PDA

View Full Version : What is a "representative democracy"?

danberkeley
12-03-2008, 05:32 PM
What is a "representative democracy"?

I am looking for sources to answer this question. Preferably books and online articles.

Thanks in advance, ya'll! :)

M House
12-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Isn't it a Republic?

heavenlyboy34
12-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Sounds like how a newbie reporter or high school flunkout would say "representative republic". ;)

Kludge
12-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Simply means a democracy in which representatives exist and are democratically elected. Perhaps more simply, a democracy in which people vote on law-makers instead of laws.

You could probably argue that the US was better classified as a Republic when the Senate was elected by the House of Representatives, but with all legislators now elected by popular vote, it's a bit misleading. Maybe you could argue that federal bureaucracies headed by appointed bureaucrats make us a Republic?

danberkeley
12-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Sounds like how a newbie reporter or high school flunkout would say "representative republic". ;)

Are you saying my political science professor is a "high school flunkout"? :confused:

Anyway, I have search the $h!t out of Mises.org and LRC and found a few articles. I am sure Dr. Paul has something to say about it.

danberkeley
12-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Here is what I have written so far. Forgive me for the messiness.

A representational democracy is an indirect form democracy in which the people elect representatives as delegates to the government or, as Wasserman puts it, it is a form of government in which “the people rule themselves indirectly through their representatives…” (page 7 “The Basics of American Politics”). These delegates vote on legislation and are supposed to represent the will or choice of their respective constituents. This form of government gives people the power to dictate matters over their fellow constituents by majority vote. As David Gordon puts it, “[d]emocracy is not a system in which each controls his own affairs but rather one in which the majority controls everyone”. (Gordon http://www.lewrockwell.com/gordon/gordon9.html)

Kludge
12-03-2008, 06:01 PM
It should be noted that in a representative democracy, the majority does not necessarily rule everyone, because representatives (in a representative democracy) do not need to represent their constituents' views. You only get to choose the person, not how they vote.

danberkeley
12-03-2008, 06:09 PM
It should be noted that in a representative democracy, the majority does not necessarily rule everyone, because representatives (in a representative democracy) do not need to represent their constituents' views. You only get to choose the person, not how they vote.

Yes! That's right. I should point that out a "loophole" in the system.

heavenlyboy34
12-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Are you saying my political science professor is a "high school flunkout"? :confused:

Trying to be a little funny, because it sounds so odd-like when someone's learning it for the first time and gets the terminology confused. ;)

danberkeley
12-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Trying to be a little funny, because it sounds so odd-like when someone's learning it for the first time and gets the terminology confused. ;)

I see. That's how my professor wrote it on the assignment, "representative democracy".

Truth Warrior
12-03-2008, 06:54 PM
I'd say just another LIE. :p :rolleyes:

heavenlyboy34
12-03-2008, 06:56 PM
i'd say just another lie. :p :rolleyes:

lol!:d

danberkeley
12-03-2008, 07:03 PM
I'd say just another LIE. :p :rolleyes:

Or: Tis be smoke 'n' mirrors!

Truth Warrior
12-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Or: Tis be smoke 'n' mirrors! That too. :D

literatim
12-03-2008, 07:14 PM
We are a constitutional republic. A representative democracy would be able to change any law or any function of government, including the foundation of their very government, with a simple majority in the body of representatives.

Truth Warrior
12-03-2008, 07:17 PM
"Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure."

Kludge
12-03-2008, 07:17 PM
We are a constitutional republic. A representative democracy would be able to change any law or any function of government, including the foundation of their very government, with a simple majority in the body of representatives.

We only need 5 judges with a "modern" "interpretation"

literatim
12-03-2008, 08:22 PM
We only need 5 judges with a "modern" "interpretation"

Whom aren't elected and the Congress has the power to reign them in if they wish to use it.

0zzy
12-03-2008, 08:54 PM
dont put a link inside the body
do you?

danberkeley
12-03-2008, 09:35 PM
dont put a link inside the body
do you?

no. that was a note so that i know where that quote came from. i know the paragraph was messy.