PDA

View Full Version : Editorial Pact

Jordan
12-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Though the few thousand of us will never make a difference on this website or even at the polls, the few thousand of us who connect to this site each day can make a much larger difference. We are small group of well educated and highly opinionated political activists, the only problem is that we've been political more than activists.

I think it is time that we begin a new campaign to make the liberty voice heard. We're winning over the younger generations in volumes but the older generation has completely ignored our political movement. We need to target the older demographic and start putting our opinions in media which the older demographic reads. There is no better place to start but in the Editorials section of your local paper.

From here on out I will be sending at least one letter to the editor each week on a liberty related topic. Whether it be my disagreements with the auto bailout or FED policy or even an extremely local issue such as the state of the sewers and fixing schools.

If only a small percentage of this forum began to write editorials to their local papers, we could have huge numbers of people reading the opinion of a liberty minded voter each and every day. This is the best and cheapest way to get our voice out to the American people and target the demographic that has largely ignored us. College campuses know who we are, we need to get the older vote.

This message is viral. Consider how many people you have turned to Ron Paul after giving them the Paulitics 101. Probably many. People will take to liberty minded government, we just have to pique their interest in liberty and they can do the rest.

So in going forward I pledge to write at least one letter to the editor per week, I hope many of you will join in to do the same. There are thousands of libertarians per newspaper, its our job to make our voice the majority.

Who's with me?

mczerone
12-04-2008, 06:12 PM
I do really like this idea, and have myself submitted (but never have had published) quite a few letters to the editor. One problem is making sure that your letter actually gets published, thus making it worth the effort to spend your time writing.

Ideas:

1- Have a closed forum for posting/editing/brainstorming letters to make them as effective as possible.

2- On said forum have a "bank" of previously submitted letters, possibly even make them publicly viewable, like a blog.

3- For any specific day, there are only a few number of relevant topics, so a quick bullet-point list of topic ideas should be published.

3a- While the topic suggestions should inspire writings, the forum should NOT issue form-letters for users to simply submit. Any editor getting two identical letters would throw them both out.

4- There is not likely going to be 100% agreement among all users about what a position should be on a topic, so the forum, while catering to those who follow the 4 Points of Liberty, should remain without a stance toward any other issues (e.g. education, religion, particulars of economics, et al.).

Is there any way that we could do this here? Make a member's only section of the forum (I'd consider paying for a membership) where these ideas could be further fleshed out, but the postings (likely to present incomplete and possibly politically incorrect ideas) would not be viewable by any Tom, Dick, or Harry with a throw-away email address.

Well, even if the more administrative ideas I presented don't materialize, I wish you luck in getting published.

Stay diligent!

nate895
12-04-2008, 06:22 PM
I personally think we should get together a project to make a pamphlet in favor of the liberty message. We should also raise the money to be able to distribute this pamphlet for free to people, and we should also have a quarterly journal that we can distribute for free to people. That would require lots of money, but stuff like that has worked for people of all political beliefs in the past.