PDA

View Full Version : Faced With Budget Cuts, Teacher Sells Ad Space On Tests and Quizzes

Knightskye
12-03-2008, 02:02 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/12/03/teacher.ads.on.tests/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

Wow...

Does the DoE have any rules against that?

WRellim
12-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Can we buy ads -- maybe advocating home schooling?
:D

Kludge
12-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Fantastic! Kids will likely be staring at the tests for 10-25 minutes after they're done! Great example of a win-win situation. Too bad it has no place in public schools.

acptulsa
12-03-2008, 02:43 PM

Or better still, can we buy quote space and use it to counter some of the misinformation they got over in Civics?

CzargwaR
12-03-2008, 08:34 PM
If I was a student, I would buy add space on the test and put some answers there.

constitutional
12-03-2008, 08:46 PM
"This test is sponsored by the Haliburton Company..."

F.U. Haliburton for keeping me up all night to study for this test. :p

socialize_me
12-03-2008, 09:07 PM
This is GREAT guys!! Since this quote will take up some real estate, we could double our offer:

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything."

- Abraham Lincoln, Lincoln-Douglas Debate 1858

Ahh yes, the great emancipator.

Austin
12-03-2008, 09:15 PM
This is GREAT guys!! Since this quote will take up some real estate, we could double our offer:

Ahh yes, the great emancipator.

Any reputable source for that quote? Not denying, I just want a source so that I can present it to others.

socialize_me
12-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Any reputable source for that quote? Not denying, I just want a source so that I can present it to others.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Abraham_lincoln

The site also references wrongfully attributed Lincoln quotes. Lincoln said it in the Fourth Lincoln-Douglas debate on September 18th, 1858.

RSLudlum
12-03-2008, 09:23 PM

The Complete Lincoln-Douglas Debates of 1858, pg. 235

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=MuVckHaNQO4C&dq=Lincoln-Douglas+Debate&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=TDFOIMzQ_M&sig=_qcVDnEO84DQnQGSFboRZGyWqs8&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result#PPA235,M1

The Complete Lincoln-Douglas Debates of 1858
By Abraham Lincoln, Stephen Arnold Douglas, Paul McClelland Angle
Published by University of Chicago Press, 1991
ISBN 0226020843, 9780226020846
423 pages

;)

Austin
12-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate that. I'm going to present it to my History teacher (read: Lincoln Lover) and observe his reaction.

CzargwaR
12-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Wow, I didn't know about that quote.

RSLudlum
12-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate that. I'm going to present it to my History teacher (read: Lincoln Lover) and observe his reaction.

Watch out! Some of those Lincoln lovers will say he was playing politics or some mysterious evil had taken him over that he later vanquished from his soul, rinsed with the blood of his fellow countrymen ;)

Ok, Ok yeah your history teacher probably wont go as far as the last statement but many rant in such a way. Also don't forget to mention that he stated if he could save the Union with or without slavery intact it did not matter.

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause."

The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume V, "Letter to Horace Greeley" (August 22, 1862), p. 388.

zadrock
12-03-2008, 10:03 PM

I would prepare to see his head explode. I read that exact quote to my AP American History teacher and I had never seen someone turn purple so fast before or since.

This was in 1991, so my memory is a little foggy, but the conversation went something like:

Teacher: Lincoln, great man, blah blah blah, freed slaves, equality for all

Me (raising hand): Lincoln didn't believe that blacks were equal to whites.

Teacher: What?

Me: He said blacks were inferior to whites.

Teacher: Lincoln never said that.

Me: He did, in the Lincoln-Douglass debates. [Reading same quote as above]

Teacher: (weak rationalization about how Lincoln needed to project that image in order to get elected or some nonsense like that)

Krippy - I'd suggest having a textbook in hand containing that quote when you present this info to your teacher. You can't call Lincoln a racist without supporting evidence. Have fun with it!

Z

Elwar
12-04-2008, 08:34 AM
When I was in high school they had a bunch of TVs put in our rooms and for 20 minutes a day we watched "Channel 1", an educational show akin to Discovery kids or such shows. It was all payed for by the commercials they showed.

I liked it mainly because it gave me 20 minutes to do homework before class started. The other kids liked making fun of the program and quoting the commercials.

Knightskye
12-05-2008, 01:06 AM
:D

Hah. Maybe the CampaignforLiberty, even.

WRellim
12-05-2008, 03:35 AM
Hah. Maybe the CampaignforLiberty, even.

Nah, I was thinking something worthwhile... maybe LewRockwell.com would be a good idea, but not CFR.

No1ButPaul08
12-05-2008, 03:57 AM
On the topic of Lincoln. My favorite quote of his.

Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable,— most sacred right—a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world. Nor is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government, may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people that can, may revolutionize, and make their own, of so much of the teritory as they inhabit.

http://medicolegal.tripod.com/lincolnvmexwar.htm

Knightskye
12-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Nah, I was thinking something worthwhile... maybe LewRockwell.com would be a good idea, but not CFR.

You mean the CFL, right? :D

Jeremy
12-05-2008, 11:34 PM
let's give him some ron paul quotes =D

WRellim
12-06-2008, 01:45 AM
You mean the CFL, right? :D

CFR, CFL... about the only difference is the one letter, right?

Knightskye
12-07-2008, 02:33 PM
CFR, CFL... about the only difference is the one letter, right?

Well, it'd be good if ours (allegedly) influenced foreign policy, wouldn't it? :P

AggieforPaul
12-07-2008, 03:59 PM
When I was in high school they had a bunch of TVs put in our rooms and for 20 minutes a day we watched "Channel 1", an educational show akin to Discovery kids or such shows. It was all payed for by the commercials they showed.

I liked it mainly because it gave me 20 minutes to do homework before class started. The other kids liked making fun of the program and quoting the commercials.

Haha, remember "where will you be in 5 years? Alive?"

AggieforPaul
12-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Lincoln said all sorts of shit. Also be sure to mention to your teacher that Lincoln wanted to ship all black people to haiti, that he put black people in concentration camps during the civil war, that he signed off on the largest mass execution in american history when he allowed the hangings of 38 Native Americans who refused to leave Minnesota after the US government broke a treaty that ceded them that land, and that he voted in favor of the Fugitive Slave Act.

Lincoln wasn't even liked in his own time. He barely won reelection (which was unheard of for a war time incumbent), and he got assassinated by a Northener. Our sickening Lincoln revisionism and deification is even more ridiculous than the pro-Stalin propaganda shoved down the throats of students in Russia.