PDA

View Full Version : Libertarian leaning politician elected President of EU

emazur
12-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Vaclav Klaus, the second president of the Czech Republic, will assume the role of president of the European Union. He opposed the formation of the EU b/c of a loss of national sovereignty, he is a supporter of the free markets (influenced by Hayek, Friedman, Adam Smith), says too much regulation caused the economic crisis, and opposes collectivism:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/25/world/europe/25klaus.html?_r=3&hp

I submitted this on digg as well:
http://digg.com/world_news/Libertarian_leaning_politician_elected_president_o f_EU#

Agent Chameleon
12-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Wow I'm blown away that the very organization that ignores the outcome of any referendum on the EU is picking such a Euroskeptic.

I don't know what to make of this. :eek:

Agent Chameleon
12-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Vaclav is also a Russophile and sides with Russia on many foreign policy disputes.

And he doesn't believe in global warming... this is too bizarre.

What's next? Ron Paul becoming president of the EU. @_@

nate895
12-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Wow I'm blown away that the very organization that ignores the outcome of any referendum on the EU is picking such a Euroskeptic.

I don't know what to make of this. :eek:

The only reason he is going to be President is that they rotate and his country was next, and he is their Head of State.

heavenlyboy34
12-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Vaclav is also a Russophile and sides with Russia on many foreign policy disputes.

And he doesn't believe in global warming... this is too bizarre.

What's next? Ron Paul becoming president of the EU. @_@

I welcome him to team Underdog Freedom Fighter. :) (assuming he's indeed sincere)

mediahasyou
12-01-2008, 07:33 PM
A benevolent leader sure. But that says nothing about the future. George Washington was supposed to be benevolent. But look where we are today.

Power of the government cannot be held by the benevolent for eternity. Power attracts the non-benevolent.

Andrew-Austin
12-01-2008, 07:35 PM
I feel drenched with worthless rhetoric after reading that NYTimes article.

If he can in any way fudge the EU status quo, then great.

Agent Chameleon
12-01-2008, 07:38 PM
A benevolent leader sure. But that says nothing about the future. George Washington was supposed to be benevolent. But look where we are today.

Power of the government cannot be held by the benevolent for eternity. Power attracts the non-benevolent.

Very true.

However, I do believe Washington really tried to do only what the Constitution allowed him to do. Even when the Whiskey Rebellion was ongoing, he felt strong pangs of guilt and ultimately held back Hamiliton's iron fist.

He also had an opportunity to become King, and yet he turned such offers down, believing in what he had fought for during the Revolution.

I believe things went downhill after Washington's death.

Agent Chameleon
12-01-2008, 07:39 PM
The only reason he is going to be President is that they rotate and his country was next, and he is their Head of State.

Ah that makes sense. Wouldn't surprise me if the EUcrats change the rules at the last minute to block his presidency.

Agent Chameleon
12-01-2008, 07:42 PM
I feel drenched with worthless rhetoric after reading that NYTimes article.

If he can in any way fudge the EU status quo, then great.

/me takes out the de-NewYorkSlimes blow dryer.

2young2vote
12-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Wow i don't think it is possible for any news organization to be more biased against anyone...they seriously didn't say a single good thing about him...