PDA

View Full Version : Pay to Vote and for access.

Chosen
12-07-2008, 01:05 AM
I am not sure I have seen this discussed, I could have also missed it somewhere. But what do folks think about having to pay to vote? I know it is an older idea, but I do not think I have heard much made of this. I think the philosophy that something which has no cost is worth nothing can also be applied to voting.

In addition to this, what about only paying voters having access to the nomination process?

nickcoons
12-07-2008, 10:01 AM
I am not sure I have seen this discussed, I could have also missed it somewhere. But what do folks think about having to pay to vote? I know it is an older idea, but I do not think I have heard much made of this. I think the philosophy that something which has no cost is worth nothing can also be applied to voting.

In addition to this, what about only paying voters having access to the nomination process?

I like the idea of paying to vote because it provides a way to fund the voting process without using taxpayer money.

I also think this could be a viable option if government was reduced such that it had no control over our daily lives. If that was the case, voting wouldn't matter (or it wouldn't be perceived to matter) as much because whomever was elected wouldn't have an impact on our individual lives. Supposedly, the reason voting has to be free now is because you basically have to allow everyone to vote; and you have to allow everyone to vote because the results of the election affect everyone.

Cowlesy
12-07-2008, 10:07 AM
landowners only <IMHO> :p;)

Kludge
12-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Tyranny.

phill4paul
12-07-2008, 10:51 AM
landowners only <IMHO> :p;)

So only the government can vote?

Chosen
12-07-2008, 01:20 PM
I don't think it is tyrannical, unless the right to vote is not affordable. I think if a vote were to cost something, whatever that would be, it would then have value and there would be the incentive to make an involved choice. As it stands votes are meaningless and are treated as such.

Supposedly, the reason voting has to be free now is because you basically have to allow everyone to vote; and you have to allow everyone to vote because the results of the election affect everyone.So it may be fair to say, given our current climate, that a person who choses not to participate in voting is behaving irresponsibly and with intent (possibly) to affect everyone else.

I think that by giving a vote a price, when someone opts out of voting that is a choice on their part, but by doing so they do not get to participate in the election. The vote then has value. Of course price is the key factor here.

I think this would go far in gutting the governments ability to bribe and enslave a welfare class for the purpose of votes.