PDA

View Full Version : Fake Lincoln Quotes from Lew Rockwell's site

tonesforjonesbones
12-06-2008, 01:28 AM
Wow...look at all these fake Lincoln quotes. i want to get this dudes' book "They Never Said it" TONES

Fake Lincoln Quotes
by Thomas J. DiLorenzo

In his new book Wealth and Democracy: A Political History of the Rich, Kevin Phillips fell for one of the numerous bogus Lincoln quotes that fill the literature on The Great Emancipator. The historian Paul Kennedy fell for it, too, in his review of the Phillips book in the New York Times.

The bogus quotation is: "The money power preys upon the nation in times of peace, and it conspires against it in times of adversity. It’s more despotic than monarchy. It’s more insolent than autocracy. It’s more selfish than bureaucracy.... Corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow...."

Phillips thought he could attach the moral authority of Lincoln to the theme of his book, but as historian Matthew Pinkser wrote on the website, History News Network, on June 3, the quote is nowhere in Lincoln’s collected works, and his official biographer called it "a bold, unblushing forgery."

That same statement is true of a great many other supposed Lincoln quotations in the literature. In his 1989 book, They Never Said It: A Book of Fake Quotes, Misquotes, and Misleading Attributions (Oxford University Press), Paul F. Boller, Jr., devotes the better part of a chapter to fake Lincoln quotes.

For decades, scholars and journalists have been quoting Lincoln as saying, "All that loves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason to America." Labor unions have repeated this quotation endlessly and have published it hundreds of times, but "there is no record of his ever having uttered these words," concludes Boller.

Lincoln was also supposedly an anti-prohibition crusader with the quote, "Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance...for it...attempts to control a man’s appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes." "There is no record" of this pronouncement, according to Boller; an anti-prohibition leader from Georgia apparently fabricated the quotation.

"If I ever get a chance to hit that thing, I’ll hit it hard," Lincoln supposedly said about slavery. But, writes Boller, "he never made the above statement."

Some of Lincoln’s closest friends claimed that he never became a believer, yet for decades he has been quoted as saying, "I have never known a worthwhile man who became too big for his boots or his Bible." But "There is no good evidence that he ever said this..." Nor did he ever say that, after visiting the graves at Gettysburg, "I then and there consecrated myself to Christ. Yes, I do love Jesus!" Another fake, as Boller proves.

Even though Lincoln was the highest paid trial lawyer in Illinois when he was elected, and had long been essentially a lobbyist for the Northern plutocracy, folklore has it that he was "a man of the people." Thus, generations of school children have been subjected to the fake quotation that "God must have loved the common people, he made so many of them." There is no evidence :confused:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/dilorenzo/dilorenzo25.html

Mitt Romneys sideburns
12-06-2008, 01:33 AM
Fake Lincoln quotes? Sounds fun

"If I have but one promise to the American people, it is to put a man on the moon" - Abraham Lincoln

What a visionary

tonesforjonesbones
12-06-2008, 01:34 AM
Yes! I went and ordered that guys book from amazon used for 1. 95! He has a compilation of fake quotes...LOL..I can't wait to read em! Tones

www.truthwarrior.ning.com

Conza88
12-06-2008, 01:35 AM
Fake Lincoln quotes? Sounds fun

"If I have but one promise to the American people, it is to put a man on the moon" - Abraham Lincoln

What a visionary

lmao :D

Mitt Romneys sideburns
12-06-2008, 01:36 AM
And as for the "If I ever get a chance to hit that thing, I’ll hit it hard,", He was talking about Susan B. Anthony.

tonesforjonesbones
12-06-2008, 01:37 AM
That coin didn't go anywhere..people got ripped off because they thought it was a quarter. tones

Mitt Romneys sideburns
12-06-2008, 01:43 AM
"You can put a raccoon in a dog show, but you cant shake two sticks up the river and expect a hound in a tree." - Abraham Lincoln

M House
12-06-2008, 01:51 AM
My teacher wanted to show a bit more critical side of Lincoln showing while he had many progressive views he wasn't actually the greatest friend of racial equality. In the debates we read of his he used derogatory words and descriptions to apply to blacks. I tried googling it awhile back but didn't find anything and I doubt my teacher would just pull them out of thin air. He also wasn't like anti-Lincoln or anything. He liked producing both sides to debates ex. having us read both fed. and anti-fed. papers. Anybody know of anything like this?

tonesforjonesbones
12-06-2008, 02:04 AM
Yes..a lot of truth gets removed. There is a book called the real lincoln...a lot of it in there. tones

Conza88
12-06-2008, 02:09 AM
"You can put a raccoon in a dog show, but you cant shake two sticks up the river and expect a hound in a tree." - Abraham Lincoln

LOL wtf... keep them coming :D

No1ButPaul08
12-06-2008, 02:15 AM
How about a real Lincoln quote

Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable,— most sacred right—a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world. Nor is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government, may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people that can, may revolutionize, and make their own, of so much of the teritory as they inhabit.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
12-06-2008, 02:57 AM
How about a real Lincoln quote

ok

"I must admit, my initial concern for the negro race was spurned by a bad case of jungle fever" - Abraham Lincoln

Aratus
12-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Wow...look at all these fake Lincoln quotes. i want to get this dudes' book "They Never Said it" TONES

Fake Lincoln Quotes
by Thomas J. DiLorenzo

In his new book Wealth and Democracy: A Political History of the Rich, Kevin Phillips fell for one of the numerous bogus Lincoln quotes that fill the literature on The Great Emancipator. The historian Paul Kennedy fell for it, too, in his review of the Phillips book in the New York Times.

The bogus quotation is: "The money power preys upon the nation in times of peace, and it conspires against it in times of adversity. It’s more despotic than monarchy. It’s more insolent than autocracy. It’s more selfish than bureaucracy.... Corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow...."

Phillips thought he could attach the moral authority of Lincoln to the theme of his book, but as historian Matthew Pinkser wrote on the website, History News Network, on June 3, the quote is nowhere in Lincoln’s collected works, and his official biographer called it "a bold, unblushing forgery."

That same statement is true of a great many other supposed Lincoln quotations in the literature. In his 1989 book, They Never Said It: A Book of Fake Quotes, Misquotes, and Misleading Attributions (Oxford University Press), Paul F. Boller, Jr., devotes the better part of a chapter to fake Lincoln quotes.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/dilorenzo/dilorenzo25.html

lincoln the praerie populist anticipating the nomination of william jennings bryan by 30 years? curious thought. andrew johnson in 1875 upon returning briefly to the senate was starting to involve himself with local grangers. is the source of the confusion herndon? like parson weems and george washington, and the cherry tree, a popular folklore can build up. methinks someone AROUND lincoln, over time, could have voiced those very sentiaments. did lincoln ACTUALLY do so! good question!!! ida tarbell is said to have once written a rather authoritative biography of honest abe...

Aratus
12-06-2008, 08:47 AM
the first quote is more apt to be closer to something andrew jackson once actually said,
it has either an 1830s feel, and is more like the greenback liturature of the 1880s & 1890s...
parson weems influenced a generation! http://xroads.virginia.edu/~cap/gw/gwmoral.html
when we turn our potuses into magnificent stone statues, they also are the stuff of legends

John of Des Moines
12-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Lincoln quote: "There is a significant difference between the sexes. On the one hand, a woman being of the fairer sex, has the prerogative of changing her mind. While on the other hand, the man being of a rougher cut, retains the right to whip it out and pretty much piss where he pleases."

http://goldismoney.info/forums/images/smilies/36_1_34.gif

Truth Warrior
12-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Yes! I went and ordered that guys book from amazon used for 1. 95! He has a compilation of fake quotes...LOL..I can't wait to read em! Tones

www.truthwarrior.ning.com (http://www.truthwarrior.ning.com) What makes his book gospel truth? Proving what someone NEVER said seems extremely difficult to me.<IMHO> :D

sratiug
12-06-2008, 09:47 AM
We cannot allow the South to secede. We will not have enough slaves left to support our economy. Though I have hate to free our fine northern slaves in our fine union slave states, and indeed have yet avoided even mentioning that crazy idea, we must now free the Southern slaves in order to maintain our enslavement of the entire South. Even though that may eventually lead to the freeing of our fine Northern slaves, we must take that chance, since our own slaves are insufficient to maintain our standard of living.

Abraham Lincoln - the original American neocon pre-emptive war fascist.

nobody's_hero
12-06-2008, 10:07 AM
"This performance is terrible. I'd rather be dead than have to sit through the rest of Our American Cousin." – Abraham Lincoln

Matt Collins
12-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Yes..a lot of truth gets removed. There is a book called the real lincoln...a lot of it in there. tonesAlso Lincoln UnMasked

heavenlyboy34
12-06-2008, 11:47 AM
"This performance is terrible. I'd rather be dead than have to sit through the rest of Our American Cousin." – Abraham Lincoln

LOL! ;) J.W. Booth FTW!

Matt Collins
12-06-2008, 03:14 PM
LOL! ;) J.W. Booth FTW!I am a relative of his.... and kind of proud of it. :D

heavenlyboy34
12-06-2008, 04:38 PM
I am a relative of his.... and kind of proud of it. :D

I would be too, if I were a relative of his. :D

Deborah K
12-06-2008, 05:04 PM
I am a relative of his.... and kind of proud of it. :D

So...you're proud of the fact that you are a descendant of an assassin of a President.

Grimnir Wotansvolk
12-06-2008, 05:08 PM
So...you're proud of the fact that you are a descendant of an assassin of a President.Of a tyrannical, monstrous president.

The German Resistance movement has statues erected in its honor. What's different about Booth?

heavenlyboy34
12-06-2008, 05:13 PM
of a tyrannical, monstrous president.

+1776 :d

1000-points-of-fright
12-06-2008, 05:16 PM
"A night at the theatre? No thanks. I need that like I need a hole in the head."

Malakai
12-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Dilorenzo is my favorite historian. I love his speeches and presentations they always make me laugh.

sratiug
12-06-2008, 05:22 PM
So...you're proud of the fact that you are a descendant of an assassin of a President.

The worst president in history, a defender of slavery responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths in a pre-emptive war over economics.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
12-07-2008, 12:36 AM
"There are but two kinds of men in this world; those who fuck women, and those whom women fuck over." - Abraham Lincoln

The man was a poet.

Matt Collins
12-07-2008, 12:53 AM
So...you're proud of the fact that you are a descendant of an assassin of a President.I didn't say I was a descendant. I said I was a relative. There is a bit of difference.

Matt Collins
12-07-2008, 01:11 AM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/Obama/Lincoln-Obama.jpg

tonesforjonesbones
12-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Funny. tones

www.truthwarrior.ning.com

tonesforjonesbones
12-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Bump!