PDA

View Full Version : Conservative Blogginghead says treatment of Ron Paul voters a "travesty"!

Chieftain1776
12-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Conn Carroll of the Heritage Foundation characterizes the Ron Paul campaign as a "broad success" that was "strangled" by the establishment and instead should have been brought into the tent. Most importantly he says "libertarian populism" is/can be the future of the GOP. Here's the relevant part of the "diavlog" (http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/16323?in=11:23&out=12:19).

The article(s) he refers to I believe are here (http://www.thenextright.com/soren-dayton/lessons-from-the-field)and here (http://www.thenextright.com/soren-dayton/its-not-the-money-its-the-bodies). Here are the relevant quotes:

"At the same time, at some state and local conventions the local parties only maintained control under the attack by Ron Paul supporters by cheating them out of their delegate spots. A more vibrant party could have handled -- and perhaps beaten -- new entrants into the process. A more vibrant party could have built a coalition with those people rather than driven them away. Healthy political parties add people because they help them win. Unhealthy ones drive people away."

"History will probably show that the mistake of squashing of the libertarian grassroots out west in the form of the Ron Paul campaign could resonate for years. Fewer activists, less money, etc. Many people will try to blame McCain and/or his campaign, but I do not believe that a single state party stood up for a significant part of their grassroots. Often, the parties were so weak that they ended up being complicit in tossing out Paul-supporting libertarians because they were afraid of new people coming in and taking over. These same parties were already in desperate places because of their inability to respond to the growing strength of latino voting blocs with outreach to bring them over. These are not the responses of healthy parties."

Maybe a reason to be hopeful...

psalm82x3
12-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Don't worry. Listen to Johnny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e0EQlQXoEo

Chieftain1776
12-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Awesome to hear the song again...never saw the video... really good stuff. I bet the delegates were pissed and understandably so...I saw that video of the guy admitting he broke the rules and was proud of it! But as far as future political action with the GOP...we shall see if they've learned their lesson.

jonahtrainer
12-07-2008, 01:08 AM
Awesome to hear the song again...never saw the video... really good stuff. I bet the delegates were pissed and understandably so...I saw that video of the guy admitting he broke the rules and was proud of it! But as far as future political action with the GOP...we shall see if they've learned their lesson.

The Republicans shot themselves in the foot. All the young people know both parties are not to be trusted as a result of how the Ron Paulians were treated.

Athan
12-07-2008, 11:57 PM
The republican party still needs another ass kicking. I saw we should start reaching out to the left and middle and getting them informed about the federal reserve and the economy. We should put ourselves right in the middle of the media covering the economy and how right we were and how much the msm fucked the country.

Minuteman2008
12-08-2008, 06:02 AM
I don't think the GOP has learned a damn thing. The party leaders think they just need to outpander the Democrats and reach out to Latinos or whatever rather than stand for anything real. I don't mean the GOP has to be led by rigid ideologues, but until they have some firm principles to stand behind they will remain the minority party. John McCain represented everything bad about the GOP and still got the nomination.

These damn fools are going to prop up Sarah Palin and Bobby Jindal as the future of the party, thinking they can outpander the Democrats and show how much they embrace women and minorities in leadership roles. They'll just continue to lose. They need principled leaders, not affirmative action candidates. Race or gender shouldn't make a blind bit of difference either way, but to the pandering idiots in the GOP that is all that matters, so they'll prop up inexperienced, unqalified candidates.

Bradley in DC
12-08-2008, 09:58 AM
There is a great debate going on quietly, internally on these questions. Many are in denial (if only x or y, McCain would have won), while many others see the situation for what it is.

Jordan
12-08-2008, 02:03 PM
We need to continue to spread the liberty message. The GOP is going to continue to look for that small section of the American people that they can take under their wing and lock them in as voters. Consider if the Libertarian voting block was one of the largest, either the dems or republicans would have to play on our terms to win.

libertarian4321
12-08-2008, 02:44 PM
The GOP is a shrinking party- they ought to embrace libertarians like Ron Paul. Instead, they shun them, and weaken themselves even further.

Then they scratch their heads and wonder why they lost, lol.

Primbs
12-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Here is an article I found.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/09/the_libertarian_case_for_palin.html

Yes, Palin is without argument a staunch social conservative. She is fervently opposed to abortion - even in cases of rape and incest, which will raise eyebrows, but is certainly more philosophically consistent than the namby pambyism of your average politician. The choice issue, after all, is complicated, even for many libertarians. And, as I was recently reminded, Ron Paul, the Libertarian champion of the 21st century, also opposes abortion.

speciallyblend
12-16-2008, 03:17 PM
The Republicans shot themselves in the foot. All the young people know both parties are not to be trusted as a result of how the Ron Paulians were treated.

yep pretty much how i feel and i was a new republican.

fr33domfightr
12-16-2008, 05:01 PM
John McCain represented everything bad about the GOP and still got the nomination.

Do you suppose this occurred because of early liberal states, due to open primaries, or ignorance on the part of the electorate??

FF

slacker921
12-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Do you suppose this occurred because of early liberal states, due to open primaries, or ignorance on the part of the electorate??

FF

..... or media force multipliers doing their dirty work. When a candidate gets less than 1% of the media time there is nearly zero chance that the candidate will be taken seriously by the average voter.

The liberals and neoconservatives control the election as long as they control the media.

Bro.Butch
12-16-2008, 06:03 PM

FF

Ron tells you in his own words. McCain and Obama were given (selected for) the nominations.

Ron Paul on Barack Obama and the New World Order: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCHXLvlTTng