PDA

View Full Version : Coded Ammunition Legislation being Rammed Down our Throats?

InterestedParticipant
12-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Are you kidding me, the Ammunition Accountability Act is being pushed in 18 states across the country... they want to forces us to use ammunition carrying a unique identifier by Jan 1, 2011.
http://ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm

The State Legislature hereby finds the following:
Each year in the United States, more than 30% of all homicides that involve a gun go
unsolved. Handgun ammunition accounts for 80% of all ammunition sold in the United States.

Current technology for matching a bullet used in a crime to the gun that fired it has
worked moderately well for years, but presupposes that the weapon was recovered by
law enforcement.

Bullet coding is a new and effective way for law enforcement to quickly identify persons
of interest in gun crime investigations. “Coded ammunition” means a bullet carrying a
unique identifier that has been applied by etching onto the base of the bullet projectile.

Prohibition on possession or sale of non-coded ammunition:
1. All handgun and assault weapon ammunition manufactured or sold in the state after
January 1, 2009, shall be coded by the manufacturer.

2. No later than January 1, 2011, all non-coded ammunition for the calibers listed in this
chapter, whether owned by private citizens or retail outlets, must be disposed.

Agent CSL
12-02-2008, 12:13 PM
"Ma'am, did you know the bullets fired were uncoded and therefore illegal?"

"But I-"

"Ma'am, did you know?"

"No, I assumed being assaulted with a knife and then attempted rape is a time to defend myself."

"Please put your hands behind your ba--"

"But I can show you the rips in my shirt and underwear. I've done nothing but protect myself here!"

"Victim is getting belligerent, suspect in vehicle on way to hospital. Attempting calming procedure, reaching for pepperspray."

............. Sad thing is that this happens in the UK now with their gun laws.

tangent4ronpaul
12-02-2008, 12:16 PM
I don't think this passed anywhere. There is another thread or two about it here.

-t

tonesforjonesbones
12-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Dont taze me bro! I read they are going to pander with the ammo...even to try and give it a shelf life, raise taxes on the ammo makers so it's too expensive to purchase. tones

tangent4ronpaul
12-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Yeah - Obama has a long history of this tomfoolery... in Chicago, he tried to pass legislation that would make a homeowner that shot an intruder in his own home a criminal.

He also tried to ban center-fire rifle ammo because it didn't leave enough of a ballistic trace for police to follow.

It's going to be a rough 4 years!

-t

ihsv
12-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Reload your ammo. Problem solved.

raystone
12-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Reload your ammo. Problem solved.

Read the legislation, any uncoded reloaded ammo would not be legal and must be turned in.

RonPaulCentral
12-02-2008, 12:38 PM
It doesn't matter if this becomes law or not people will not follow it. This includes me and many many many people I know.

For those of us that have large amounts of ammo (say 20,000+ rounds) I doubt it will be "disposed of". They can kiss my ass if they think I am going to toss thousands of dollars down the toilet.

Enough it enough.

RonPaulCentral
12-02-2008, 12:40 PM
...kind of makes me think about turning over gold... that shit is not going to happen either.

Enough is enough... it is simply time for lack of compliance.

ClockwiseSpark
12-02-2008, 12:45 PM
...kind of makes me think about turning over gold... that shit is not going to happen either.

Enough is enough... it is simply time for lack of compliance.

I certainly won't comply but I think the majority of the people will do as they're told.

I saw a story out of Oakland where the police are running a guns for gifts program; turn in your guns for a $100 gift card each. :rolleyes:

RonPaulCentral
12-02-2008, 12:51 PM
I certainly won't comply but I think the majority of the people will do as they're told.

I saw a story out of Oakland where the police are running a guns for gifts program; turn in your guns for a $100 gift card each. :rolleyes:

Yeah thay have done nonsense like that here too. I think they were giving out Nike shoes for any gun. From what I understand they collected a lot of total crap guns, like not even really safe to shoot crap.

I think you might be surprised how many people will NOT do as they are told... There are runs on the gun stores right now. Friend of mine (gun dealer) is on a **5 MONTH WAIT** for parts... distributors are cleaned out.... and a HELL OF A LOT of ammo has been sold. These people went and got their guns and ammo for a reason.. a reason that I doubt will indicate a high level of compliance from folks.

So it makes me wonder... will there be any 50 BMG "coded" ammo available for me to buy to replace my current supply? LOL.... doubt it.

Agent CSL
12-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Yeah thay have done nonsense like that here too. I think they were giving out Nike shoes for any gun. From what I understand they collected a lot of total crap guns, like not even really safe to shoot crap.

Hehe, quite the deal for those sneaky bastards aye. I would be willing to get free shoes for unusable guns. :D

dannno
12-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Dont taze me bro! I read they are going to pander with the ammo...even to try and give it a shelf life, raise taxes on the ammo makers so it's too expensive to purchase. tones

You don't need no gun control. You know what you need? We need some bullet control. Man, we need to control the bullets, that's right. I think all bullets should cost $5,000. $5,000 for a bullet. You know why? 'Cause if a bullet costs $5000 there'd be no more innocent bystanders. That'd be it. Every time someone gets shot, people will be like... 'Shit, they put $50,000 worth of bullets in his ass.' People would think before they killed somebody, if a bullet cost $5,000. ''Man, l would blow your fucking head off, if l could afford it.’ …'You better hope l can't get no bullets on layaway.''

-Chris Rock

rebellious1
12-02-2008, 01:43 PM
FYI This effectively makes it illegal to reload your own ammo.

ShowMeLiberty
12-02-2008, 02:23 PM
FYI This effectively makes it illegal to reload your own ammo.

Interesting. Sounds like a good way to create a lot of new "outlaws".

ihsv
12-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Read the legislation, any uncoded reloaded ammo would not be legal and must be turned in.

What they don't know won't hurt them. And if they really want me to turn it in, I'll comply ... one round at a time through the bore :D

ihsv
12-02-2008, 03:22 PM

You know, speaking of the "guns for gifts" programs that they have all over the country, my wife's uncle is a cop in Indiana, and some "foundation" runs a program like that every year. You turn in your guns, no questions asked, and you get $50-$200 (depending on the type of weapon).

My wife's uncle is an avid gun collector, and had a bunch of cheap, $10- flea-market, maybe-it-works and maybe-it-don't guns lying around the house that he had wanted to get rid of. So, he took about six or eight of them down to trade in.

While he was in line, he noticed that the vast majority of guns were of the same ilk: old, rusted, broken, etc. The old lady in front of him had a REALLY nice Sig or Glock or something that her dead husband had. She didn't know what to do with it, so she decided she'd turn it in. My wife's uncle traded her one of his junk pieces for the nice gun, kept it, and turned in the rest. Then he took the money and went down and bought an "evil assault rifle" :D

His buddies on the force who were manning the tables thought the program was a complete joke. At the end of the day, they had only a handful of guns that looked even remotely safe to shoot.

Danke
12-02-2008, 03:43 PM
While he was in line, he noticed that the vast majority of guns were of the same ilk: old, rusted, broken, etc. The old lady in front of him had a REALLY nice Sig or Glock or something that her dead husband had. She didn't know what to do with it, so she decided she'd turn it in. My wife's uncle traded her one of his junk pieces for the nice gun, kept it, and turned in the rest.

What a great idea. Bring a junk gun and look for someone to trade with before they turn in a gun!

BeFranklin
12-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Maybe they can have vanity bullet names. I wanted William Tell, Lone Ranger, or Death to Tyrants :)

JVParkour
12-03-2008, 09:37 AM
lol, I can imagine them trying to code a .50 cal muzzleloading flintlock roundball... :D

Catatonic
12-03-2008, 10:56 AM
I don't see what the problem is. 20,000 troops are being move to domestic active duty on top of all the north comm bridgades that have been moved here already.

Clearly we will soon be so safe that guns will be obsolete and serialized ammo won't matter.

JK/SEA
12-03-2008, 11:29 AM
I don't see what the problem is. 20,000 troops are being move to domestic active duty on top of all the north comm bridgades that have been moved here already.

Clearly we will soon be so safe that guns will be obsolete and serialized ammo won't matter.

I agree. They could fence in our neighborhoods with a main gate. All you have to do is show picture I.D. with your address on it, and your good to go. The fence with armed military will keep you safe from terrorists.

I'm turning my glock and ammo in today for some new shoes. woohoo!

Agent CSL
12-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Can anyone name ONE country that has banned or restricted guns that didn't have an upswing in crime afterwards? Canada comes to mind, but I believe they're allowed to have handguns and hunting rifles still.

Matt Collins
12-03-2008, 12:46 PM
From my understanding shotgun shells have taggants inside of it to allow for easier tracing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taggant

ClockwiseSpark
12-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Canada comes to mind, but I believe they're allowed to have handguns and hunting rifles still.

I don't think they're allowed to own handguns, only hunting rifles.

Ron Paul Vermont
12-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Way to hold out Vermont, NH, and Maine! Look at that intimidating block of red cutting us off from the rest of the country! What I can't believe is that Kentucky is considering this legislation. What I can believe is that Illinois is considering it though. :D

Number19
12-03-2008, 06:53 PM
How do you tell if a bullet has a code engraved on its base? This makes possession of any bullet, even a legal one, illegal without the box it was purchased in. The box would have the only ID which is readable. Of course, you buy a couple boxes of "legal" ammo, and then when you go out hunting or target shooting, you fill the boxes with "illegal" bullets. You have a closet full of these.

(edit) The brass would also have to be engraved, which is not mentioned. Texas is unlikely to go along and there will be other states. Which means the criminal will have access to and use "illegal" ammunition. The law is not aimed at the criminal, but is obviously intended to impede the possession of arms in the hands of the "patriot".

Deborah K
12-03-2008, 07:12 PM

It is estimated that there are 52 million households with 260 million guns. I'm not sure how many of those gunowners are members of NRA or GOA, but I'd be willing to bet that a good chunk of them would fight to the finish. The gov't knows this and that is why they are now going after our ammo, since there's nothing about ammo in the Constitution. Pretty sneaky.

ihsv
12-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Way to hold out Vermont, NH, and Maine! Look at that intimidating block of red cutting us off from the rest of the country! What I can't believe is that Kentucky is considering this legislation. What I can believe is that Illinois is considering it though. :D

The legislation in Kentucky was pulled the day after it was introduced. The political climate in the Kentucky legislature is such that any legislation like this won't even make it to committee, let alone an actual vote.

ihsv
12-03-2008, 07:50 PM
It is estimated that there are 52 million households with 260 million guns. I'm not sure how many of those gunowners are members of NRA or GOA, but I'd be willing to bet that a good chunk of them would fight to the finish. The gov't knows this and that is why they are now going after our ammo, since there's nothing about ammo in the Constitution. Pretty sneaky.

Even if a mere 5% of those gun owners were willing to shoot back, that's a 2.6 million man (and women) army TPTB have to contend with. That's gotta be making someone sweat a little.

And this buisness about people destroying their ammo is nonsense. No one but the NRA's most legalistic members are going to comply with that.

tangent4ronpaul
12-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Canada banned the M1 carbine - result: 2/3rds of the owners FAILED to turn them in!

-t