PDA

View Full Version : Does the Constitution protect everybody in America??

socialize_me
12-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Anytime I read the Constitution, I keep seeing this word "Citizen" as if it means anything significant. The Supreme Court has ruled that basically anywhere the federal government exists, so does the Constitution meaning they are even restrained by non-US citizens. However, reading the Constitution, no where does it grant non-citizens the privileges or protections under the Constitution. So is this view that everyone deserves due process of the law so long as they're in US custody is construed and inaccurate, is it not?? It seems to be so if we intend to be strict constructionists. No guarantee to a trial for war prisoners then?? That's only guaranteed to US Citizens as written in the Constitution.

nate895
12-01-2008, 07:21 PM
War prisoners aren't guaranteed trial, and it would be entirely stupid to give them a trial because the purpose of POW is that they have really committed no crime, but they would make war on you if they were released (plus they are bargaining chips in peace talks). You are supposed to keep them until the cessation of hostilities, no longer. International law gives the right of a foreign national to counsel and trial if they are being prosecuted for an offense, and generally their governments provide them with that (that is the primary purpose of an embassy), it is not needed in a Constitution since a country can make war justifiably if one of their citizens is being treated unjustly in another country.

UnReconstructed
12-01-2008, 07:33 PM
the constitution doesn't protect anyone

mediahasyou
12-01-2008, 07:34 PM
lol. the constitution is a piece of paper.

mediahasyou
12-01-2008, 07:36 PM
http://cfbstaff.cfbisd.edu/davidj/Special%20Events/Constitution%20Day/constitution-m.jpg vs. http://www.blackshoediaries.com/images/admin/atomic_bomb.jpg

place your bets.

socialize_me
12-01-2008, 07:46 PM
War prisoners aren't guaranteed trial, and it would be entirely stupid to give them a trial because the purpose of POW is that they have really committed no crime, but they would make war on you if they were released (plus they are bargaining chips in peace talks). You are supposed to keep them until the cessation of hostilities, no longer. International law gives the right of a foreign national to counsel and trial if they are being prosecuted for an offense, and generally their governments provide them with that (that is the primary purpose of an embassy), it is not needed in a Constitution since a country can make war justifiably if one of their citizens is being treated unjustly in another country.

Okay you just took one issue and ran with it by ignoring everything else I said. The Constitution doesn't protect anyone unless you're a US Citizen regardless if you're on American soil.

nate895
12-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Okay you just took one issue and ran with it by ignoring everything else I said. The Constitution doesn't protect anyone unless you're a US Citizen.

Foreign citizens generally don't need more rights than economic and basic criminal ones.

powerofreason
12-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Seems like a simple piece of paper to me.

Brian4Liberty
12-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Whenever a person is under the "jurisdiction" of the US government, the Constitution applies...

UnReconstructed
12-01-2008, 10:10 PM
you guys are funny

tell the cop that tazes your ass that you're protected by the "constitution"... sounds like constipation to me.

Kludge
12-01-2008, 10:13 PM
IIRC, you're still subject to U.S. laws abroad (I believe that was the justification for overseas wiretapping on US citizens) but that the US is unwilling to grant you safeties "guaranteed" by the Constitution.