PDA

View Full Version : Officials in Kenneth City, Fl., want to search private homes

johnwk
12-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Did anyone hear about this?

Kenneth City delays decision on neatness ordinance (http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/article919476.ece#comments)

The proposal basically sets standards for upkeep and appearance and gives town officials the right to enter homes. If the owner refuses to allow the official to enter, the town can go to a judge for an "administrative search warrant" to allow access to the interior of buildings. Violations would cost up to $250 a day

Paul Marino and the city counsel need to learn the law before threatening to search owner-occupied family residences to see if they are “neat“.

Perhaps Marino and Kenneth City’s town counsel ought to start with a review of:

Florida Attorney General
Advisory Legal Opinion
Number: AGO 2002-27 (http://myfloridalegal.com/ago.nsf/printview/830A105DC73A104D85256B910071CDD4)
Date: April 4, 2002

Subject: Code enforcement, search of private property

“The Florida Legislature has made provision for the issuance of limited administrative search warrants in sections 933.20- 933.30, Florida Statutes. These written orders, designated "inspection warrant(s)," must be signed by a judge or committing magistrate and directed to a state or local official to conduct an inspection of any building, place, or structure as authorized or required by state or local law or rule relating to municipal or county building, fire, safety, environmental, animal control, land use, plumbing, electrical, health, minimum housing, or zoning standards.[11] Owner-occupied family residences are specifically exempted from the provisions of this act.[12]

In sum, it is my opinion that a municipal code inspector is without authority to enter onto any private, commercial, or residential property to assure compliance with or to enforce the various technical codes of the county or to conduct any administrative inspections or searches without the consent of the owner or the operator or occupant of such premises, or without a duly issued search or administrative inspection warrant. The procurement and issuance of administrative inspection warrants is governed by the provisions of sections 933.20-933.30, Florida Statutes. However, owner-occupied family residences are exempt from the provisions of sections 933.20-933.30, and a search warrant or prior consent and approval of the owner is required for a search of these premises.”

The bottom line is, there is a vast difference between so called “public accommodations” with regard to “administrative warrants” being issued to conduct inspections of said properties for various types of code enforcement [public health and safety], from those properties which are “owner-occupied family residences ” and are guaranteed the full protection of Florida’s Declaration of Rights, Sec. 12, which requires a “Warrant” and the stringent requirements to obtain said warrant which do not apply to administratively issued warrants.

JWK

" I believe that there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachment of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." ___ Madison Elliot`s Debates, vol. III, page 87 (http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=lled&fileName=003/lled003.db&recNum=98&itemLink)

RickyJ
12-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Just shoot them if they show up and bury their ass in the landfill. :D

That will make it a much neater neighborhood.

Smiley Gladhands
12-03-2008, 12:34 PM
That's insane. Some government bureaucrat is gonna come into my home and tell me to tidy up? Are they going to fine me if my closet isn't properly arranged and color-coded? This is bullshit....the article says that the bill is basically the same as the one passed by two other cities in the area. Unbelievable.

johnwk
12-03-2008, 02:46 PM
That's insane. Some government bureaucrat is gonna come into my home and tell me to tidy up? Are they going to fine me if my closet isn't properly arranged and color-coded? This is bullshit....the article says that the bill is basically the same as the one passed by two other cities in the area. Unbelievable.

And where is our beloved media which has the obligation to speak out against a tyranical government and its trashing of our constitutions, federal and state?

Unfortunately there seems to be a significant number of people, especially in our beloved media, who miss the point of those who object to the ordinance. What is the thinking of a public official, who has taken an oath to preserve and protect constitutionally protected rights, who lends their support in an attempt to enact the ordinance in question?

If the proposal was not such a blatant attempt to subjugate a fundamental constitutionally protected right as the right to be free of government intrusions into the sanctity of one’s home, the apathetic attitude against the town council and city attorney by our beloved media could be somewhat understandable. But what we are talking about here is in fact a proposal intentionally designed by control freaks [for lack of a more suitable term], to intimidate into submission those among us who may not be aware of rights guaranteed to them under Florida’s Declaration of Rights, and, that even armed with an administrative warrant a code enforcement office has no authority to enter an owner occupied residence without the owner's prior permission. And so, if such an ordinance is adopted and the proverbial camel’s nose is allowed into the people’s homes by intimidation of the uninformed, it then becomes only a matter of time before it is customary to allow such searches.

The city council, and especially Kenneth City’s attorney Paul Marino who is responsible for authoring the proposal, ought to be immediately run out of the city on a rail for even considering it.

JWK

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances there is a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air - however slight - lest we become unwitting victims of darkness. _____ Supreme Court Justice William Douglas

Smiley Gladhands
12-03-2008, 02:59 PM
And where is our beloved media which has the obligation to speak out against a tyranical government and its trashing of our constitutions, federal and state?

They're busy guessing what kind of dog the Obamas are going to get, or how freaking awesome that new ring will look on Michelle Obama's finger......you know, the important stuff.

:rolleyes:

slacker921
12-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Just shoot them if they show up and bury their ass in the landfill. :D

That will make it a much neater neighborhood.

ahh.. . you do that often?

johnwk
12-04-2008, 06:21 AM
Kenneth City Commission backs down on home invasion plan. see:

Backlash over Kenneth City blight plan (http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=7998013&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1)

The commission did respond to the critics, agreeing to change some of the plan -- specifically, they removed the page that spells out inspections on the inside of homes.

First of all, the caption ought to have been as I titled it. But what can we expect from our big government loving media?

In any event, keep in mind that when people confront their elected employees as they did in Kenneth City and express their outrage, they can make a difference. This issue generated the largest crowd ever in the history of Kenneth City and the people took to task those who would dare to subjugate their right to be free from government intrusions into their homes.

Great work to the people of Kenneth City!

But I still believe the city council, and especially Kenneth City’s attorney Paul Marino who is responsible for authoring the proposal, ought to be run out of the city on a rail for even considering invading the sanctity of people’s homes.

JWK

Those who reject abiding by the intentions and beliefs under which our Constitution was agree to, as those intentions and beliefs may be documented from historical records during our Constitution‘s framing and ratification process, wish to remove the anchor and rudder of our constitutional system so they may then be free to “interpret” the Constitution to mean whatever they wish it to mean.

angelatc
12-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Kenneth City has the reputation that makes this proposal no real surprise.

I wonder if they would ticket me for not vacuuming properly this week? I was in a hurry and didn't really do the edges. You know, somebody could come in and have an allergy attack because of that. It really does make me a bad citizen.

Plus my son just painted his room orange. I'll bet that's a violation of some sort. (Even I'm not quite sure it shouldn't be, really, but he likes it.)

Anti Federalist
12-04-2008, 08:34 AM
They just keep pushing and pushing, on the right flank, on the left...

That's what "eternal vigilance" means: you can't turn your backs on these sluts for one second.

Nice find John WK.