PDA

View Full Version : F-18 Crashes into Residential Neighborhood in So. Cal

dannno
12-08-2008, 03:53 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/images/476583/2_61_120808_crash1.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,463725,00.html

An F-18 fighter jet pilot ejected from his plane moments before it crashed into a San Diego neighborhood Monday, sparking at least one house fire.

The jet crashed shortly before noon as it prepared to land at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar. The crash occurred two miles from the base, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor said.

Gregor said the pilot ejected before the crash near Interstate 805. He did not know the pilot's condition or how many people were aboard.

Maurice Luque, a spokesman for the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department, said he didn't know if anyone on the ground was injured.

TV footage showed what appeared to be the remains of a smoldering house and two cars on fire.

Resident Ed Costa said he heard a loud boom and ran outside after returning home from a supermarket...

Uriel999
12-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Oh man, I hope nobody got hurt in that. Also I have to wonder why did that plane crash?

Agent CSL
12-08-2008, 03:58 PM
I just heard. Poor guys, if they ain't got foreclosure to worry about, now there's military jets falling from the misty sky.

My uncle lives in San Diego.. Hmm..

orafi
12-08-2008, 06:05 PM
two people died :(

poor saps, didn't even know it was coming.

Bruno
12-08-2008, 06:23 PM
two people died :(

poor saps, didn't even know it was coming.

I just heard three on Fox. that sucks

dannno
12-08-2008, 07:48 PM
bump

Uriel999
12-08-2008, 09:11 PM
3 people died :mad: :( Why the hell did this jet crash!

brandon
12-08-2008, 09:25 PM
We need to expose the truth of the F-18 Crash!!!

newyearsrevolution08
12-08-2008, 09:26 PM
I feel for the people who died AND their family. You know they are going to rack their brain trying to wrap their head around this one. Out of ALL the houses and places for this jet to crash, why our house?

I guess the only thing that could be good from dieing this way is that you won't worry about what it will be like, if it will be painful or scared or worry about ANYTHING for that matter. Its just POOF, done....

I was talking about this a few weeks ago, as far as what are the odds of a plane or helicopter killing you and the most probable in my mind was it would have to land on my damn house for that to ever happen to me (simply because I don't leave that much). Sad thing is, this stuff DOES happen and more than once a year.

Helicopters, planes and now military jets. Maybe a radar at home will soon be needed BUT even if you saw something coming, what could you really do anyways...

Did they get ages and everything of the people, I am prejudice when it comes to things like this and hope ALL old people died and no kids.... Old people had a chance to be successful, good, bad, happy, sad and so on, random kids dieing makes no sense to me and is hard to listen to or deal with personally but odds are is the same for most parents because they think "what if that was my kid" and so on. Scary stuff.

newyearsrevolution08
12-08-2008, 09:28 PM

I was waiting for SOMEONE to bring up a conspiracy theory angle to this. Maybe they were secret agents and this was really no accident. They ran out of simple deaths like

1. cut brake lines.
2. gas leak inside the house then boom
3. 2 in the back of the head.

So now they are thinking outside the box,

No one would ever believe that we intentionally flew a jet into this house, so yes lets do that. It's not like we can't afford more of these jets on the tax payers dime anyways

woohoo U.S.A All The Way!!!!!!!

seriously though, any real news on this make sure and post it.

pcosmar
12-08-2008, 09:46 PM

Lack of Airspeed+Gravity.

It is a sad tragedy for those that were lost and those that loved them.
But it is also a reality check.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slOY4cSVfy8

orafi
12-08-2008, 10:01 PM

do you think john mccain

was flying the jet plane?

Danke
12-08-2008, 10:05 PM

Are you sure it was a F-18? Or the same one the pilot supposedly ejected out of? :eek:

Expatriate
12-09-2008, 04:43 AM
The pilot ejected safely but the jet killed three people. :(

They say there were two children, a mother and a grandmother in the house, and three of them were killed.

Dequeant
12-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Good thing F-18s don't use hydrazine. People would have been falling over dead all over the neighborhood. A couple Air Force aircraft do...........it's some pretty nasty shit. This was my biggest concern when I initially saw it on CNN, though as I found out, the Navy doesn't use it in their aircraft.

Expatriate
12-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Good thing F-18s don't use hydrazine. People would have been falling over dead all over the neighborhood. A couple Air Force aircraft do...........it's some pretty nasty shit. This was my biggest concern when I initially saw it on CNN, though as I found out, the Navy doesn't use it in their aircraft.

Wow, really? Which aircraft still use that stuff? I remember reading about hydrazine's use by Nazi Germany in the Messerschmitt 163 rocket interceptor, they called it C-Stoff when mixed with methanol I believe. Nasty stuff.

Several pilots literally had the flesh melted off their bones when the fuel tanks ruptured. It was the plane that was the most deadly to it's own pilots not counting the Kamikaze aircraft.

RockEnds
12-09-2008, 07:30 PM
This isn't the first plane that's fallen out of the sky in the last year or two. There's money for Wall Street, but there's no money to repair or replace overused war planes.

Danke
12-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Wow, really? Which aircraft still use that stuff?

The F-16 for one. But in a crash, I'd imagine the fuel would burn up quickly in the fire anyway.

Danke
12-09-2008, 07:34 PM
This isn't the first plane that's fallen out of the sky in the last year or two. There's money for Wall Street, but there's no money to repair or replace overused war planes.

Here is a ~$1.3 billion crash.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f6d_1212714828

RockEnds
12-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Here is a ~$1.3 billion crash.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f6d_1212714828

Was that the one in Guam?

Here's one from Qatar--no video, though.

http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/04/b-1-bomber-cras.html

bj72
12-10-2008, 03:28 PM

No conspiracy here. Engine failure most likely as eye witnesses said they heard nothing. F-18 has two engines. It isn't uncommon for one to fail and for the pilots to be instructed to land on one engine. Heck, my husband has flown on one engine from middle of the Pacific on the way from Hawaii to San Diego, landed home from deployment years ago with crash cars/fire engines on the runway ready to meet him. Usually the jet can get back fine on the one engine. However, if the second goes out, there is really nothing that can be done. The F-18 doesn't glide well. The jet is pretty much uncontrollable. In that case, if the pilot had stayed with it the outcome would've likely been the same with a dead pilot in addition to those that died. Then again, eyewitness said they saw a tail too I think, so eyewitness can be unreliable. It is amazing and a blessing that more people were not hurt.

Civilians need to remember Miramar was there well before the homes that surround it. When we lived there everyone I worked with that had lived there for years remarked that they remember when Miramar and Poway/RB down the road a bit were in the desert...no one went there unless they had to go to the base. The city allowed growth around the air base knowing the risk. There is probably actually more of a risk from San Diego airport. That I'm guessing popped up in the midst of homes already existing and the approach from there looks hair raising.

My heart goes out to the family of those who died, it is certainly tragic. It also goes out to the pilot and his family. I'm sure he did everything he could, but that still will not make it any easier.