through the process of naturalization with a friend, and a the end of the whole shabang, the US Citizens and Immigration Services employees put all of the newly-approved citizens in a big room and have them take this oath:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

I had never heard this oath before, and barely was aware of its existence. I always assumed folks just said the Pledge of Allegiance of somesuch other thing.

Anywho, as I was standing in the back listening to this oath being recited, I started thinking about the implications of the words. I'm not sure I have a fully formed opinion of this oath of citizenship, so I'm curious as to what y'all think.

hypnagogue
12-08-2008, 08:23 PM
At least they're up front with what they expect of you with the newcomers. You will fight our wars, you will support our armies, and you will work for our government whenever they believe it expedient. We all live under that situation, except I suppose, we never have to swear to comply.

Kotin
12-08-2008, 08:32 PM
My Edit.

I hereby declare, on oath, that I will absolutely and entirely
support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America
against all enemies, foreign and domestic;
that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;
that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law
and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

sratiug
12-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Today I went through the process of naturalization with a friend, and a the end of the whole shabang, the US Citizens and Immigration Services employees put all of the newly-approved citizens in a big room and have them take this oath:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

I had never heard this oath before, and barely was aware of its existence. I always assumed folks just said the Pledge of Allegiance of somesuch other thing.

Anywho, as I was standing in the back listening to this oath being recited, I started thinking about the implications of the words. I'm not sure I have a fully formed opinion of this oath of citizenship, so I'm curious as to what y'all think.

Sounds like you swore yourself into slavery.

TastyWheat
12-08-2008, 11:52 PM
That should be immediately followed by, "FUCK THAT SHIT!"