PDA

View Full Version : A National Strategy; First Thoughts

CasualApathy
09-10-2007, 02:47 AM
This is a long post, but absolutely critical to read.

From DailyPaul.com:

A National Strategy: First Thoughts
Posted September 9th, 2007 by abstrusezincate

As we head through September and into the heart of the primary campaigning season, one thing that I think about often is how we can work together to help see this campaign succeed. There have been a number of groups trying to approach this from many different angles, some more effectively than others, but we still haven't coalesced into a single purpose, and that probably needs to change.

Usually, I write about things that have been successful locally using this blog because I want to help everyone do their job as effectively as possible. I firmly believe the way to work is through cooperation and suggestion, unlike some who have tried to compel organizations to work under a hard and fast hierarchy. That simply doesn't work, and it is inefficient besides. What organizers need and what they ask for are implements that respond to their needs, so they can have access and then make choices about what works best for their groups. Alliances are voluntary and are done when it makes sense for everyone involved.

In these discussions, however, I have come firmly to believe that we need a national strategy because we are facing a difficult election. We certainly have momentum, but in a case where we face a hostile media, represent a minority of a party, and have limited direction from the national campaign, it becomes imperative that we think ahead. Nothing is fixed in stone, but I am going to lay out a series of suggestions for what I think we should do, what I have convinced my own group and Pennsylvania to support, and hope this stimulates others to look at the big picture.

Pennsylvania has a primary on April 22nd. By that time, the election would be over, and as much as we have done locally, we did not want all of our efforts to be in vain. We therefore started looking at this election critically, and we identified a few key things that have to happen, based on past elections, to win.

1) Network with Supporters Regionally

To accomplish larger tasks, it helps to have regional organization. As a starting point, I suggest working with the groups in your state to set up lines of communication. For instance, I have a great working relationship with George in Philly and Jim in Harrisburg, the other largest groups in my state, and in fact, we are all getting together to meet in person next weekend to work things out. It helps everyone, both locally, and regionally to pool resources.

People erroneously think this has to be done in a way that is restrictive. It does not. It can be empowering. For instance, we combine our resources for sign buys as a whole state so we can hammer down the prices to a much more reasonable cost, helping each of us because we can work together. It is one example, but a good one of why reaching out is important.

For bigger projects, as I've often said, you need more people. I would love to see regional networks form where organizers of the different groups were all in contact with one another. When you are talking, you can share ideas, talents, and resources, and begin to look at how to make a difference in a way that counts. This is starting to happen.

2) Identify Key Primaries Where You Can Help

To win the nomination, you obviously need to win primaries. It starts with New Hampshire, Iowa, and South Carolina. As the schedule gets set, other states may be appropriate also. But, leaving that aside, if you could somehow win all three of these first contests, you would be well on your way to being crowned victor of the primaries, and the amount of momentum gained would be immeasurable.

3) Use Your Networking to Impact Primaries

We have a national network. Just because you live in one state doesn't mean you can't help in another. I envision the northeast helping New Hampshire, the south helping South Carolina, and the plains states helping Iowa. In the months leading up to those primaries, if we plan, there is absolutely no reason we can't have a letter sent to every Republican (or eligible primary voter) in those states, given how many of us are out here.

I can tell you that I've already begun orienting my group, and I've been working with Pennsylvania to see that we all give any support we can to New Hampshire. It is a voluntary association, where they can call upon us, and we independently act to help them. I hope others will do likewise, and spend much of my time trying to create the alliance for my area to accomplish this

Once you bring in a few states, and a number of groups, you go from having the ability to have 350 people working for a goal (as is presently the size of the NH group, for this example) to having 3,000 or more. We become a force to be reckoned with, and we can take on the media, the party, and any opposition because we have the ability to reach where they can't.
4) Get People on the Ground for the Primary

The difference between success and failure is often being able to see someone in person. It is my hope that we will be able to not only provide logistical support, but that we will be able to send an army of volunteers to each of these places just before the primary. We can cover every voting station, canvas many houses, and make a huge impact. One group alone can't do this. One state alone can't do this. One team, working together, planning in advance, just might be able to do so.

5) Win Locally

Having that success, those of us in our states will find our job much easier, and we can work to win our respective primaries. Plus, we can get support from those who we helped before.

Conclusion

My plan is very straightforward and I don't put that many details into it because that isn't what matters. It is the commitment and the energy that is important now, because we can work out the how once we begin talking. My guess is that you need to have a structure where we lay out key goals, and then people will pick them up as they will, and figure out independently how to do that. I also think the national campaign would be able to use these resources indirectly as well, and I know having extra volunteers prepared and aware will help.

What Can You Do?

If you are in a group, think about what you can provide to those who need it, and let them know. Share your talents and your skills. Many of these don't require you to be there in person. Start working with others, and start asking for yourself how do we win this thing? We spend so much time talking about what others are saying about us, acting responsively to their suggestions, like they matter.

The truth is, they only matter so much as we choose to let them. It is very true that the media serve as gatekeepers. But, this is a market system, and if we batter the gate, we can seize the castle. I know there are at least three doors I want to hammer down, and I hope as many people as possible feel the same way.

The difference between success and failure in these things is often planning. Starting now, we can be ready for these challenges, and we can honestly say we did everything possible to win. Start thinking like that, and you'll get somewhere.

It probably sounds a little overwhelming, and it can be. Lord knows I didn't expect to do nearly as much as I have, but the thing is, we all want to see this happen. Once you start talking, you'll be surprised how easy it is to get the focus where it needs to be, and in that, each of us, by convincing those with whom we work on this campaign, has the opportunity to make a difference.

It is a beginning, I think, and over time, you're going to see me talk more about this, about what is happening, and how you can help. I hope you do.

BenIsForRon
09-10-2007, 04:09 AM
Yes, we need to get more meet up groups getting in to this strategic mindset. I'm in North Carolina, so I imagine I'll be very much involved in what's happening in SC very soon. The networking from bottom to top is very important, especially the part about pooling resources for early primary states.

On a related note, can anybody point me to a good source of information about what needs to be done on the local level with the republican party, like becoming a delegate and stuff like that?

Spirit of '76
09-10-2007, 05:50 AM
Tom, help us out down here in WV! We could use your help over in the Northern Panhandle. :)