PDA

View Full Version : The Repeal a Law Project

ronpaulhawaii
12-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Tastywheat started a WIKI (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=171209) that touches on an idea I floated during the docum3ntary roadtrip...

The idea is quite simple; find a silly/stupid law and get it repealed.

Repeat repeatedly...

This will do a few things beyond the obvious...

Get local groups working on a concrete project together
Give local groups experience working in the system to bring about the change we seek
Increase our networking strength
Increase our respect from the establishment
Increase our visibilty
Increase our numbers

What I envision is for each group to identify a silly law in any locality of their state. (If it is law from a distant locality, identify/recruit a couple "locals" to help "on the ground"). Then, lobby to get it repealed, (letter writing campaigns, petitions, protests, press releases, etc.)

I imagine it is best to create a list of the silliest/stupidest laws in your state and start with the silliest. This will have media value and will be easiest to get repealed.

[Edit - If you are on Facebook, please join the "cause", thanks - http://apps.new.facebook.com/causes/170958]

Success breeds confidence, confidence breeds success.

Onward and Forward

:)

acptulsa
12-08-2008, 11:50 AM
This is freaking brilliant.

Start with the most antiquated and stupid so the media won't consider the thing a threat (what was that municipality that outlawed the consumption of peanuts in churches?), slowly work in some comments like 'is this just a way to ensure they can arrest whomever they want whenever they want?' and then get serious.

Think I'll post this to the local meetup right now, in fact. I love it.

Kotin
12-08-2008, 12:09 PM
I am on board and I must say it is an awesome idea.

eredeath
12-08-2008, 12:12 PM
char

UtahApocalypse
12-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Start Here: http://www.dumblaws.com/ :D

Utah.....

"It is illegal not to drink milk"
"It is considered an offense to hunt whales."

eredeath
12-08-2008, 12:27 PM
char

ronpaulhawaii
12-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Start Here: http://www.dumblaws.com/ :D

Utah.....

"It is illegal not to drink milk"
"It is considered an offense to hunt whales."

These kind links can be good places to start, but they are generally known to be out of date and sensationalized with outright fabrications. In my preliminary research I have found very few examples with citations linked. IOW - this will take some research. There are many ways to go about this, but make sure you have a verified law to go after before sending out any press releases.

One way is to browse these sites and research the specific claims, another would be to go to local libraries and research. Or, one could make friends with local political types and enlist their help in the research phase...

A quick thought, maybe someone can find a link to the necessary procedures to actually accomplish this (like what forms need to be filled out who we should talk to etc...).

An overview would be good, but I bet much will depend on the locality of the said law. Many of these laws are municipal code in smaller towns which may require varied approaches... The collection of the info gathered would be a very good thing...

Glad you guys like the idea.:) I'd imagine the WIKI would be as good as any for a prelim data collection area.

phill4paul
12-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Hats off! Very good way to start.

acptulsa
12-08-2008, 01:14 PM
A quick thought, maybe someone can find a link to the necessary procedures to actually accomplish this (like what forms need to be filled out who we should talk to etc...).

Lawmakers repeal what they write. No one else.

So, we can either appeal to libertarian lawmakers to get themselves a little good (and in some cases humorous--what could be funnier than calling for the repeal of a ban on whale hunting in a landlocked state?) publicity or we can go straight to the public. The latter would be especially good, as we can fire up their sneaking dread that the system of laws is completely screwed up and teach them that something can indeed be done about it.

Of course, the former can be very good as well. It will help our great lawmakers that are already in place build up their name recognition and goodwill among their constituents.

I think the main thing is that when you find one, be sure to get the jurisdiction, chapter, paragraph, verse and whatever else you can find to help identify it. Most of these are nearly forgotten.

Nate K
12-08-2008, 01:21 PM
holy hell, at the very least this idea gave me some damn good laughs..

(PA laws..)

You may not sing in the bathtub.

Any motorist who sights a team of horses coming toward him must pull well off the road, cover his car with a blanket or canvas that blends with the countryside, and let the horses pass.

You may not catch a fish by any body part except the mouth.

Dynamite is not to be used to catch fish.

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/pennsylvania

JVParkour
12-08-2008, 01:55 PM
This is an excellent idea! Streamlining the system and getting rid of crap is always a good thing! I am on board!

Lol, the last two actually make sense though...people do that sort of thing. And only hooking fish in the mouth is to prevent people from illegally snagging fish.

Elwar
12-08-2008, 02:57 PM
"Any motorist who sights a team of horses coming toward him must pull well off the road, cover his car with a blanket or canvas that blends with the countryside, and let the horses pass. "

I do this regardless of if its a law or not. It's just common sense.

sratiug
12-08-2008, 05:35 PM
I was arrested once for playing pool after midnight. It is illegal to play pool in my town, even if you own a poolroom, and the poolroom is closed and locked between midnight and 7 am and all day Sunday. It was the same for video and pinball machines. I didn't get to fight the case because the judge threw it out. I tried to tell the dumbass cops but they wouldn't listen, ha ha ha.

It is also illegal to posses alchohol in the county, but somehow the beer trucks don't get stopped on the way into the wet town even though they are clearly labeled. Another case of titles of nobility being granted through licensing and an internal tax on free trade driving up prices.

ronpaulhawaii
12-08-2008, 06:09 PM
No pool after midnight!!! :eek:

:rolleyes:

That seems a decent candidate for a repeal effort :)

:D

penguin
12-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Start with the silly and stupid ones to build up momentum and then go for unconstitutional ones!!

ronpaulhawaii
12-09-2008, 07:19 AM
Start with the silly and stupid ones to build up momentum and then go for unconstitutional ones!!

'zactly :D

ronpaulhawaii
12-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Maybe if those interested in pursuing this posted a thread in their state sub-forum they might find a few more partners...

as well as posting the idea in their own circles

ronpaulhawaii
12-10-2008, 08:52 AM
bump

ronpaulhawaii
12-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Join the FB "cause" and spread the word :)

http://apps.new.facebook.com/causes/170958

IPSecure
12-10-2008, 08:16 PM
If ignorance of the law, is no excuse... Are we expected to know each and every law on the books?

Just how many laws are there?

Will there ever be a 'limit'? (10 Million, 100 Million) What is the magic number?

Ever notice the people sent to DC, are referenced as 'lawmakers'?

Why do they think that their job is to create even more laws?

Why are not they referenced as law abiders?

When is enough, enough?

With Federal, State, County, and City government growing non-stop, just how big do they think they are going to get? Total takeover?

ronpaulhawaii
12-10-2008, 10:40 PM
If ignorance of the law, is no excuse... Are we expected to know each and every law on the books?

Just how many laws are there?

Will there ever be a 'limit'? (10 Million, 100 Million) What is the magic number?

Ever notice the people sent to DC, are referenced as 'lawmakers'?

Why do they think that their job is to create even more laws?

Why are not they referenced as law abiders?

When is enough, enough?

With Federal, State, County, and City government growing non-stop, just how big do they think they are going to get? Total takeover?

I shudder to think how many laws are strangling this country . Hence the idea for this local level project. Start small and work our way up :)

ronpaulhawaii
12-11-2008, 11:08 AM
From what I can tell this law is still on the books in Memphis, TN: It is illegal for a woman to drive a car unless there is a man either running or walking in front of it waving a red flag to warn approaching motorists and pedestrians.

http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/997973.aspx

Elwar
12-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Ran across a great site related to this:
http://www.municode.com/

I was able to find my county's list of ordinances.

JoshLowry
12-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Very cool idea.

Reminds me of the marijuana protester in Keene, NH.

Maybe make a subforum for this?

ronpaulhawaii
12-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Ran across a great site related to this:
http://www.municode.com/

I was able to find my county's list of ordinances.

That is a great start, thanks. My state has limited coverage, but this is on the right track. I've been digging through White Plain Ordinances and have not found much to go after. There is a prohibition against trowing trash in public bins that originated elsewhere, (which begs the question of what kind of trash originates in public spaces?), but I can see where such a law would be amended rather than repealed. I imagine many of the sillier laws are going to be found in more "rustic" communities

Very cool idea.

Reminds me of the marijuana protester in Keene, NH.

Maybe make a subforum for this?

I imagine we should go for less controversial laws to start with, but yes, this project will give practice to go after laws such as in the Keene case.

Not sure a sub-forum is necessary at this point, I hope people interested make posts in their state sub-forums. The laws themselves can go in the WIKI... Once people start bringing reports of successes etc. Then we may want a sub-forum.

Thoughts?

ronpaulhawaii
12-12-2008, 10:30 AM
bump

Elwar
12-12-2008, 12:14 PM
I read through my county laws and most were straightforward. The most bizarre I could find was when dealing with your dogs...you must keep your dog indoors while she is in heat.

Strangely enough, that law was just passed last year.

I think the strange laws are the older ones, in towns that don't really spend the time going over old laws. My county seems to keep things fairly well updated.

I mainly read through the animal laws since I have pets and I'm new to the area. I was surprised that one law states that if I'm gone for more than 24 hours and I'm leaving an animal I have to have someone designated to check up on the animal. Sure, it's something I'd do anyway, but there doesn't need to be a law for it. Plus, I have at times left my cat for a week and she's fine. Enough water with the refilling water bowl, several bowls of food left out and a clean cat box. A few others were about dogs bugging neighbors...dog can't bark for more than 10 minutes, can't be outside barking between 11PM and 6AM...common courtesy types of things.

Fields
12-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Join the FB "cause" and spread the word :)

http://apps.new.facebook.com/causes/170958

Added. You should also edit your first post to include this link.

ronpaulhawaii
12-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Added. You should also edit your first post to include this link.

Thanks, done :)

RCA
12-12-2008, 03:29 PM
This is something the CFL needs to get behind as well. Start with the silly laws and work your way up to the big ones once people get used to it.

james1906
12-14-2008, 10:44 AM
I was arrested once for playing pool after midnight. It is illegal to play pool in my town, even if you own a poolroom, and the poolroom is closed and locked between midnight and 7 am and all day Sunday. It was the same for video and pinball machines. I didn't get to fight the case because the judge threw it out. I tried to tell the dumbass cops but they wouldn't listen, ha ha ha.

It is also illegal to posses alchohol in the county, but somehow the beer trucks don't get stopped on the way into the wet town even though they are clearly labeled. Another case of titles of nobility being granted through licensing and an internal tax on free trade driving up prices.

This is your CUE to SCRATCH this law from the books. The local government is BEHIND THE 8 BALL in defending this law. If you FELT that billiards fans need a BREAK, you should carry a petition in your POCKET for others to sign. You have a SOLID argument.

ronpaulhawaii
12-16-2008, 10:43 AM
This is your CUE to SCRATCH this law from the books. The local government is BEHIND THE 8 BALL in defending this law. If you FELT that billiards fans need a BREAK, you should carry a petition in your POCKET for others to sign. You have a SOLID argument.

:eek::D:)

disorderlyvision
07-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Any success with this, or did it go to the idea graveyard?

nayjevin
07-29-2009, 03:13 AM
Never saw this -- great idea.

I don't know anything about writing legislation, but could a slate of laws be repealed in one bill? That would make for great cover story material as papers/magazines outline all the silly laws to be repealed for entertainment value.

Also, of course, if the bill had any success, it could drop multiple laws in one swoop.

ronpaulhawaii
07-03-2012, 12:06 PM
a "used this elsewhere today" bump...

So much to do, so little time

:D

ronpaulhawaii
08-26-2015, 10:18 PM
Some things take a while...

http://www.seacoastonline.com/article/20150824/NEWS/150829548

SEABROOK — A group of state lawmakers are putting a new spin on a Statehouse tradition, encouraging students to submit bills repealing the “dumbest” laws rather than create new ones...

goRPaul
08-27-2015, 10:57 PM
Some things take a while...

http://www.seacoastonline.com/article/20150824/NEWS/150829548

Nice!

ronpaulhawaii
05-07-2016, 09:49 AM
lol # Am driving a box truck halfway across country and my phone browser pulled up this thread while taking a break and checking in...

BUMP!

helmuth_hubener
05-07-2016, 10:06 AM
Hey, that's good news! And good job putting forward this idea so long ago, Mike. May it be, in the words of the old ad, "catchin' on...."