PDA

View Full Version : Weigel Can't Resist

Lucille
12-04-2008, 09:06 AM
This (http://www.reason.com/blog/show/130400.html) has nothing to do with Paul, yet he can't resist dragging him into it.

AFAIC, Weigel's defense of Paul in that piece rings hollow. He slaps him with one hand and pets him with the other.

Yeah Dave, we remember, since you remind us as often as possible.

gls
12-04-2008, 09:11 AM
I hear Weigel is leaving Reason to join the equally "libertarian" publication The Economist.

Lucille
12-04-2008, 10:04 AM
I hear Weigel is leaving Reason to join the equally "libertarian" publication The Economist.

That is the best news I've heard all day!

Roxi
12-04-2008, 10:16 AM
i don't get the animosity toward dave weigel? He is a Ron Paul supporter, a friend to the movement, helped out with OLFD, and has helped get RP's name in the news often...

maybe im missing something though? please fill me in

Lucille
12-04-2008, 10:35 AM
i don't get the animosity toward dave weigel? He is a Ron Paul supporter, a friend to the movement, helped out with OLFD, and has helped get RP's name in the news often...

maybe im missing something though? please fill me in

Weigel has never missed an opportunity to bring up the donation or the newsletters. As disappointing as the whole thing was (and is) constant reminders do Paul and the libertarian movement no good at all.

Again, the issue he blogged on had NOTHING to do with Paul, until he dragged him into it.

As it stands now, Weigel's head is so far up Barry's a$$, they will need the jaws of life to remove it.

Roxi
12-04-2008, 10:42 AM
a quote from weigels blog about it

The attack on Paul for having his picture taken in the scrum outside a debate, though, is a smear. Paul's never had an entourage or secret service protection. When Don Black eased in for a photo with Paul, the candidate had no idea what Black looked like. (Did anyone? Black looks a little thinner and greyer than the photos of him that come up on image searches or the photo on Stormfront's banner.) Unless Black came up to Paul and said "I am the blandly-named fuhrer of a white pride site. You share the goals of my revolution," I don't see what Paul was supposed to do.

i don't get how that could be misconstrued as an attack on RP

Lucille
12-04-2008, 10:54 AM
a quote from weigels blog about it

i don't get how that could be misconstrued as an attack on RP

From my first post:

AFAIC, Weigel's defense of Paul in that piece rings hollow. He slaps him with one hand and pets him with the other.

Answer me this. Why did he have to bring Paul up at all? It had nothing to do with him.

Roxi
12-04-2008, 11:13 AM
maybe because hes a ron paul supporter and wants to put ron pauls name out there as much as possible, even including links to prior articles that are related to the person in the story you linked to

no press is bad press right?

i mean, i do get what your saying.... and I can understand why you would feel that way about it, but i have worked with dave before, and he truly is a ron paul supporter, and he is a lot like us, hes a smart ass, and has a style that can be taken many different ways, so I could see how it would be easy to think he was trying to appeal to both sides, but i really don't think thats his intention, i think in this particular case and in many others, he tries to throw ron pauls name out there as much as possible... do i think thats the right tactic? no probably not, but I think his intentions are in the right place.

Elwar
12-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Cato and Reason have been co-opted. They are no longer libertarian sources of information.

Lucille
12-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Cato and Reason have been co-opted. They are no longer libertarian sources of information.

Oh, I dunno. As far as reason goes, I think Balko, Gillespie, Doherty, Walker, Sullem, Root, and Mangu-Ward are all very good. I would add Welch but his voting history is just awful and he thinks the French health care system is a good thing -- that said, I love his snark (he's far more entertaining and far more clever than Weigel) and he's very good on many key issues.

roxic27, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Paul does not need that kind of press, especially when it has nothing to do with him. From where I sit, Weigel's just a shill for Big Dem. Maybe he's one of those "libertarian democrats" I hear so much about?