PDA

View Full Version : Meetup group participation

katao
09-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Angelatc posted this in another long thread, and the ideas were so good I didn't want them to get lost. Many of us suffer from lack of participation from many group members and yet there is so much work that needs done to get RP elected. Getting the most of every Paulenteer is critical.

Here are angelatc's suggestions. Do you have additional ones? If so, please add to this thread.

You're never going to get a 100% participation rate, but if you can get people to participate in one or two events, usually they'll stay active. for at least a little while.

1. Run a little fundraiser and buy bumper stickers and yard signs.

2. Make a list of things people can do. Make phone calls, walk on week days, walk on weekends, sign parties, door-to-door operations, volunteer coordinator, collect signatures,....whatever.

3. When people join your meet up, call them on the phone and welcome him/her to your group. Email is no substitute for the human touch. Offer them 2 bumper stickers, and a yard sign if they have a yard. They like the tangible stuff. Also find out what they do "in real life" to see if that skill set is something you can utilize. People are proud of what they do. Go over the list you made in step 2 and ask them specifically which areas they want to help in.

4. Try to plan a door-to door campaign in their neighborhood, and see if they'll walk with you. Next time a new member joins in that area, ask this member if s/he can walk with the new guy.

5. When you plan anything, go back to that list and call people who said they could help with those things. It's harder to say 'No" on the phone than it is to ignore an email invitation.

Yes, I know time is a factor, but "just" make "volunteer coordinator" one of the first spots you fill.

davidhperry
09-09-2007, 10:59 PM
These are really great ideas - especially calling the new members.

Rivington Essex
09-09-2007, 11:02 PM
We try to ping them with an e-mail when they join in new york.

mport1
09-09-2007, 11:08 PM
These are really great ideas - especially calling the new members.

Ditto.

jacmicwag
09-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Great ideas - that initial contact is huge. For me, going to that first meeting was what got me hooked.

katao
09-09-2007, 11:23 PM
One thing I might mention - when talking to new members, help them understand how Ron Paul attracts people from such varied political backgrounds and beliefs.

Help them to understand that they will disagree with the political beliefs of others in the group, and that is a good thing - Conservative Christians, Recovering Neocons, Libertarians, Truthers, Antiwar Liberals ... (the list is endless) What unites us together is Freedom!

I think this has been a stumbling block for some in our local groups to actively particate but it need not be.