PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable

James Madison
12-04-2008, 01:07 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/04/clinton.eligible/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

"Another way is simply to ignore the problem on the idea that no one has the right, has the standing, to sue to stop her from being secretary of state."

:(

heavenlyboy34
12-04-2008, 01:09 PM
<QUOTE>"In the past, lawmakers have found a way around the clause, with Congress changing the salary of the office in question back to what it originally was. It happened when Ohio Sen. William Saxbe was named President Nixon's attorney general in 1974 and again when Texas Sen. Lloyd Bentsen became President Clinton's Treasury secretary in 1993.
"There are many ways around this problem," CNN legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin noted. "One is for Congress to vote a lower salary. Another way is for Hillary Clinton simply to accept a lower salary. Another way is simply to ignore the problem on the idea that no one has the right, has the standing, to sue to stop her from being secretary of state." <\QUOTE>

I'd expect it to happen again. :(:p

Chester Copperpot
12-04-2008, 01:21 PM
<QUOTE>"In the past, lawmakers have found a way around the clause, with Congress changing the salary of the office in question back to what it originally was. It happened when Ohio Sen. William Saxbe was named President Nixon's attorney general in 1974 and again when Texas Sen. Lloyd Bentsen became President Clinton's Treasury secretary in 1993.
"There are many ways around this problem," CNN legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin noted. "One is for Congress to vote a lower salary. Another way is for Hillary Clinton simply to accept a lower salary. Another way is simply to ignore the problem on the idea that no one has the right, has the standing, to sue to stop her from being secretary of state." <\QUOTE>

I'd expect it to happen again. :(:p

Jeffrey Toobin is a CFR shill...

I originally was criticial of the OPs interpretation, but after analyzing it personally, I would have to agree.. and a strict interpretation makes her appt unconstitutional.

As for Toobin. Hillary "accepting" a lower salary is moot. The point of govt should not be to "get around" the constitution.. It should be working WITHIN the limitations of the constitution, becaus these limitations on government are a GOOD thing, and their integrity needs to be maintained.

fr33domfightr
12-04-2008, 01:56 PM
The point of govt should not be to "get around" the constitution.. It should be working WITHIN the limitations of the constitution, becaus these limitations on government are a GOOD thing, and their integrity needs to be maintained.

We've seen our government do this many times over the years. Perhaps we need an amendment specifically to thwart this kind of behavior.

FF