PDA

View Full Version : Outreach: Plainfield woman flies U.S. flag upside down to send distress call to leaders

ShowMeLiberty
12-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Debra Brzostowski of Plainfield, Ill., has turned the American flag flying on the front of her house upside down to protest the U.S. government's bailout of failing banks. (Tribune photo by Scott Strazzante / December 4, 2008)

Like many Americans, Debra Brzostowski says she's disgusted that the government has so generously given to rich Wall Street bankers when struggling homeowners have gotten so little in these tough economic times.

To channel that frustration, the small-business owner has written her local representatives in Congress. She's also written the vice president, the president and the president-elect. When she got no response, Brzostowski did the only other thing in her power to do: She turned the American flag flying outside her home upside down.

"This is a distress call to the government," said Brzostowski, 38. "I'm a proud American and I've always supported my government, but there are too many people like me hurting right now."

Full story: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-distressed_nationdec05,0,6924211.story

torchbearer
12-05-2008, 08:44 AM
i'm surprise people even knows what that means anymore...
is there hope?

Maybe we should have a national distress day, everyone hoist an upside down flag.

bonnie blue will still be flying regular.

A. Havnes
12-05-2008, 08:58 AM
I should do that at my house, too!

SLSteven
12-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Maybe we should have a national distress day, everyone hoist an upside down flag.

Good Idea!

chudrockz
12-05-2008, 09:13 AM
That's an interesting idea. I'd consider doing that in our front yard. With a flag pole tall enough it would be seen readily from a busy highway that runs past our house.

Oh, A... hi from Southern Minnesota. :)

mczerone
12-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Like many Americans, Debra Brzostowski says she's disgusted that the government has so generously given to rich Wall Street bankers when struggling homeowners have gotten so little in these tough economic times.

Notice she isn't protesting the government handing out money - only that SHE ISN'T GETTING ANY!

I wholeheartedly agree that the distress signals should be hoisted, but for the reason that the Federal Government has usurped all of the power of the people, without consent or Constitutional backing. Stop the (printing) Presses!

cheapseats
12-05-2008, 09:45 AM
is there hope?[/QUOTE'

Always.

[QUOTE]Maybe we should have a national distress day, everyone hoist an upside down flag.

Setting aside thievery and skullduggery, the nation is in free-fall and the government is incompetent. I would call that distress.

DXDoug
12-05-2008, 10:05 AM
[QUOTE=torchbearer;1855548]
is there hope?[/QUOTE'

Always.

Setting aside thievery and skullduggery, the nation is in free-fall and the government is incompetent. I would call that distress.

Right