PDA

View Full Version : "Crossroads of the West" Phoenix, AZ

john_anderson_ii
09-10-2007, 12:21 AM
For my first meet up event ever, I attended the Crossroads of the West Gun Show today in Phoenix, AZ. The event was huge, and there were a ton of gun toting freedom lovers about. I arrived later in the day, I live very far away, and found quite a bit of attention at the Ron Paul booth. I had no clue what I was doing, so I introduced myself to Ed, our coordinator, then grabbed some slim jims and DVDs and headed out into the crowd.

Here's what I learned:

1.) People do not like to be bothered while shopping, so leave the guys haggling price and ogling goods alone.

2.) Lots of people have heard of Ron Paul, and not everyone likes him, some do, some don't, but most just know his name.

3.) Most Everyone is absolutely disgusted with our government and politics in general. They are very suspicious of any politician.

4.) Our meet coordinator is pretty wild and crazy, and that is a powerful asset to have when you are trying to get attention.

For the people who didn't know what Ron Paul is about, I gave a brief positive message, pro-gun related, and handed them a slim jim. For the guys that already knew him and liked him, I urged them to join the group and get active.

Out of literally hundreds, maybe thousands, of people, I ran into three people that disliked him. The first was an older woman who said she would vote for whichever democrat got the nomination no matter what. Then she said she liked Ron Paul a lot, but wouldn't betray her party no matter what. Don't know what to do with that one.

The second case was much weirder. An older couple approached the booth, and I asked the husband if he'd heard of Ron Paul. He said, "Yeah, I have, and he's an idiot." I asked him why he thought that way, but he wouldn't explain himself, and started ignoring me. His wife then said, "He doesn't support the Iraq war, and I can't vote for a man who doesn't." I asked her why she thought continuing the Iraq war was important to the U.S. Her response; "Because I know what my bible tells me." I wasn't prepared at all for that! I thought to myself, "Lady, I'm not touching your issues with a 10 foot pole." However, I said, "Ok, well if we end up staying, I hope we have some good luck." I left it at that.

People who are so disgruntled with the current state of America that they didn't even want to know were pretty common though. I just did whatever I could to get a slim jim and/or DVD into their hands, and tell them that I completely agree, which is why I was out there in the 109 degree heat doing what I was doing.

I can't help but to be optimistic. We got the raw information out to a whole lot of people. We got a few donations, and even got one kid registered to vote republican on the spot. Gun owners and Ron Paul are like peas and carrots.

jasonhlasvegas
09-10-2007, 12:27 AM
I did a few hours of the Crossroads of the West show in Las Vegas, and the reaction I received was comparable to yours. Overall it was very favorable with a hefty mix of "I really don't care about politics anymore". Good luck with your campaigning.

DjLoTi
09-10-2007, 12:29 AM
Right on bro. That's the right way to do it.

ctb619
09-10-2007, 12:30 AM
The second case was much weirder. An older couple approached the booth, and I asked the husband if he'd heard of Ron Paul. He said, "Yeah, I have, and he's an idiot." I asked him why he thought that way, but he wouldn't explain himself, and started ignoring me. His wife then said, "He doesn't support the Iraq war, and I can't vote for a man who doesn't." I asked her why she thought continuing the Iraq war was important to the U.S. Her response; "Because I know what my bible tells me." I wasn't prepared at all for that! I thought to myself, "Lady, I'm not touching your issues with a 10 foot pole." However, I said, "Ok, well if we end up staying, I hope we have some good luck." I left it at that.

Holy hell that is terrifying

American
09-10-2007, 12:37 AM
Awesome, a fine job your doing Mr Anderson, fine job.

Severius
09-10-2007, 12:38 AM
The second case was much weirder. An older couple approached the booth, and I asked the husband if he'd heard of Ron Paul. He said, "Yeah, I have, and he's an idiot." I asked him why he thought that way, but he wouldn't explain himself, and started ignoring me. His wife then said, "He doesn't support the Iraq war, and I can't vote for a man who doesn't." I asked her why she thought continuing the Iraq war was important to the U.S. Her response; "Because I know what my bible tells me."

I know my bible too, and nothing in there says "America is commanded to occupy foreign nations without consideration of the safety of their troops." That is an idiotic statement. Obviously she doesn't know her Bible quite as well as she thinks she does.

john_anderson_ii
09-10-2007, 12:39 AM
That religious lady worried me. Not in the sense that those wakos are going to be damaging to the campaign, but in the sense that she was honest and sincere in her crazy ass convictions.

Do these people think we are fighting a crusade against Islam, like Richard the Lion Heart Vs. Saladin? Do they think that it's OK to rape the middle class for their crusade against Islam?

I seriously wanted to tell her to take her bible, buy a rifle from the vendor next door, and march her skinny butt down to Baghdad, because I was done playing around with her little crusade.